[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fram xG
Originally Posted by tundraotto
WOW - printed cardboard!

smile.gif
Now, now. This is an Ultra. You might be thinking it's an Extra Guard with cardboard ends. That's one confusing thing about Fram. Some folks see XG and think it stands for Extra Guard.

The intruding fuzzy stuff in the center tube from the seal would be a "deal breaker" if that is how it came out when removed.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

What did you replace it with? What kind of oil did you use?
smile.gif

thanks;

I have used over the years a verity oil and filters, from basic/dino to synthetic; lately I use only XG filters and Mobil 1 HM oil

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The intruding fuzzy stuff in the center tube from the seal would be a "deal breaker" if that is how it came out when removed.

That was most likely caused by installing or removing the filter, I'd guess install judging by its direction. It doesn't get like that under normal use. It's also nothing to worry about since almost all of these cartridge filters sit against a flat bottom and very little oil reaches even the outside of that seal.

Originally Posted by shibby6600
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That was most likely caused by installing or removing the filter, I'd guess install judging by its direction. It doesn't get like that under normal use. It's also nothing to worry about since almost all of these cartridge filters sit against a flat bottom and very little oil reaches even the outside of that seal.
If end with the frayed "fuzzy stuff" went over the center tube first when it was installed, there was nothing to stop any loose fragments from going into the engine.

The XG10358 for 1.8L Toyotas (including mine) is similarly constructed, except that it lacks the felt seal on the ends. That eliminates any risk of loose fuzzy bits going where they shouldn't, but may not seal against bypassing oil as effectively if the filter geometry is not perfect.

Anyway, we need more posts of cartridge filters, especially since they're easier than spin-ons to dissect.

any oil filter I have replaced had that spongy/cotton pressed ring in the center of a oil filter and the engine still reached that high miles

Motorcraft example

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by miden851
... Motorcraft example ...
That Motorcraft end cap looks like it's from Purolator---very similar to those of the Purolator L16311 I bought several years ago.

totally; imo, they all come from the same supplier its just different labeling for those that do not know
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back