Soliciting opinions...1 oil filter, 2 different cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy,

I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I bought new in 2002. It is my daily driver. My son has a 2017 Ford Escape. Both use the same size oil filter. They both cross-reference to the FRAM PH3614 size. I have always used Toyota OEM filters on my Tacoma (YZZD1). I've been using the Motorcraft FL-910S filters on my son's car. I like to buy in bulk, so when I purchase filters again I'd ideally like to purchase one filter since they take the same kind.

Questions:
- Would I be better going with either the Toyota or Ford filter and using it on both? I've had good luck with Toyota over the years, but the Motorcraft has a silicone ADBV, which is nice.
- Some third-party filter? Ideally I'd like to be in the $3-4 range per filter.

Worth considering:
- The FL-910S has a silicone ADBV and the filtter is mounted vertically on the Ford. The Toyota OEM filters have nitrile rubber ADBVs and the filter is mounted horizontally.

Well kind depends on you OCI. If you change filters on every OCI a Tough Guard will do just fine. If you change the filter every other time I'd go with the Ultra. Me well I'd look for something in the Bosch Premium line that is 99% at 20 Microns and about $4 at Rockauto or the $1.61 Wix currently at Rockauto.

Last edited:
Good point. I do roughly 7500 mile OCIs on both vehicles and change the filter every time. I'll look at the Bosch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
Can those be had for $3-4 somewhere if I buy by the case?

I can't speak to pricing but here are questions I would ask to better assess your situation:

1. What amount defines bulk for you?

2. How long are your oil change intervals? I ask because a Fram Ultra can easily handle two oil change intervals on many vehicles thus effectively making it double the value.

3. As far as price goes it may be a matter of at what price are committed to purchasing the desired amount of product? We are talking about a very inexpensive item that should not be a big deal for anyone to purchase even at say the Walmart retail price.

I can regurgitate all the marketing claims but the engine will never know the differences in the oil filters for the life of the engines. I have seen many Cars with 250,000+ miles running Quick lube oil and filters. Pick a filter from a major oil filter company and run it.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Can those be had for $3-4 somewhere if I buy by the case?

I can't speak to pricing but here are questions I would ask to better assess your situation:

1. What amount defines bulk for you?
Answer--> 10-12 filters at a time.

2. How long are your oil change intervals? I ask because a Fram Ultra can easily handle two oil change intervals on many vehicles thus effectively making it double the value.
Answer--> 7500 miles.

Last edited:
It looks like the Bosch Premium use a nitrile ADBV, which may be fine. No idea. I just know that the FL-910S is silicone.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1217138&cc=1388987&jsn=1985

Edit: Actually, I lied. It says the gasket is nitrile. When I zoom in on the pic it appears to be orange, which I think normally denotes a silicone ADBV.

Here is the last Bosch Premium I used and did a C&P here on the forum

[Linked Image]

The filter for your two cars is the same filter used in my gen 1 Tundra with the 2UZ-FE V8. I am currently using the Wix 51515 a one-quart filter. However Wix specifices 51348

Here's the $1.61 Wix private label at Rock Auto: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5245498/1 I just bought a case of 12.

if you're set on silicon anti-drainback valve the Wix 51384 Wix labeled filter = NAPA Gold is $3.80/ea in a masterpack of 12 at Rock Auto. Personally I am fine with nitrile, the OEM Toyota filter uses nitrile.

Originally Posted by wdn
The filter for your two cars is the same filter used in my gen 1 Tundra with the 2UZ-FE V8. I am currently using the Wix 51515 a one-quart filter. However Wix specifices 51348

Here's the $1.61 Wix private label at Rock Auto: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5245498/1 I just bought a case of 12.

if you're set on silicon anti-drainback valve the Wix 51384 Wix labeled filter = NAPA Gold is $3.80/ea in a masterpack of 12 at Rock Auto. Personally I am fine with nitrile, the OEM Toyota filter uses nitrile.

Yeah, that particular Wix-made filter is what got me started on all of this. I wouldn't have any issues using it in my Tacoma. I'm just wondering if there'd be a big downside to using a filter with nitrile adbv in my son's Escape. The filter is mounted veritically and the OEM filter uses silicone.

Both the Toyota OEM and FL910S are quality filters, either one would be a good choice. If I had to decide, I would go with the Motorcraft simply because I have good experience with them over the years. Virtually zero experience with the OEM oil filters. Plus the Motorcraft cost less, and are considered high capacity filters although I don't think that would matter much unless you are going beyond 7500 mile OCI.

Last edited:
Guy,

I have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I bought new in 2002. It is my daily driver. My son has a 2017 Ford Escape. Both use the same size oil filter. They both cross-reference to the FRAM PH3614 size. I have always used Toyota OEM filters on my Tacoma (YZZD1). I've been using the Motorcraft FL-910S filters on my son's car. I like to buy in bulk, so when I purchase filters again I'd ideally like to purchase one filter since they take the same kind.

Questions:
- Would I be better going with either the Toyota or Ford filter and using it on both? I've had good luck with Toyota over the years, but the Motorcraft has a silicone ADBV, which is nice.

Worth considering:
- The FL-910S has a silicone ADBV and the filtter is mounted vertically on the Ford. The Toyota OEM filters have nitrile rubber ADBVs and the filter is mounted horizontally.

DENSO

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Guy,

Questions:

Worth considering:

DENSO

Sorry, I got carried away. I'll watch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back