xg9837

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the local auto parts store has a sale on Pennzoil Platinum with a fram XG9837. I was gonna use this oil and filter on my next oil change but I'm not sure about the fram filter. Im going to use pennzoil platinum but looking online the fram XG filter has no anti-drain back valve and no by-pass valve. Don't i want thoes features on my oil filter? I mite just get a acdelco then....

According to the Fram Catalog this is correct; it contains no bypass or ADBV, but the picture clearly shows a silicone valve in the filter with the exact model number pictured.

It probably does have the ADBV, but the engine usually has the bypass valve built in on GM applications where the filter doesn't have one.

My filters don't have bypass valves either, i use XG3387A and XG3980s, as the OEM AC Delco PF47/52 filters dont have it.

The Fram XG9837 DOES have a anti-drainback valve.

It does not have a bypasss valve as it is not needed.

Also something interesting, only the XG9837 has the anti-drainback valve. Both the TG9837 and PH9837 do not have one.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Also something interesting, only the XG9837 has the anti-drainback valve. Both the TG9837 and PH9837 do not have one.

This is odd.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
...Also something interesting, only the XG9837 has the anti-drainback valve. Both the TG9837 and PH9837 do not have one.

That being the case, for whatever reason Fram decided to match the oem spec and not use an adbv on the orange can and TG, and put one on the XG.

Equivalent 9837 applications in both the Wix/NG and Purolator Classic/P1 use an adbv. Having an adbv even where not originally spec'd hurts nothing.

And this is for GM using a block bypass.

you didn't say what car.

If warranty covers it under fits then go for fram, or if ac delco makes you feel better do ac delco then.

No need for ultra if you are running short ocis in good weather

Originally Posted By: Stewie
you didn't say what car.

If warranty covers it under fits then go for fram, or if ac delco makes you feel better do ac delco then.

No need for ultra if you are running short ocis in good weather

2010 chevy impala. The acdelco was longer than the fram XG. I plan on going by the OLM.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
why do you think it doesn't have the valve?....

I'm thinking likely because Fram's XG9837 information spec sheet linked says NO for adbv. http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG9837
Yet if one looks at the pic supplied with the spec sheet it shows a silicone adbv, same as other XG's. And the fram rep previously commenting on the fiber 9837's with no adbv, also says the XG uses an adbv.

As for the Fram no adbv topic, there was a question once about no adbv on Fram for a 4.2L Trailblazer. After doing some research I came up with an explanation linked below.* Without repeating entirely, Fram makes distinction on whether to use and adbv depending on the year. Otoh, as I noted ealier Wix and Purolator make no distinction, they use an adbv on all the GM applications.
*http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._mi#Post3141456

And based on the information in the link it appears the AC Delco PF61/61E now also use an adbv.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
So....... should I ge the XG filter or the acdelco then?

Does the AC Delco for your vehicle have an "e" at the end of it? If it does, I would run the next cheapest filter that meets your intended OCI's needs.

O'Reilly has on oil change special of PP and a wix filter for i think $34 + a $15 O'Reilly gift card after Mail in rebate. Would the wix filter last my whole OLM?

old post, off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread quick question...

is there a over sized Fram ultra for the XG9837?

If a topic interests you please start a new one, dredging one up from 4+ years ago helps no one.

If you have enough time to ask an off topic question and dig up an old topic.

You have time to start a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back