Proper oil filter storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an unheated garage so I've been storing my oil filters inside the house. I'm paranoid about rust. Does it really matter? How long would it take an oil filter to degrade in it's original box in a regular garage?

I would shrink wrap with desiccant for your part of the country. But, I am OCD......

Double post
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
99 44/100% of the world never ever ever cares about this.
You shouldn't either.

That's an underestimate.

I wrap the base plate on my filters with Saran Wrap about 2" up to close off the bottom of the filter. Then I put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. They're stored in the basement and none of the base plates have any rust on them.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I've got an unheated garage so I've been storing my oil filters inside the house. I'm paranoid about rust. Does it really matter?

I'd keep them stored inside the house ... rust on oil filters isn't a desirable thing so preventing it is a plus.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I've got an unheated garage so I've been storing my oil filters inside the house. I'm paranoid about rust. Does it really matter? How long would it take an oil filter to degrade in it's original box in a regular garage?

You don't want them wet, damp, brittle or dry-rotted over time. Try to maintain the same climate that you prefer. I keep mine in the furnace room and still never exceed a 2-3 year inventory

I keep mine inside ziploc bags in the basement where the temperature is generally cool year 'round. Store the oil on the same shelf. However, I have also been known to ignore my own advice and just stack filters on the bookshelf next to my desk in my home office. I have never observed any difference in the filters after use and tear down. I would agree that you want to rotate them, so I write the date on each box when purchased if I have a stash.

I vacuum pack mine using my food saver. Then they go in my bedroom closet until I need one.

I'd say it depends on how damp your garage is. Generally cool and dry, keep a long time in the box. However, looking at your display address if you're looking to store awhile, assuming house climate controlled, just bring them inside. I had several BD+ filters made in 09, just kept them in the house, nothing more. Finished using the last one 5/17 and it was fine. BD+ did come in a nice plastic box, but I don't think that made a significant difference.

I have seen new filters purchased from Walmart less than 90 days old with rust on the inside of the filter where the center tube meets with the dome end cap. If the conditions are right, rust formation can occur quickly.

This is where the cellophane sealed Japanese brand filters excel. I appreciate that seal and I haven't seen one yet with rust on the inside.

I would avoid temperature extremes in storage because that is how condensation forms. But still, condensation and rust would be a real problem only if you stored them in your outdoor shed for 5 years or so... you know what I mean.
When I order several filters, I get a few of those air pack pouches (used as shipping cushions) and cut them open, insert the filter, then put them back in the boxes. Super fast and easy, and effective at keeping out dust and moisture.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by PimTac
This is where the cellophane sealed Japanese brand filters excel. I appreciate that seal and I haven't seen one yet with rust on the inside.

The cellophane is no guarantee (although this is a MIC filter, not Japan, and is a manufacturing mistake).

True but as a recent example I put on a Thailand sourced Roki filter on the Mazda. You can watch rust forming in Thailand and it probably spent some time in a container on board a ship before I got it. Absolutely clean and rust free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back