Royal Purple oil filter shavings in threads/rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to purchase a Royal Purple on amazon.com model 10-2808 for my application. The first order never arrived. The second order was lost for a week, I have 2 day *(prime shipping).

The RP filter arrived today in a very large thin envelope. The filter was separated from the box. I noticed rust around the ring in numerous locations and metal shaving inside the threads. I tried grabbing the shaving with pliers and they fell into the filter. Have no idea where the rust is coming from?

Several reviews on amazon talk about rust on these filters. Crazy! The merchant was amazon, not a third party. According to ToysNCars on Youtube the Amsoil oil filter is thicker and has more pleats than the Royal Purple filter.

But, I had already ordered some Amsoil filters from Pablo. Just wanted to compare filters. He is always a pleasure to do business with.

The irony is that Champanion manufactures both filters. They look exactly alike, but are made to different specs. The filter is $12.00 on amazon and the Amsoil is $17.00. Although, I have a stash of Fram Ultra filters. No complaints on those filters.

*I have no affiliation to any of aforementioned companies.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

All of the Royal Purple and Amsoil filters I have seen cut open were Donaldson Synteq.... What are we missing?

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Should read "Metal shavings in threads."

I have seen metal shavings in the threads of nearly EVERY brand of filter at some point since the middle 70's...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Perhaps a non-disclosure agreement. Not sure. Amsoil never says who makes their filters. But we know WIX, Donaldson, Clarcor (Baldwin/Hastings), and now Champion have historically and currently make various filters for Amsoil.

Hmmmm....

But - who makes them for Royal Purple?

I ordered a RP filter through work (O'something, we carry them in the warehouse for next day arrivals) and the first one was really rusty, I sent it back. Second one had a little rust but I used it. I would have loved to keep using them but I didn't wanna deal with it so I just started using Wix filters off the shelf so I could have them on hand.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If you complain to Amazon about the product and how poorly it was packaged/shipped, they'll refund your money.

Already done! Amazon packaging is horrid, but it's CEO/Founder was the richest man in the world for a few weeks anyway.

Respectfully,
Pajero!

Yep, Amazon has a great return system & policy ... easy to send stuff back.

I "firmly believe in" peoples' ingenuity when committing thefts or fraud.

...but counterfeiting OIL FILTERS? How can that pay?

Since "inside jobs" are THE hallmark of industrial intellectual theft and copyright infringements I suppose the night shift makes filters with the different paint jobs and labeling needed.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I "firmly believe in" peoples' ingenuity when committing thefts or fraud.

...but counterfeiting OIL FILTERS? How can that pay?

Since "inside jobs" are THE hallmark of industrial intellectual theft and copyright infringements I suppose the night shift makes filters with the different paint jobs and labeling needed.

I mentioned this in another thread about counterfeit oil filters and the fact they do exist. One poster had an e-bay link of the person/place they were purchasing them from at an unbelievable price. The sellers neutral/negative feedback alone would be enough for me to stay away, but when you also see the prices these filters were going for, (real cheap!) that is another flag that would also make me stay away.

Sadly, there isn't much in this world anymore that isn't counterfeited, faked or described as a knock off.
Also, as I assume many filters and the like get rejected at the end of the line through QC, do we know for a fact these filters get destroyed immediately, or are they stock piled waiting for a massive, bulk destruction.

It would be pretty easy, imo, maybe, for someone, who works there, to take/steal these rejected filters and sell them on E-Bay as new.
Each to their own, but when a price is usually too good to be true, you usually get what you pay for.

*Update, I received a prompt response from Royal Purple. They acknowledged the metal shavings issue from Champion and stated that most of those filters had been recalled. The rust issue is more than likely post production, which I agree. Of course; RP offered to send me a free filter, which was a kind gesture.

RP accepting responsibility impressed me, vs the Purolator issue.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
RP accepting responsibility impressed me, vs the Purolator issue.

Customer service is very important in today's busines world. Purolator has probably lost many customers by not respondind to customer concerns. Nothing like shooting themselves in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back