Best cheap filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site is funny where guys will go the extra mile to get full synthetic oil for pennies on the dollar (after rebate/promo code) then chew out the next guy who bought a purolator for $3

Surely there's a high quality bang-for-buck filter in the $5 range. I like the $4 Bosch on Amazon. Basically I look for an orange anti drainback valve and if it's around $5 I buy it.

+1 on the NAPA Pro-Select. Can't beat it for $3.47, and made by the same manufacturer as the OEM (M&H.) In fact, once my stash is gone (I have some earlier WIX and some Champ Labs filters) I'll be swiching to the Pro Select.

Last edited:
Look into the premium guard filters. Very well constructed and often under $2 at RockAuto. I probably have 20 or so in the stash right now. I have cut several open that had over 7K and they held up fantastic.

Champion labs O.E. non- E core.

This will be what the many fake auto parts stores sell as a store brand.

Always was, always will be.

Next = Fram Extra guard.

Never go anywhere near a cheap Napa or Wix with a combo valve.

Wix/ napa are good in the larger sizes. In small form factors the bese end bypass takes up too much room and you have just sacrificed 1/3 of the filter area to accommodate the base end bypass.

EcoGard Synthetic. Can typically be had for $3-4 on RockAuto. Anytime I buy parts (which has slowed down, I'll admit) I always throw a few in the cart. On Amazon they're typically in the $5-8 range.

Last edited:
Another way to look at being frugal is to use a premium filter for 2 or more ocis. You can buy a $9 M1 and use it for 20k miles. So depending on your liking, say 5k to 10k miles it can last probably 2 to 4 ocis.
Wix Napa Gold can easily last 10k or more in a good clean engine.
All that said the budget filters can be good to for regular ofcis. I'd just stay away from fram tg or eg.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
MicroGard, NAPA Pro Select, Fram Extra Guard, Super Tech, etc.

Plenty of good budget filters.

I thought supertech was a paper filter with paper endcaps, basically something to stay away from?

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Another way to look at being frugal is to use a premium filter for 2 or more ocis. You can buy a $9 M1 and use it for 20k miles. So depending on your liking, say 5k to 10k miles it can last probably 2 to 4 ocis.
All that said the budget filters can be good to for regular ofcis. I'd just stay away from fram tg or eg.

For some reason, the high end filter for two OCI's just doesn't rub me right.

Originally Posted by sprite1741
Fram Ultra, use for two oil changes. $5 per change and a premium filter I trust. That's what I do.

That's what I'm doing in the Honda, and in the BMW I am doing 25,000 to 30,000 km intervals on the filter (I do the filter on it's own schedule independent of when I change the oil)

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

I thought supertech was a paper filter with paper endcaps, basically something to stay away from?

Yes to me its just like washing your best clothes in dirty laundry water.

Bosch, Purolator stp, carquest, Napa pre select, microguard, motorcraft. The list of budget filters is long. I've haven't used all of the budget brands to speak of experience from. I can tell you I personally have never had a failed filter per say. The only one I just hated was the Fram EG. Because of its absolute all around flimsy construction. Other than that I can't say I've had any serious complaints.

The only failed filter I saw was the Supertech (Made by WIX at the time.) It was on the truck for 7,900 miles (my neighbors.) Had some small tears in the media near the base. Definitely not the filters fault, it should not have been on for more than 5K. The Nissan Frontier was used in a business and pulled an overloaded trailer. Very tough duty for that filter.

Originally Posted by sprite1741
Fram Ultra, use for two oil changes. $5 per change and a premium filter I trust. That's what I do.

me too, I do 3 5000 mile intervals

Thats what Honda recommends you do with "its own" mid tier filter - which is a tough guard with a metal seam clamp.

A good premium filter can easily go its rated mileage if starting in a clean vehicle.

UD

Hard to beat the Fram EG here. Claimed 95% at 20um from glass-enhanced media ... Now has silicone ADBV. Grippy dome end. Easily found at WM for low cost.
However many of the others listed by other members are also decent choices.

Last edited:
Just bought 2 Fram Ultras yesterday at Rural King for $7.97/ each. Using twice costs me $4/ oil change so to me thats the best cheapest filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back