Napa ProSelect Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Is there a general consensus regarding the overall quality/reliability of the Napa ProSelect Oil filters? I know that there has been talk about filtering efficiency being below some standards as well as the combo valve used for ADBV/Bypass. I've seen a lot of complaining/concerns about the combo valve but haven't seen or heard any "true" failures. Additionally, I noted that this combo valve has been in use for some time, I almost want to say since 2007 based on the revision of the technical bulletin on the web. I would think if there was some serious issues with this design, the manufacturer (Wix) would have likely changed the design. Your input is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I only ask because I have access to a box of these on the real cheap and was wondering if they are ok to use for my application. My OCI's are generally 4500-5000 miles. 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L (Napa 27899).

Thanks!

I really haven't heard anything bad about them.
I believe the SuperTech at walmart is now a "Pro Select"

If you are worried about low efficiency at all,
then maybe it's best to spend another $3-$4 on a better filter.

I would avoid the proselects that use the combo adbv/bypass valve. I noticed more start up noise with those filters. Every proselect I cut open had a fairly stiff valve even after 3000 miles.

welcome2.gif

The Proselect will be fine for 5k
smile.gif

I use them regularly. Filter construction is A1. Efficiency on some OEM filters is low ie Toyota OEM and you dont hear many Toyota owners having issues related to filter efficiency.

How cheap is real cheap? If less than $2.85 each, then they are a deal and fine for a 5000 mile OCI.

The reason for the $2.85 cut-off price, that is the price of the SuperTech filters at Walmart that are the same thing.

I have a ST2 (same as the 27899) on my truck right now with no concerns. While some complain about the unknown efficiency @ 20 microns (estimated by some to be around 68%), it is at least as good as most OEM (Toyota, Hyundai and estimated around 50% @ 20 microns from what I have read). Others complain about the combo-valve. While I am not crazy about it, it works and has not caused any issues that I know of for me.
I think it could be a problem in extreme cold and long intervals due to it being nitrile, but for me (almost never gets even too freezing, much less below it, and ~5000 mile intervals) it is fine.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Help save the landfills by buying the mid-level Frams and mid-level Wix, then use it for two 5K OCIs. That would also include the NAPA Golds.

Why are you putting you filters into the landfill? AZ, AAP, O'Reilly all take used filters around here, as do many city and county facilities.

For me, I cut them open and all metal goes into recycle bin. Media itself (with almost no oil left on it) goes into regular trash, although I have been debating using it as fire kindling out at the lake.

All that really matters about an oil filter is that doesn't fail. The air filter is what is important for long engine life.

I'm getting them for free from a friend that no longer needs them. I didn't want to take them if they were a substandard filter. I do generally use Napa Golds. Sounds like its an acceptable filter based on the consensus so far...

Thanks for the input.

Makes sense to me CT8. Which air filter do you use??

Very good job here OP. I thought it could be a Fram TG like CT8 thought as well.

Originally Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
I'm getting them for free from a friend that no longer needs them. I didn't want to take them if they were a substandard filter. I do generally use Napa Golds. Sounds like its an acceptable filter based on the consensus so far...

Thanks for the input.

For that price, I would definitely use them for a 5k interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back