What's the correct way to use extended drain oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Scenario:
OCI of 5K miles using Mobil 1 AP filters.

Which is best?
a. keep on the vehicle and just change the oil.
b. remove filter drain all the oil from filter and re-apply.
c. either one works, there's no downside with either.

I think that the conventional wisdom is to "leave well enough alone" and not remove a filter from an engine if you're planning on running it for more time.
I'd leave it on and not worry about the small amount of oil that's contained in the filter, because of the risk of losing a seal that you know works.

I can't say I know, but I'd feel better not removing the filter and just keep it on there. I agree with TmanP that the small amount of oil in it shoudn't be a big deal. I'm running a Fram Ultraguard on my 08 Jeep and I do 2 OCI's of 5500 to 6k each on each filter. Since they bumped them to 20k, I'm considering doing 3 changes, with a max of 18k miles, on each filter.

I reduce the fill volume slightly, my one car calls for 3.2 quarts, if I leave the filter I use 3 to fill.
If I replace the filter I add "top off" oil in my stash to the filter and fill with the same 3 quarts.

Never had an issue doing it this way but I do keep an eye on my oil levels quite frequently just in case one of them decides to start burning or leaking

Agree answer of those put forward is "A".

There's also a "D", utilizing an oil that will go as far as the filter will.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Agree answer of those put forward is "A".

There's also a "D", utilizing an oil that will go as far as the filter will.
I use "A"-if you're going to risk "D", a UOA would be necessary to ensure the oil can handle it. I can't think of one that I would trust for 20K without a UOA, including Amsoil & M1 AP.

Call me paranoid, but I am uneasy about extended use on paper/ blended, non wire backed filters. By extended use, I mean 1 year plus. 10k on paper within a year or so is very doable. The XG is arguably a better filter than the M1 (and is certainly cheaper)so it's easy to just recommend that and be done with it.. The only exception being a sale where somehow it's equal to a Ultra price wise or for whatever reason one just really dislikes Fram. I know this isn't the info you asked for, but meh.. it's what my lawyer said to post.
laugh.gif

I think your plan sounds about right. Many (myself included) say it's not good to uninstall and then reinstall the same filter, but many (myself included) have done it issue free. If you do, just watch it while the engine is running. No big deal..

The Ultra on my Jeep was installed almost 2 years ago and has about 11k on it. I think this is a good use of an extended use filter as well. The Ultra ran for 15k is a better buy than the Extra Guard at 20k. With the new packaging out there, I think Ultras are now rated for 20k.. That's 4 (5k) OCI's.. You can't go wrong for the price. I will say I've been running the same oil during this time.. Some don't care for mixing, which is understandable.

Never break the seal. Your engine is worth $5000 to $10,000, and its life rest on your oil filter seal being sufficient. You compress the gasket and use it one time. If you go through the trouble of removing the filter, than you replace it with a new oil filter.

Draining a few ounces of oil out of it is a worthless endeavor. I use filters for 15K miles which can be 3 oil changes. I leave them on, and its perfectly fine. The only measurable difference is that the new oil has a TBN of 8.99 instead of 9.00 had I changed the filter. Big deal.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Never break the seal. Your engine is worth $5000 to $10,000,

This is why I mentioned to get out and look while the engine was running.

If it's peeing like a race horse, you'll find out before it's too late. If it's just dripping, you'll notice.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Never break the seal. Your engine is worth $5000 to $10,000, and its life rest on your oil filter seal being sufficient. You compress the gasket and use it one time. If you go through the trouble of removing the filter, than you replace it with a new oil filter.

Draining a few ounces of oil out of it is a worthless endeavor. I use filters for 15K miles which can be 3 oil changes. I leave them on, and its perfectly fine. The only measurable difference is that the new oil has a TBN of 8.99 instead of 9.00 had I changed the filter. Big deal.

This is very well said. That little seal is a life/death matter for an engine. I lost a $12,000 Ecoboost in our Transit van when an oil change shop put a new filter on top of the gasket from the previous filter, which had separated and stuck to the filter mount, which burst into a huge leak under high pressure. Bye bye oil and hello blown engine. Fortunately, the oil change shop took responsibility and their insurance covered a Ford factory reman engine. Yes, the remanufactured engine was $12 large, installed. It did come with a better warranty than a brand new one, which I thought was interesting. (3 years unlimited miles vs. 3 years 50 or 60 thousand.)

You just made me think enough about this that I'm going with a full three OCI's on the Jeep JK.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
If you take it off, you may as well put on a new one.

+1 to this!

Do NOT understand going to all the effort to do all the things for an OC, and not changing the filter while you are there.

Change it every time, you're already in there, might as well do it! They're not that expensive.

Given the little bit of dirty oil in the filter, just let the pan drain a little longer and call it even...
Ha!

FYI, I am just starting to use the "every other service" myself.
I always wondered why a filter said 15K or 20K or whatever, cuz I do 5 to 7K services...
Never thought of the every other schedule...
Silly me!

Originally Posted by wemay
Scenario:
OCI of 5K miles using Mobil 1 AP filters.

Which is best?
a. keep on the vehicle and just change the oil.
b. remove filter drain all the oil from filter and re-apply.
c. either one works, there's no downside with either.

Honestly, Ive taken them off and put back on several times. I have been putting the high temp neodymium button magnets on the space between the holes on the plate. I clean the magnets off at oil change and put the filter back on.
I also let some oil drain from filter and refill it.
Always slop oil on the seal so one hasn't ever stuck on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back