2008 Ford Edge 3.5L Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father is currently bidding on a bank-repo'd 2008 Ford Edge with under 70,000 miles, one-owner. We test drove it the other day and pretty much fell in love with it. If this were being sold by a dealer, they'd probably be asking between $9,000 to $10,000 for it. Our current bid is $5,500, and as far as we know, nobody else has outbid us. Tomorrow is the last day, and they'll tell us if we got it, or if someone bid higher (we're willing to go up to $6,200). I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I looked up the filter and saw it took an FL400s or equivalent sized filter. I have no problem using that, but I would like to know if there is room to fit an FL1A sized filer instead. Reason being that (although it's not her daily) my mom has a '96 Explorer that specs the FL1A, so I was hoping for a "2 birds with 1 stone" scenario, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone know if the FL1A or equivalent sized filter will fit on a 2008 Edge 3.5L?

the FL1A won't fit, but its possible perhaps there is one sized similar with the right thread pitch to screw on to the engine.

***edit. I am wrong. they both have the 3/4-16 thread pitch but I would skip the FL1A. I would go with something with a silicone ADBV

Last edited:
short answer, Yes.

my sable has the same engine, takes the same filters.
most of the aftermarket filter brands(in my experience anyway) use the same part number for both the FL1A, and Fl400s, and they are all FL1A sized.

they are definitely taller than the Fl400s.

I regularly use wix 51515's, and have never had a clearance issue in my sable, which sits a fair bit lower than an edge.

crud, duh, I use 51516. which is still taller than the FL 400S, .3" shorter than the 51515. the rest of the specs are identical. not sure if .3" is gonna make a HUGE difference either way...

Wix Crosses:
FL1A - 51515
FL400S - 51516

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E150GT
the FL1A won't fit, but its possible perhaps there is one sized similar with the right thread pitch to screw on to the engine.

***edit. I am wrong. they both have the 3/4-16 thread pitch but I would skip the FL1A. I would go with something with a silicone ADBV

Ah, so I'm assuming it's too large in diameter and thus due to limited space won't fit? Oh well.

Btw, the FL1A and FL400s both have silicone ADBV's. At least, from what I recall.

I guess I'll just use either the FL400s or an equivalent sized filter.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
short answer, Yes.

my sable has the same engine, takes the same filters.
most of the aftermarket filter brands(in my experience anyway) use the same part number for both the FL1A, and Fl400s, and they are all FL1A sized.

they are definitely taller than the Fl400s.

I regularly use wix 51515's, and have never had a clearance issue in my sable, which sits a fair bit lower than an edge.

crud, duh, I use 51516. which is still taller than the FL 400S, .3" shorter than the 51515. the rest of the specs are identical. not sure if .3" is gonna make a HUGE difference either way...

Wix Crosses:
FL1A - 51515
FL400S - 51516

Yeah, I know those are the x-refs, as I love Wix filters. I know Wix numbers for pretty much everything we own, though I don't always use them.

EDIT:

Waaait, did I read what you said wrong, E150GT?

Does the FL1A fit or not? I didn't ask about opinions on what filter to use. I asked if it will fit THE SPACE (I know they are both the same threads - I said that in my OP). That's all I want to know. This question is intended for people who have changed oil on an Edge: Is there enough space DIAMETER-wise to fit the FL1A OR EQUIVALENT sized filter on an 08 Edge 3.5L?

Last edited:
Okay, the FL1A does indeed use nitrile rather than silicone but that wasn't the point.

Has anyone ever used an FL1A or equivalent sized filter on a Ford Edge that specs the FL400s?

well one of the things you need to remember, as of jan 2009, that engine switched to the FL 500S filter(which has metric threads), so it's a much smaller sample of edge owners that can answer your specific question.

Looking at the 51515 specs, it is outer diameter is 3.6", while the 51516 is 2.9"

Trying to remember how much clearance there is around the filer on my sable, and if that .7" would be a deal breaker...
in my application, the exhaust takes a u-turn right around the filter...

i'm gonna have to give you a firm maybe...
unfortunately you might just have to be your own guinea pig on this one...
buy one of each, offer up the one you want to use, and if it doesn't fit, you'll have the right one on hand. and it's not like the other would go to waste, you have that other vehicle that uses it.

Last edited:
CAUTION: This is a web-based rant; read at your own risk. My name is Dave and I have an opinion.
grin2.gif

I guess I struggle to see the value in a thread like this ... What can the OP glean that is truly value-added?

Only two things can happen here:
1) your dad wins the bid. Take the Edge home and see if the bigger filter will fit. Why do you need to know PRIOR to owning it?
2) your dad loses the bid. You don't have to worry about it anyway.

- If someone chimes in a says "Yes - I've done it and it fits fine.", will that alter your actions on the day of purchase in a meaningful way? Are you planning an O/FCI right in the bank parking lot, as the ink dries on the check your dad writes, because you have a legitmate fear that the filter is two minutes away from catastrophic failure?
- If someone chimes in a says "Nope- I've tried it and it won't fit.", will that make your dad not buy the Edge?

My point is that the knowledge you seek really has ZERO value PRIOR to owning the car. Knowing or not knowing isn't going to alter the outcome of the bid.

Typical BITOG "what if ....." thread. Is there any harm in it? Nope - none whatsoever. But is there any value to it? Nope - none whatsoever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I guess I struggle to see the value in a thread like this ... My point is that the knowledge you seek really has ZERO value PRIOR to owning the car. Knowing or not knowing isn't going to alter the outcome of the bid. Typical BITOG "what if ....." thread. Is there any harm in it? Nope - none whatsoever. But is there any value to it? Nope - none whatsoever.

Correct, it's just simple curiosity.

Honestly - - why you'd want an FL-1A sized filter on that vehicle is beyond me.

CAUTION: This is a web-based rant; read at your own risk. My name is Dave and I have an opinion.
grin2.gif

I guess I struggle to see the value in a thread like this ... What can the OP glean that is truly value-added?

1) your dad wins the bid. Take the Edge home and see if the bigger filter will fit. Why do you need to know PRIOR to owning it?

- If someone chimes in a says "Yes - I've done it and it fits fine.", will that alter your actions on the day of purchase in a meaningful way? Are you planning an O/FCI right in the bank parking lot, as the ink dries on the check your dad writes, because you have a legitmate fear that the filter is two minutes away from catastrophic failure?
- If someone chimes in a says "Nope- I've tried it and it won't fit.", will that make your dad not buy the Edge?

My point is that the knowledge you seek really has ZERO value PRIOR to owning the car. Knowing or not knowing isn't going to alter the outcome of the bid.

Typical BITOG "what if ....." thread. Is there any harm in it? Nope - none whatsoever. But is there any value to it? Nope - none whatsoever.

My gosh man, there's no need to get your jimmies all rustled over a seriously nonchalant question. Did I say I was worried, or that I wanted to change the oil right away before leaving the lot? No, I didn't. Loosen up your belt and pop an aspirin. I'm worried someone in front of you at the grocery store is going to pay the teenage cashier with a 2 dollar bill, and you'll nearly have a heart attack when the kid thinks it's fake.

I never said I would gain anything from this other than being able to share a filter size between two vehicles (if we win the bid on the Edge that is - but now it seems we won't actually know until Monday because the woman at the bank in charge of it took today off).

That being said, I don't understand why you and many others throw a hissy fit when someone asks about using a larger filter that has the same threads, gasket size, and bypass psi. There is no disadvantage in doing so if it fits, whatsoever. Of course, the only [given] advantage is a slightly larger total oil capacity, and in my case there's the additional advantage of possibly sharing an oil filter size with another vehicle we have.

So, you are blatantly incorrect in saying there is no value in doing this.

As an idealist, pessimists tick me off to no end.

The box, or can, something comes in doesn't show what's inside. A larger can means the center tube drains out more oil if the filter points base down. A larger filter of one brand may have less media than the smaller filter of another brand. That's why I use the OE small filter size on my lawn mower, has filter base down and the oil pump is probably the size of a fly.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The box, or can, something comes in doesn't show what's inside. A larger can means the center tube drains out more oil if the filter points base down. A larger filter of one brand may have less media than the smaller filter of another brand. That's why I use the OE small filter size on my lawn mower, has filter base down and the oil pump is probably the size of a fly.

The 2008 Edge (and '96 Explorer) both have the filter mounts pointing straight down (6 O'clock), ergo the filter opening is on top (12 O'clock).

Furthermore, considering a specific series of oil filter will typically always have the same efficiency rating regardless of the size of filter and regardless of the amount of media, why even bring that up? For example all Wix/NAPA Gold filters have a 99% efficiency at 23 microns, at least according to O'Reilly's. It's completely a non-issue IMO.

---

I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on using larger filters. I've done my research over the years and formed my own opinion on it. I asked a simple question: "Does it fit?" (implying I don't know whether there is enough space to fit a filter with a slightly larger diameter).

Anyway, I see that only 2007 and 2008 Edge's were spec'd the FL400s, and the 2009 on up were spec'd the FL500s, so there might not be many people who have ever tried this anyway, even if there did so happen to be an owner (current or previous) of a 2007 or 2008 Edge here on the forums.

If we do win it (we'll find out Monday), I'll just try it out myself. It's not a big deal at all. I just don't see why folks here go mental when someone asks about using a larger filter. If it fits, it will be my decision to use it or not, not yours. Heck, even if it does fit, there's no guarantee I won't just stick with the FL400s or equivalently sized filter anyway. My OP was just meant to be a simple question to anyone who definitively knows yes or no, not an inquiry of your opinion on using oversized filters.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
My father is currently bidding on a bank-repo'd 2008 Ford Edge with under 70,000 miles, one-owner. We test drove it the other day and pretty much fell in love with it. If this were being sold by a dealer, they'd probably be asking between $9,000 to $10,000 for it. Our current bid is $5,500, and as far as we know, nobody else has outbid us. Tomorrow is the last day, and they'll tell us if we got it, or if someone bid higher (we're willing to go up to $6,200). I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I looked up the filter and saw it took an FL400s or equivalent sized filter. I have no problem using that, but I would like to know if there is room to fit an FL1A sized filer instead. Reason being that (although it's not her daily) my mom has a '96 Explorer that specs the FL1A, so I was hoping for a "2 birds with 1 stone" scenario, if you know what I mean.

Does anyone know if the FL1A or equivalent sized filter will fit on a 2008 Edge 3.5L?

Will you have the last bid? What happens if someone bids higher, one minute prior to cutoff time?

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
grin2.gif

My gosh man, there's no need to get your jimmies all rustled over a seriously nonchalant question. Did I say I was worried, or that I wanted to change the oil right away before leaving the lot? No, I didn't. Loosen up your belt and pop an aspirin. I'm worried someone in front of you at the grocery store is going to pay the teenage cashier with a 2 dollar bill, and you'll nearly have a heart attack when the kid thinks it's fake.

I never said I would gain anything from this other than being able to share a filter size between two vehicles (if we win the bid on the Edge that is - but now it seems we won't actually know until Monday because the woman at the bank in charge of it took today off).

That being said, I don't understand why you and many others throw a hissy fit when someone asks about using a larger filter that has the same threads, gasket size, and bypass psi. There is no disadvantage in doing so if it fits, whatsoever. Of course, the only [given] advantage is a slightly larger total oil capacity, and in my case there's the additional advantage of possibly sharing an oil filter size with another vehicle we have.

So, you are blatantly incorrect in saying there is no value in doing this.

As an idealist, pessimists tick me off to no end.

You didn't read closely enough.

I never said there was not value in the experiment. I said there is no value to this thread.

Where is the value of asking people here on BITOG if this larger filter fits the potential application?
- if it does fit, but you don't win the bid, the info is worthless to you
- if it does not fit, and don't win the bid, the info is still worthless to you
- if it does fit, and you win the bid, unless you OFCI in the lot, you don't need the info until you get home and find out yourself by trying it yourself
- if it does not fit, and you win the bid, unless you intend to OFCI in the bank lot, you don't need the info until you get home and try it yourself

Either your dad won't need the answer at all, or he can just wait until you get it home and try it yourself.

"i·de·al·ist
NOUN
a person who is guided more by ideals than by practical considerations
"

The optimist will say a glass is 1/2 full.
The pessimist will say a glass is 1/2 empty.
The idealist will wish the glass had more in it.
The realist just states the tangible quantifiable facts; the 16oz glass contains 8oz of fluid.

Your ideal view has no real value in the musing of this thread. It won't result in a practical, pragmatic actionable effort. It will either result in useless info to you, or info you should be able to find out yourself.

Reminds me of folks who ask what filter their car needs, or how many quarts they should buy, or ...
Because looking at their own owner's manual is tougher than typing the inane question into the keyboard and wanting someone else to do the work for them.

I told you it was a rant ... right?
grin2.gif

BTW - idealists tick off we realists ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back