New gaming build shutting down on Metro 2033

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I put together the following: i9 9900KF, Nvidia RTX 2080, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra MB, 32GB ram, 2ea. 2TB Samsung 970 plus M.2 hard drives.

The video card and PS are fairly new, as they were used for a few weeks in my i7 2700K build. That one shut down too on Metro 2033.

Both the new and old builds shut down, hard and cold, on Metro 2033 and occasionally on Prey, but not in regular use. GPU temps get WAY up there at times, but I turned the fans up and resolution down, GPU temps stay below 60c and still shuts down.

Previous build w/old PS (one I can't use on the RTX 2080 card) shut down too. So, I don't know what to think, other than to blame the game.

CPU temps are low, no fault codes recorded in Windows.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting?

Are you manually setting the 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel, if so try turning off some settings. Usually I have these set to off on my 1080. DSR - Factors, Low Latency Mode, Max Frame Rate, Multi-Frame Sampled AA, Shader Cache. I read alot about shader cache as being possible culprit in crashes in a number of games. I normally set Power management mode to Adaptive. You can play with other settings like setting the aniosotropic filtering and overriding the game's antialisaing mode which I normally set manually in the nvidia control panel.

Originally Posted by Danno
What's the PS model? How old is the PS?

PS is a Corsair CX 750 M. It's a month old.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Is the video card on the latest drivers? Is it stock or overclocked?
What's the size of the PSU? Should be at least 650W for a GTX 2080.

Yes, built the unit yesterday. Drivers are the latest.

The RTX 2080 is on all stock settings. Nothing is overclocked or tweaked. However, I did install "afterburner" so I could turn the video card fans all the way up. Did not help.

Corsair CX is a middle of the road/budget minded unit. You spent a small fortune on CPU/Cooling/GPU and you bought a $80 power supply.... tisk tisk.

Check you dont have both 12v connectors for the 2080 on the same cable/rail or sharing a line with the cpu.
Even if the PSU is a single rail design each 8 pin connector is rated around 100W if memory serves. Get HWinfo64 and use the log feature to check voltages during load.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Corsair CX is a middle of the road/budget minded unit. You spent a small fortune on CPU/Cooling/GPU and you bought a $80 power supply.... tisk tisk.

Any suggestions as to a better brand/unit?

I have a spare PS, maybe I'll hook the spare only to the video card and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by Danno
What's the PS model? How old is the PS?

PS is a Corsair CX 750 M. It's a month old.

I had the exact same power supply, and ran a big water cooled system with dual Nvidia 980 in SLI. I had the same behavior if I left the Nvida cards in SLI mode and ran a game. I upgraded the power supply and the problem went away. The Corsair is an OK power supply, but I think it gets choked on the power rail that goes to the card. See if this is the behavior- game is running for 1-10 minutes in heavy graphics demand, and machine just powers off- no errors, no warning, no nothing. You may have to unplug or power off at the power supply to reset it. If so, that is even further pointing to the power supply. You can also try underclocking (way serious underclock) the graphics card to see if the problem goes away. In my case I had a Kill-A-Watt meter and was only drawing about 450 watts, but it just exceeds the capacity on the VGA rail.

There are power supply testers available, but I do not think the cheap ones will tell you much in this situation. Look for a bigger, newer power supply that will support SLI , and donate the Corsair to another PC or eBay. Try putting in your config into https://pcpartpicker.com/ and see if it throws any errors on the power supply (I probably will not, but it might).

Thanks all,

Can I try running the video card from an external PS? The 2080 has dual power inlets. Or does the MB tell the PS to turn on all at once?

Thanks all,

Can I try running the video card from an external PS? The 2080 has dual power inlets. Or does the MB tell the PS to turn on all at once?

I don't think so, or at least I'm not aware of the method. Normally you can jump two pins on the 24 pin connector to turn the PSU on, but I only used this method to see if the fan spins. I'm not sure if the jumper will actually make the PSU fully functional.

You will have to connect the CPU, mother board, gpu and system drive at the very list to the new PSU in order for the system to boot.

Last edited:
Thanks all,

I don't think so, or at least I'm not aware of the method. Normally you can jump two pins on the 24 pin connector to turn the PSU on, but I only used this method to see if the fan spins. I'm not sure if the jumper will actually make the PSU fully functional.

You will have to connect the CPU, mother board, gpu and system drive at the very list to the new PSU in order for the system to boot.

You can definitely jumper the PSU to life, I've done it a pile of times.

If nothing shows up in the event viewer (in case there's software bugs and there's a debug file available) you can stress test your system with a bench program like 3Dmark (while looking at the amazing FutureMark graphics.) If anything will shut down your PC from high load, that'll be it.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Thanks all,

You can definitely jumper the PSU to life, I've done it a pile of times.

Cool and good to know it actually powers on the PSU properly. Thanks for your, as usual, helpful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back