Small oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are the oil filters on the "new" vehicles so small? I cut open the filter I removed from my Ford 2.0L turbo engine and it is the same size that is on my son's skid steer lawn mower. This filter media was less than 1.5 inches tall and about 1.5 inches in diameter.
I replaced it with something larger and am looking for a bigger one that will fit with the same bypass setting.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Because it does not need to be larger?

Seems pretty simple, huh? Why does it need to be bigger?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Because it does not need to be larger?

Chosen by engineers with plenty of experience and no doubt PROOF that it's fine too.

How many filters have you seen that were fully loaded? I have only seen one, and it took a lot to get it loaded. I've seen stuff around the internets, however they were from neglected engines, in which there were pounds of sludge.

What’s the number on the filter?

PH6607 oversize is 7317
PH3614 oversize is 3600

PH16 oversize is 8a,
And Godzilla is Wix 51773....

I would think a smaller filter would go up in filtering efficiency quicker. On a regularly maintained engine, it should not get overloaded.

Downsizing to the "just fine" threshold for economical purposes isn't my prerogative. I'll take more filter media and volume any day of the week.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
What’s the number on the filter?

PH6607 oversize is 7317
PH3614 oversize is 3600

PH16 oversize is 8a,
And Godzilla is Wix 51773....

I'd love to run that filter in the Jeep and Harley but the efficiency takes a dive
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would think a smaller filter would go up in filtering efficiency quicker.

Not if the delta-p rises faster. I've seen tech paper that says an oil filter's efficiency decreases as it loads up, but I've never seen a tech paper that shows data where the efficiency goes up with loading.

My 24hp rider mower uses the same oil filter as a Toyota tundra v8. John Deere is $12.00, Super tech is $3.00...I use ST! And it is small for a v8 Truck.

In the case of a base angled down mount, the center tube fills faster with a small filter, which gives less dry starting time. When the center tube drains down. It did on my 02 Camry v6, which took the 3614 stock size. A 3600 on that car will take longer to fill each morning after sitting all night.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Downsizing to the "just fine" threshold for economical purposes isn't my prerogative. I'll take more filter media and volume any day of the week.

Think you probably mean "is my prerogative", on account of it makes sense that way around.

"isn't my preference" would make sense.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

Vice-versa, here's a jingle from Bobby Brown to keep it straight

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
How many filters have you seen that were fully loaded? I have only seen one, and it took a lot to get it loaded. I've seen stuff around the internets, however they were from neglected engines, in which there were pounds of sludge.

Wait, I thought a loaded oil filter was a good thing?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back