Erase passwords in one computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to erase all passwords on my work computer before turning it in. I have googled on how to, but it states that it'll erase passwords on all my accounts, even on my home computer, I believe. Internet Explorer, Firefox and chrome each have a few passwords

Can't you "wipe" the computer or do a restore to original install ? That's what the computer folks will do. In all seriousness, they have no interest in your passwords.

If you can't wipe it, you might be able to remove your user account and that will take all of your data with it.

Originally Posted by daves66nova
I want to erase all passwords on my work computer before turning it in.

Maybe I'm computer illiterate, but don't you type your password when you log on to a website? Why would it be ON your computer?

Originally Posted by atikovi

Maybe I'm computer illiterate, but don't you type your password when you log on to a website? Why would it be ON your computer?

There are various password storage apps and most browsers can store your passwords, so you don't have to type them every time you log onto a website.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

There are various password storage apps and most browsers can store your passwords, so you don't have to type them every time you log onto a website.

I have that on most forum websites I go to but isn't it stored at the other end? At the website. Isn't that why they need cookies and they won't let you on until you let them use cookies?

I would change your account passwords, so the passwords you miss on the company machine cannot be used.

Originally Posted by Dave9
You can do that in each respective browser. That only deletes them on that one computer you're doing it on.

Unless the user is syncing their data. The first thing I do whenever using a new install of Chrome, Opera, Firefox or Edge is log in to my respective account and sync my data.

If windows 10, just hold down shift when clicking restart. You'll get to a menu with an option to "reset your pc". That will wipe the thing back to a bare windows install.

If you don't want to do that, you can uninstall the browsers you saved them in, and remove the folder for them under the hidden appdata folder in your user profile. And then go into credential manager in control panel and remove any you see in there.

To be honest, as an IT person myself, we don't give a carp about users' personal stuff and I remove it all from a workstation when someone leaves anyway. But I appreciate your concern about security. I wish more people were like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I have that on most forum websites I go to but isn't it stored at the other end? At the website. Isn't that why they need cookies and they won't let you on until you let them use cookies?

All those cookies are stored locally on your machine.

On any competent, responsible website, they only store a "hash" of your password. They can't read it or see the actual characters. That's why if you forget your password, you can't give them information that proves it's you and they say, "okay, it's really you, here's your password". You only have the option to reset it, i.e. start over.

Google "password hashing" or "browser website password hash". It involves encryption, security keys, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back