Fram Ultra 15k to 20k rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this isn't a repost or anything.
Noticed this only because I got a new order of fram ultra filters to refill stock.

When did they change from 15 to 20k?
Anything changed in the filter at all, does it mean I can use my old batch up to 20k miles?

I asked the same question a few months back when the change (from 15 to 20K recommendation) occurred and I was told that the filter has NOT changed...only the recommendation because Fram was conservative with a 15K recommendation.

Yup, the 15k to 20k change was nothing to do with any changes, just further testing showed that 15k was conservative.

From what I have seen, an Ultra could be used almost indefinitely on a clean running engine.

If I drove more, I may try one for a 30k run, but that would take me ~4 years at my current driving (plus I have a bunch of other clearance filters to use up first).

Fram Ultra can go 3 OCI's and 20K miles.

I just installed one on my mom's car, she does 4K miles per year so this will be on her car for 5 years.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Fram Ultra can go 3 OCI's and 20K miles.

I just installed one on my mom's car, she does 4K miles per year so this will be on her car for 5 years.

Just make sure you give the filter a twist on every OCI or you'll need tools to remove it. My CRV filter is a pain to reach and even for 1 year and 24k km, I've had to use a strap wrench to get it off if I forgot to loosen and tighten it on the middle change.

Mobil did the same thing with their filters - appended A to the model numbers and upped it to 20k miles. Filters look and feel identical.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Mobil did the same thing with their filters - appended A to the model numbers and upped it to 20k miles. Filters look and feel identical.

There must be a difference in the media between the "A suffix" and non-A suffix Mobil 1 filters. Wonder if they just put more media in the A suffix filters to increase the holding capacity. Part numbers typically don't change unless there is actually a difference in configuration.

Are you guys using the filter for multiple OCIs due to
- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

I guess I don’t see the point when filters are so cheap and engines are not.

Last edited:
Cost savings and some cars oil filter removal makes a big mess.

I had a Mobil 1 oil filter on my dad's Honda for 5 years and 15K miles.
Doom and gloom of filter getting clogged is hog wash.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

Iffy lube started it wil the 3000 mile oil / filter change. not based on science

- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

+1

Fram and Purolator are heavy, very heavy, on the box marketing. Who can attract the shopper to put the box in their cart, wins. Have to take the marketing as such, sales hype.
Cut open filter and look at it. If think it's OK to run longer do it, if not don't do it according to personal preference. As far as I know freedom of preference is still allowed.

What about time wise will a Fram Ultra media start to break down or fall apart from hot and cold cycles or fuel in the oil over time? Is it recommended for more then a year in service?

- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

All of the above plus all three of my Hondas' manuals say to run the filter for two OCIs. I would only do that with a FU though (I know there are other filters that would do fine). Right now I have Tough Guards bought on clearance that I'll be using for 1 OCI. Not that I'm that cheap either, I just don't see the point in changing something if it's not needed. Plus those Civics are a pain to get to the filter.

The truck is still in warranty so I'll be changing every 5k with an OEM. A shame too because it makes the biggest mess out of all my cars.

- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

I've used them for 20K, two 10K OCIs on the xB in my sig with M1 5W30 EP-and the cut open filter looked like it could have gone ANOTHER 20K. The secret is-start with a clean engine-if you have a sludged up mess or an engine that is known for sludge, then go with the 3-5K oil & filter changes. It's cost savings for me (although a filter change on my 4.6 is messy because the filter has to be flipped over to get it out of its mount). The first one I see that screws up, I'll go back to changing them every time (I get the 6 packs on eBay for roughly $25)-but it hasn't happened yet.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
What about time wise will a Fram Ultra media start to break down or fall apart from hot and cold cycles or fuel in the oil over time? Is it recommended for more then a year in service?

The synthetic media in an Ultra does not break down or "fall apart" like cellulose/blend media.
The manufacturers of filters will always say to follow OEM recommendations for changing it, but don't recall seeing a time limit on Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: littleant
- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

+1

IMO its better to use better filter for twice as long as an average or poor filter. Also I assume these should have better quality control and better general construction than two cheaper filters costing the same.
Also removing the filters is the messiest part of my oil changes, so why not do that half as much?

Mobil 1 has one year or X miles on their box. People seem to skip over the one year. There have been fully clogged and encrusted oil filters shown on here with low mileage, like 3-4 K. Telling people to run a filter for 20-30K because the box has 20k written on it somewhere, is not good advice in my book. Fram has the caveats too, maybe less visible. Severe service is driving in traffic, so that means almost everyone is severe service unless you own your own road. The severe schedule is often skipped in the owner's manuals. IMO the 20K on boxes is bad advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back