Jiffy Lube And Oil Filters????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that Jiffy Lube and other quick change places use "jobber" oil filers when you get the oil changed. I assume that this means they are cheap. But would they be, at least, equal to an Fram orange can in quality?

I sense a troll but I'll bite.

A jobber filter is perfectly fine in most applications. Yes, they are usually made in China. And yes, they typically do not disclose an efficiency rating. But, and this is the big part, they're typically just as well built as a name brand filter. I was briefly in the industry and the only filters that consistently gave us problems where white label Champ filters. Never a notable issue with any others, in all honesty, one of my favorites brands was Security Global which are distributed through Service Champ. Rock solid construction and very cheap in bulk.

In fact, you can go to Rock Auto and buy the same jobber filters these lube shops use. Many on this site (myself included) do just that! Champ, Premium Guard, Ecogard, etc. are all available for purchase to you and they're no different than the ones used in shops.

To answer your question more directly, yes a jobber filter is at least equal to a Fram orange can in quality. Minus the silicone adbv.

Depend on where you go. The big American filter manufacturers (Fram, Wix, Champion Labs, Baldwin) pretty much all make some of these filters, although there might be more from overseas these days. It doesn't really cost all that much to make a filter. That $1.50 filter is at least equivalent to an orange can Fram.

I thought with the Pennzoil association they often use Pennzoil branded filters. It was years ago, but I remember seeing Pennzoil branded filters sold at a drug store. They had an extremely limited selection, but I saw that the application they recommended for my car actually had two different filters with the same part number. One had all the hallmarks of Fram while the other one looked like a Wix design.

Walmart uses Fram "Core" filters. Only difference between them and the extra gaurd Is the orange sandpaper grip. I've cut a couple open and couldn't tell a difference.

Just had my wifes scion in for a jiffy lube signature oil change.

I'll see what the part number is on the invoice.

I'd bet it is Pennzoil brand filters made for the chain, because all they pour is Pennzoil.

Whatever oil and filter they provide is better then no oil change.

Unless something odd happens your car can run on cheap (but sped'ed) oil & filters all its life and the engine will still be running fine when it hits the boneyard.

I'm not trying to bash Jiffy Lube. I relied on them when I had sever back problems. I liked how they showed my the oil stick with fresh oil after they did it. The coffee was horrible though and the waiting room stunk bad though.

Originally Posted by Willclark
I'm not trying to bash Jiffy Lube. I relied on them when I had sever back problems. I liked how they showed my the oil stick with fresh oil after they did it. The coffee was horrible though and the waiting room stunk bad though.

I stand outside and talk to the guys and watch them. Had some nice conversations......and they let me take my own oil and filter, no worries.

Originally Posted by Donald
Whatever oil and filter they provide is better then no oil change.

Unless something odd happens your car can run on cheap (but sped'ed) oil & filters all its life and the engine will still be running fine when it hits the boneyard.

Truth right there.

Don't worry. Half the time they don't bother to change your filter anyway. Caught the one up the street from our office doing it twice on the shop truck. Don't go there anymore.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
Don't worry. Half the time they don't bother to change your filter anyway. Caught the one up the street from our office doing it twice on the shop truck. Don't go there anymore.

That's probably a figment of your imagination.
Are you certain they only replace 50% of the filters?
Please refrain from making generalizations of an industry and persons that can not be substantiated.
This thread was going fine until the "Quick Lube" basher, you, had to chime in.
If you choose to do your own OFL's, that's fine.
Don't make up stories to try and influence those that choose to have someone do it for them.
I've made a fine living in the DIFM market.
We change every filter, every time.

p.s. Over the years BITOG has been a great educational tool for my staff and I.
Thanks to almost everyone.

Sure is a lot of analyzing ever drop of oil processed on this website for an answer like that. Guess we're all wasting a [censored] of a lot money on good oil and filters

When I had to tote some used oil off to Jiffy Lube, it looked it was either Performax or Pennzoil - both are Puro products, but there were a few Microgards being used for "speciality" applications. I dunno about Oil Changer(a local Bay Area chain, might be in San Diego too), but the two local ones(Speed Oil Change Center and Speed Lube) use Service Champ, which can be made by Champ or Fram - which now is no longer the case since Fram split off Champ.

Last edited:
Case in point, ex-friend of mine had me do his oil changes - Speed Oil Change used Service Champ PH3593A and PH3980 equivalents. The former was a Fram with Champ markings, the latter was a Champ E-Core. Another friend takes her Subaru there(even though I said the dealer is better and often times than not, close in price), they've installed the thimble-sized Nissan filter that replaces a PH6607/7317 - it had Champ markings.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Walmart uses Fram "Core" filters. Only difference between them and the extra gaurd Is the orange sandpaper grip. I've cut a couple open and couldn't tell a difference.

Don't forget the e-core instead of metal center tube! But even these filters have a rough textured paint on them to make installation and removal easier.

The service center I used to use in used Performax filters which were re-labeled Purolator classics. They also make Pennzoil and Quaker State filters as well. Prior to the tearing problems, they were likely great filters!

i caugjt a dealership not going the oil change at all thay was paid for but they did change the sticker on window

Originally Posted by Ursatdx

Please refrain from making generalizations of an industry and persons that can not be substantiated.
Don't make up stories to try and influence those that choose to have someone do it for them.

At November-end, I will have my only free oil change done at the dealer. I will use the end of a screwdriver to carve a scratch on the bottom of the new OEM oil filter I install later today.
Should we go on a vacation - roll-up a bunch of miles and need an oil change by August, I will carve a scratch then-also.

I am interested in finding out that I purchased my vehicle from a dealership that performs honest oil changes.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx

Nope. Fact. Caught them red handed. Sorry to burst your bubble. Not making anything up. I wouldn't POST it unless it was FACT and actually happened to me. TWICE. Also found the latches for air filter left undone. My favorite is the QA signature by two people. Completely useless. I even had a chat with the manager. Now granted, this is just one store, there may be others that are great. It can happen anywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustinH
Just had my wifes scion in for a jiffy lube signature oil change.

I'll see what the part number is on the invoice.

I'd bet it is Pennzoil brand filters made for the chain, because all they pour is Pennzoil.

No Jiffy Lube's a franchise thus the owner can use the filter and oil of their choice. Some use Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, and the ones around here used a small label I never heard of before switching to Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back