How much extra oil when using AC pf52 vs. AC pf47?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2011 Silverado with the 4.3 V6. Normally it takes the short AC pf47e filter, but I'd like to use the longer AC pf52e instead. There is plenty of room for the extra length of the different filter from what I can see. (I might actually use the Supertech equilivant ST3890 it looks the same) How much extra oil for the longer filter? The truck takes 4.5 quarts with the smaller filter. I was thinking maybe 1/4 quart. When Chevy spec'd these filters in the past (short filter for 2 wheel, long filter for 4x4) I don't know if the owner's manuals said the correct oil amount difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Use the same amount as you always use. You might be surprised at what the dipstick shows. If necessary, then adjust.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Use the same amount as you always use. You might be surprised at what the dipstick shows. If necessary, then adjust.

You're probably right, if it's a small amount of difference in oil it might not be enough to change the level on the dipstick by much. I'll just put in the regular amount 4.5 quarts and measure from there.

Last edited:
5 gallons, more or less...
Just kidding!

Start with what you normally add, then add just a taste more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Corollaman
You're probably right, if it's a small amount of difference in oil it might not be enough to change the level on the dipstick by much. I'll just put in the regular amount 4.5 quarts and measure from there.

My G35 calls for 5-1/8 quarts. I put the oversize 7317 Fram on it vs the standard 6607, dump in a 5-qt bottle of Castrol Edge, and it ends up 3/4 of the way between the "L" and "H" marks on the dipstick.

Half pint for most of these type of short vs long smaller diameter filters maybe 6 to 8 oz for larger diameter filters, at work we always try to us longer or larger filters on customer vehicles when ever possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Exactly.
So many of these enthusiast forums have people obsessed with keeping the oil level exactly and perfectly at the full mark.
In a healthy engine, THIS IS NOT NECESSARY. If the oil level is between the two marks, you are fine.
The capacity difference in these filters is probably around 4-5 ounces and no adjustment is required.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edwardh1
Originally Posted by CT8
Enough oil to bring the dipstick level to the full mark.

far too simple to do it that way!!!

lol.gif

You have to take the measurement of the two filters, perform a volume calculation and increase the amount of oil by the calculated volume -10% for the additional filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back