6 months OCI ...leave the filter unchanged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that oil filters are more efficient when they are bit old( clogged) ...
Honda Accord 2003 4 cyl( oil burner ) I normally do between 6000 to 8000 KM in 6 months hence I only change oil and filter based upon the Honda prescribed 6 months OCI rather than kms...

I am running Mobil 1 oil with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter

Will I actually benefit from not changing the oil filter at 6 months OCI as by that time it only has approx 7000KM and will provide better efficiency for the next 6 motnhs rather than the new filter ?

or this little bit clogged filter is better theory is just a myth?

Cost is non issue to me ( Otherwise I would not run such an oil and filter combo on this car at the first place.. Car has 137000KMs.. drives like new)

Last edited:
My vote is for always changing the filter when you change the oil.
49.gif

Good luck!

In theory they filter better when they have some dirt collected, but probably not enough to matter.

In your case though, if you wanted to, you could leave the filter for 2 OCIs. Sounds like the internals should be pretty clean from regular changes, and the M1 filters are touted to run 15,000 miles. So by distance you are OK.

The State of California Fleet Administration ran extensive testing a few decades ago and came to the conclusion the filters should stay for 2 OCI's and oil should be changed at 6,000 miles. They administer some 25,000+ vehicles, so that's a big enough test to validate their results (no one-offs).

There are also some technical papers derived from recent studies that say that oil makes AW compounds as it ages in an engine. Compounds that are unique to that engine, environment (outside air temps, etc), local fuel, and drivers habits like hard acceleration, or not. These compounds are very beneficial to engine life and better overall lubrication.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4049815/1/Diesel_Piston_Ring_and_Liner_W

The oil you are using can readily go 10,000 miles. You are changing it before then, so the the detergent levels are always high and so is the TBN. One way to counter part of this fresh oil is to leave the filter and it's contents and only change it after the second OCI so that there is always some residual "used" oil in the system.

I have moved to this scenario after doing the do diligence and reading the papers. Others are moving in this direction too.

If the car does not consume oil, does not have a mechanical failure, and does not darken the oil prematurely (like first week), it's safe to say the the filter is not catching much. It is certainly not "full" by the change interval.

The biggest concern for wear is Fe particles in the system. Add a magnetic drain plug and catch those there. the filter can go longer. So can the oil as long as it's that oil (good) or an equivalent.

I agree with getting in, under and around the car every 6 months as visual inspection is important. But modern oils are taking us away from the short changes we grew up with ... Follow the book, but don't do unnecessary work or become overly compulsive about clean. Then engine wants what it wants and as long as it's OK (running well) just do what's prudent ...

Leave the filter - unless you have a sludged motor, even cheap filters will go 20k miles....IMO.

Your owners manual states you can change the filter every other does it not? My 2005 Accord said to change the oil every 10K miles and oil filter every 20K miles. Said so right in the manual.

If Honda thinks you can safely do it with a cheapy OEM filter, you can definitely do it with a premium filter.

I've been changing the filter every other on every car I own for the past 10 plus years and never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back