Motorcraft FL500S and AcDelco PF63E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennywise has control ...
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
PF63E-22 PSI
FL-500S-8 PSI

BOF, where did you find the bypass setting info on the FL-500S?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
PF63E-22 PSI
FL-500S-8 PSI

BOF, where did you find the bypass setting info on the FL-500S?

I GOOGLED "FL-500S PSI" and a few Mustang and other forum websites came up. I read through most of the posts and all of the responses were the same when asked the PSI Q?, 8 PSI.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
ZeeOSix - I went looking for the bypass setting and found the efficiency spec instead.

FL820S specs

FL500S specs

80% for particles 20 microns or larger.

Weird that Ford/Motorcraft doesn't list the bypass valve setting, but others on chat boards are saying it's 8 PSI ... ?

8 PSI seems pretty low to me.

ZeeOSix - I went looking for the bypass setting and found the efficiency spec instead.

FL820S specs

FL500S specs

Weird that Ford/Motorcraft doesn't list the bypass valve setting, but others on chat boards are saying it's 8 PSI ... ?

Z06, sometimes, when I'm looking for certain specs. on an oil filter, I go to AUTZONE's website, enter the filter part number, and it gives the specs. on said filter. I know it's not scientific, but AZ has to be getting their info. from somewhere legitimate.
21.gif

FL820S specs

FL500S specs

Maybe that is all that is needed at application flow rates.

I could not find anything official on the bypass settings in general.

No info about Motorcraft oil filter's bypass setting on AutoZone
21.gif
- LINK

Nothing on the O'Reilly website either - LINK

The PH10575 is 9 to 15 PSI. The way I would interpret this is begins to open at 9 and fully open at 15.
I'd interpret that to mean it starts to open at 12, plus or minus 3. "Fully open" would imply a high bypass flow rate (in addition to the flow through the media).

Last edited:
The PH10575 is 9 to 15 PSI. The way I would interpret this is begins to open at 9 and fully open at 15.

That's how I'd read that also. It will take more PSI to compress the spring from closed to fully open.

No info about Motorcraft oil filter's bypass setting on AutoZone
21.gif
- LINK

Nothing on the O'Reilly website either - LINK

I did state SOMETIMES.
smile.gif

Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to track down the official source of the 8 PSI spec.

I did some searching on this too recently and found the same info and links that have been listed so far, but nothing that looked it was from any official data. 8psi does seem pretty low, but if we’re speculating that the 9-15psi range listed for other filters is the starting point (9psi) and the pressure needed to be completely open (15psi), then maybe MC’s 8psi is just the point at which the valve starts to open. If that’s the case, then there really isn’t much difference. Heck, I bet there’s more than 1psi variability filter to filter of the same design.

... That's how I'd read that also. It will take more PSI to compress the spring from closed to fully open.
It's unlikely to ever be fully open, except in extreme situations.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... That's how I'd read that also. It will take more PSI to compress the spring from closed to fully open.
It's unlikely to ever be fully open, except in extreme situations.

Of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back