Puro issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Purolater oil filter media failure mostly in the larger filter models? Or does it effect all sizes and models of Puro filters?

The smaller ones have the media packed in tighter, they seem to be less susceptible to tearing than the large ones. Purolator Classics, Pure Ones, and the Bosch Premium (black) filters have seemed to be the worst. Haven't seen a Boss, Synthetic, Bosch Distance Plus, or (the rare) Bosch Long Life silver ones do it yet. Weirdly, the jobber level Puros without a crimped metal seam don't tear much, either (like QS ones).

Last edited:
There's one sure way to know the media wont tear ... buy something else beside Purolator.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There's one sure way to know the media wont tear ... buy something else beside Purolator.

He could've gotten a "grab bag" of filters from RockAuto. I'm always surprised by what arrives! (I run 'em, amyway)

Not sure how small you are talking about, but this is a Puro made Pennzoil PZ-37 (cross to a PH3976A/PH9688 size) off a Hyundai Santa Fe:

And the other side:

I for one am done with Puro made filters (except for the Bosch Distance + that I have).
Only reason I got them is they were on clearance and I have not seen or heard of any issues with them.
Even though Puro's high end filters seem to be tear free (but have had some ADV issues) as Bullwinkle mentioned, the fact that they don't seem to care to fix the know issue in their lower tier filters keeps me from spending full price on one.

I bought a stash of Purolator classic filters before Walmart discontinued carrying them and went back to offering Supertech branded filters again. The filters are pretty small for my Versa Note. Also with changing oil on that vehicle at 3k miles I am not to concerned about the tearing. I will use them up and find another brand to use though. Last I checked ST filters did not have one that would fit my Note.

Purolator made Motorcraft FL820S sometimes tear also...

2zps8xy.jpg

Motorcraft FL820S Date code: 904121217

2aeuxu.jpg

Dome end tear.

k9tnpz.jpg

Thread end tear.

2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 using Mobile M1 5W30 oil.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Is the Purolater oil filter media failure mostly in the larger filter models? Or does it effect all sizes and models of Puro filters?

They make a "Boss" model that uses what looks identical to German Mann full synthetic media. Like is/was supplied on Mercedes as a "fleece" filter. Those haven't shown tearing.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

They make a "Boss" model that uses what looks identical to German Mann full synthetic media. Like is/was supplied on Mercedes as a "fleece" filter. Those haven't shown tearing.

There have been reports of shredded ADBVs and closed louvers. I certainly am not going to spend money on their trash.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The smaller ones have the media packed in tighter, they seem to be less susceptible to tearing than the large ones.

I don't know about that. Honda filters are rather small, and my Purolator failed. A bunch of other Honda type Purolators as well.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

There have been reports of shredded ADBVs and closed louvers. I certainly am not going to spend money on their trash.

I'm well aware of that, having sent back two of them myself and commented here about it. The type I can use like PBL14477 don't have an adbv issue and the louvers are a check and see operation.

But his question is written above, and that's what I answered because everyone else was intent on showing tears in the lower filters. What does his question ask? What was my answer?

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

I'm well aware of that, having sent back two of them myself and commented here about it. The type I can use like PBL14477 don't have an adbv issue and the louvers are a check and see operation.

But his question is written above, and that's what I answered because everyone else was intent on showing tears in the lower filters. What does his question ask? What was my answer?

It was not my goal to offend anyone. I also believe the OP should be advised there are other issues with the Purolator line than just media tears. Even though I was off topic, I lean toward full disclosure. Obviously you believe in limited disclosure. I would encourage anyone considering the use of a particular filter to begin their google search with "site:bobistheoilguy.com" and a search term such as boss. I did this for the boss and the very first hit was a cut or torn ADBV. In good conscience, I would not recommend the filter type. I wish Purolator good luck but so far they don't seem to be delivering reliability.

Whether it is or isn't, is it really worth the risk? I still don't get why a handful longtime BITOG members are still running those time bombs unless it's on a car you don't particularly care for, that is.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Whether it is or isn't, is it really worth the risk? I still don't get why a handful longtime BITOG members are still running those time bombs unless it's on a car you don't particularly care for, that is.

I don't get it either, but if it makes them happy, go for it. For me its a big NO THANKS to Purolator.

"It was not my goal to offend anyone. I also believe the OP should be advised there are other issues with the Purolator line than just media tears. Even though I was off topic, I lean toward full disclosure. Obviously you believe in limited disclosure. I would encourage anyone considering the use of a particular filter to begin their google search with "site:bobistheoilguy.com" and a search term such as boss. I did this for the boss and the very first hit was a cut or torn ADBV. In good conscience, I would not recommend the filter type. I wish Purolator good luck but so far they don't seem to be delivering reliability."

Not offended, I was probably too direct. I did think of the adbv and louvers, but he asked media and it takes too many words sometimes. The adbv on the Puro models like PBL14477 has an inward facing neck, those are not in the holes getting cut. I was a big critic of Puro after I found a Bosch with an adbv off center on the end cap and it was for daughters car with a filter pointing down. Would have been all dry starts or worse. Like the Ultra is not an Extra Guard, the Boss is not a Classic or One or whatever they call them now. I figure if Mercedes approves that media for their cars, it should be good. I am not a particular fan of them, I just got a couple at a good price so will use them. I am glad they are synthetic because they might be old before they go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back