Proline PPL14459 5850mi cut open (purolator)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off of the 2016 Kia Soul that I service for a coworker who does quite a bit of Uber driving on the side. To the tune of 30,000 miles in the last year. Unfortunately I didn't do the last oil change on it because I was overseas for work so he brought it to Pep Boys for service. They used an unknown Synthetic 5w20 and this filter. For the 4 oil changes I've done on the car now it's always had an OEM Kia filter used which is what replaced this Jobber Purolator. Oil back in was Peak Conventional purchased on clearance at Napa last year 1/2 quart of 10w30 leftover from his last service and 4 quarts of 5w30. Overall this Jobber Purolator looks fine, no tears, ADBV was pliable and functional. The seam crimp was loose and moved freely back and forth but the outer lip on the metal end cap prevented it from pulling or falling all the way off. No issues with the leaf spring. Of note the can itself is SIGNIFICANTLY thinner and flimsy compared to even a Wix and less than half the thickness of the OEM filter. I'll see him in another two months for another service at which time the car will have 55,000 miles on it as we've been trying to stick to 5,000 miles on conventional oil. Enjoy the pictures.

Nice photos of low cost Purolator.

Wear gloves cause used oil can cause problems to your body, especially its absorbed by your skin.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Chintzy filter, but it held up.

Wow, he's getting his money's worth out of that Kia....

He's sure putting on the miles! I'm much more comfortable with running the OEM filter on his car, once my stash of those is gone I may go to a Fram Ultra for 3-4x 5,000 OCI, or keep running the OE filter, haven't decided yet and I still have 2 more OE filters so I have a while to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back