Wix filter size

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years, I used the same filter in my 2004 Sienna and 1984 Supra as every brand I used so far specified the same one for both.

Recently, I discovered that ordering from Rockauto I can get Wix filters much cheaper than anything I can buy locally, despite adding transport and the currency rate which isn't to my advantage.

Checking on Wix's site gives me filter 51348 for the Sienna. I was about to order a few when I though about checking for the Supra just in case. Wix gives me filter 51068 for this.

51348 cross-references to Fram 3614 which is what Fram also recommends for this car and is the equivalent of what I used up to here. 51068 crosses to Fram PH43 which I don't know anything about.

I ordered two of each Wix filter. They are now here. They are the same height, but the 51068 is much fatter (larger) despite the seal being the same size. I don't know if it will physically fit as the Supra is currently winterized & covered. I will try it next Spring.

If it does fit, is there any advantage/disadvantage on using this huge filter compared to the smaller one ?

I count it as a benefit. A tad more oil capacity, more flow.

I've taken off plenty of Valvoline filters and the Wix I put on in its place is often bigger. If the customer is standing there watching me do their OC it's always nice to hold the filters in each hand and give a visual example of what $40 gets them at the quick lane vs. $30-35 at my place.
laugh.gif

Recall the base end bypass in the wix takes up approx. 1/5 - 1/4 of the length. This could be a problem on the small form factor units as this mechanism takes away from the effective filter media area.'
Likely No hay Problema on the larger spin ons, as the base-end bypass should be preferred in sporty applications.

Ask the GF about which aspect ratio is better
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back