What's the best filter out of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my Impreza in my signature. 5000 mile OCI right now.

My options are Mobil 1 M1-110, Fram PH7317 Extra Guard, Fram XG7317 Ultra, Fram TG7313 Tough Guard, Subaru 15208AA15A (blue filter), Purolator PSL14612, Bosch 3974, microGreen 101-7, K&N HP-1010 (I've been using this).

Does it really matter out of all of those? Just choose what's cheapest?

You already know the answer, just waiting for the fanboys to show up.

Edit: I posted too late
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

So you'd say whatever's cheapest would work just fine?

Any of those but the Frams, I wouldn't put a Fram on my enemy's lawnmower. I had an orange can Fram collapse on me and starved my engine of oil in an old truck I had, cost me an engine so that ended my days of using Fram. Filter only had a few hundred miles on it too. Junk!

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
IMO, Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, microGreen; of those 3, whichever has the best price.

+1

And the Purolator Synthetic filter is fine as well.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Any of those but the Frams, I wouldn't put a Fram on my enemy's lawnmower. I had an orange can Fram collapse on me and starved my engine of oil in an old truck I had, cost me an engine so that ended my days of using Fram. Filter only had a few hundred miles on it too. Junk!

You do know the OEM filter is made by Fram? As is the Mobil 1?

What about bypass PSI? I read only the OEM, Wix, and Napa filters have the correct 23PSI bypass rating. That bit I know to be true, but I don't know if it really matters? Most people seem to say there's a 99.99% chance it doesn't matter and the people who say only go with the OEM/Wix/Napa don't really have anything to back them up other than "it sounds better go with correct spec".

I say M1 as my boss put almost 14,600 miles on one and it held up good. He's going 20k on the M1 filter I put back on. So, M1 or FU

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: car51
So, M1 or FU

That's the strongest support I've seen for M1 filters!

wink.gif
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: Trav

So you'd say whatever's cheapest would work just fine?

Absolutely, but if I had to choose one from this list it would be Subaru OE.

If you use Purolator, get the 14610, which is longer than the 14612
smile.gif

But for a 5k OCI, even the cheap filters will work well, like the Carquest R84356.

The K&N was outsourced to a Korean company a few years ago, and they're not as good as they used to be, and of course K&N didn't pass the savings on to the customer.

My choice would be the M1-110

But if there's an O'Reilly or Napa nearby, get the Wix or Napa Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back