Fram Ultra for a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went on the Fram website to look up a filter for my Honda CB1000R. It now lists the Fram Ultra XG6607 along with the PH6017 motorcycle filter. This is the first time I saw Fram listing the Ultra for motorcycle use. Just wish the filter was black!!

I'm running the XG7317 (the longer version of the XG6607) on my Yamaha XSR900. It fits, but it's tight getting it on. The XG6607 is pretty much the same physical size as the OEM Yamaha Denso oil filter.

20181015_191617.jpg

Interesting they are listing that now.
It shows for my VT1100 also.

I have a few TG3593a that I will be using on my bike once I take the Bosch D+ 3323 off (a 7317 sized filter).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I'm running the XG7317 (the longer version of the XG6607) on my Yamaha XSR900. It fits, but it's tight getting it on. The XG6607 is pretty much the same physical size as the OEM Yamaha Denso oil filter.

Add a little more dust and it looks just my R1 right now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by steveh
Just went on the Fram website to look up a filter for my Honda CB1000R. It now lists the Fram Ultra XG6607 along with the PH6017 motorcycle filter. This is the first time I saw Fram listing the Ultra for motorcycle use. Just wish the filter was black!!

Why black ... ?

Go with something BOLD, like these red Baldwin filters ... ! Or the purple HKS filters ( only $ 32.00 each on Amazon ... ! ). Just screams LOOK AT MY OIL FILTER !!! I'm sure someone must be into that kind of stuff ...

[Linked Image]

Or this beauty ...

[Linked Image]

Ha! I see the same thing for my 2006 Kawasaki EX500. Fram lists the Ultra XG6607 filter using the online lookup tool. We always knew the auto filters were just as good or better, and now Fram agrees. The Fram looks better than the old yellow PureOne filters, though I miss that sandpaper like case for easy off/on. ZeeOSix, do you change the filter at every oil change? What interval? Thanks. Whenever I take apart one of the Fram Ultras I think I am wasting money because the filter looks like it is good for another go 'round, even after 10K in a car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jongies3
Spray paint is your friend

Yes. Black header paint would be perfect. Just degrease the outside of the filter, scuff it a with scotch brite pad and give it a couple of coats.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by dwendt44
NAPA gold filters are black, if the gold color upsets you.

Sort of like this.

The irony of complaining about the golden color of the XG, so the fix is getting a NAPA Gold that is black...
crazy2.gif

My filter is under the back of the motor, so it is never seen unless you are crawling under it.
Maybe I will paint my next one pink....

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
ZeeOSix, do you change the filter at every oil change? What interval? Thanks.

This is the first Ultra I've put on the bike, and typically only get 3K to 4K miles a year on the bike. So I'll probably change it every other oil change. Still under utilized, but that's OK since it comes down to $5 per OCI run.

The PH6017A motorcycle filter is $6.63 and the XG6607 is $9.42 at Walmart.

The XG6607 is a much better filter. I'm thinking of running one for two OCIs after seeing how good they look after one. Change my motorcycle oil every 3-4,000 miles. The XG filters are rated for 15-20,000 miles with synthetic.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
NAPA gold filters are black, if the gold color upsets you.

The only difference is the bypass pressure is lower than spec on the golds, at least for mine.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by steveh

Why black ... ?

Go with something BOLD, like these red Baldwin filters ... ! Or the purple HKS filters ( only $ 32.00 each on Amazon ... ! ). Just screams LOOK AT MY OIL FILTER !!! I'm sure someone must be into that kind of stuff ...

[Linked Image]

Or this beauty ...

[Linked Image]

What on earth is so special about those HKS filters? Good lord, I thought Amsoil filters were pricey! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back