Mac Operating System World - 2018 Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

In a follow up to the last thread I started "Hate Windows Rant" I was also upset about the pricing of the Mac Mini.

Anyway, again, I am just in thinking stage. By that I mean, is it something I really want and not just a whim? I have a fully functional late model Windows 10 computer.
I have multiple quality computers that are unused because of age that would work with Linux. Without question we are are Win 10 family but not dependent in anyway on WIndows 10.

Anyway, with cash to burn on something I would never bother buying (cash back form credit cards) I do have the option to buy a Mac mini.

I would love some feedback from those in the Mac World. Both good and bad.
Lets face it, I already know SOME things may not work on the MAC system. But form what I understand, MAC is much more secure and maybe a bit more ethical in trying to protect my privacy compared to Windows?

But I assume anything that has to do with banking, buying and selling stuff and using online web hosting(not a deal breaker if not) companies the Mac would be fine.

Email from any companty will work, such as protonmail

So what is the drawback?
I assume just about any monitor will work, I know it has firewire but can also use HDMI.

What have you done about keyboards/mouse?
Do you use Apple products or after market?

Im thinking of the mini with 256GB sold state, 8 gb of standard, I5 and absolutely has to be the new 2018+ model

Last edited:
I have a similar setup for my consulting work against a MacBook Pro 2017 with former Windows setup using a windows monitor, old windows mouse, and old windows keyboard.

You have to remap keyboard slightly with the Windows key and Alt key to become Option and Command. I think there is a setting to state windows keyboard. I was really miffed my monitor fonts being not as clear on Mac but then realized recently there was a fix>>> https://medium.com/@mrahmadawais/fix-macos-mojave-blurry-font-rendering-issue-4331757b0776

If you really need to run Windows you can install on external USB drive/cheap SSD ($40) and leverage Bootcamp which allows you to boot to Mac or choose the external drive with windows.

Thank you Madriver, if I go Mac, Ill never see a need to run Windows on it as I have 3 current Win10 desktops and 2 Win 10 laptops now.
I already understood about the possible conflicts in taking along my Win keyboard and mouse.

Are you happy with the "Mac World" operating system?
Do you feel its more more secure?

OS X/macOS has a very different operating philosophy from Windows.

After 7+ years of doing most of my computing on Macs, there are things that are second nature to me on them that I have to sit down and think about in Windows. With that said, the learning curve was a bit tough, but not that long. Also, Apple has-to me-lost some of the overall "polished" feel of older OSs in more recent versions. I still have some specific uses for Mac OS(different from macOS), particular OS 9, occasionally, and there are often times when it just amazes me at how much thought went into implementing certain aspects of the UI. macOS 10.15(Catalina) is getting rid of the dashboard, which came with OS X 10.4, and is something I use multiple times a day so I likely won't be upgrading.

One thing I will say is that MS Office for Macs is not as good as its Windows counterpart. 2016 is a lot better than 2011, and overall I can do anything I need to do.

Most other popular programs are available for both platforms, so that's not a big issue. Occasionally, I run into specialized scientific programs(usually work stuff) that won't run-I have a couple of Windows virtual machines as a "last resort" but that may be more than you want to get into. If you want to explore that route, Parallels is probably the most polished and easiest to use virtualization software on the market. I use VMWare, primarily because it's significantly more flexible than Parallels(it also lets me virtualize older versions of OS X, which has its uses).

I really like Apple's built in Mail software, although you can use Outlook, Thunderbird, or whatever else you want to also.

I feel like MAC is more secure however not an expert. I run no virus software.

I love the experience that is integrated to iPhone(clipboard, take photo of work pen sketch and click copy phone and paste into Mac) and the command line for work is my familiar bash shell/commands from Unix I did at college 30 years ago .

Both my main systems at this point are Mac's, one is an old Mac Pro (mid 2010) that's had a few upgrades (SSD, upgraded hex-core CPU, 16GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 680) and the other a more recent MacBook Pro. Both have parallels installed with Windows 10 for "when needed". I deal with Windows every day and thus enjoy the break from it that OS X provides. I've also got a few *nix boxes, but prefer OS X as my primary OS at this juncture.

I'm currently using an HP keyboard, as I hate the Apple keyboard, and using an Logitech gaming mouse, as I dislike the "magic" mouse. I use a Microsoft notebook mouse with my MacBook.

Regarding the screens, I'm currently using 2x 27" screens on the Mac Pro, the first being the Apple one the 2nd just being an LG LED one. They run different resolutions but this isn't an issue. I have a similar LG screen mated to my MacBook.

All of the major web browsers are available, I typically have FF, Brave and Chrome running. The MS Office suite is also available, though as bunnspecial noted, it isn't quite as good as the Windows version. It is however still quite capable, and of course there are the Apple office apps such as pages and numbers that are typically sufficient.

I think you'll like it once you get onto it. It's definitely more "static" than Windows 10, even with the major upgrades (EG, 10.13 -> 10.14).

I can't help with the particulars of displays, keyboards or mouses, but as a long time windows user (and still use at work) who switched in 2012 or so (I'm typing this on a Late 2012 MBP-R) my advice is DO IT. After a couple days you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner, even more so if you have iPADs or iPhones.

It now includes some office like programs (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) which will generally replace Word, Excel and Powerpoint. There are a lot of diagnostic programs I need to run on a Windows box, but pretty much everything else I need to do gets done on Mac.

Don't know if Mac is better but I own Apple stocks buy, buy, buy, Apple products

Save your self some grief and get 16GB of RAM. 8GB is far to little in a modern computer. For software you have Safari, Chrome, and Firefox - MSOffice (not free), OpenOffice (free) , or Pages/Keynote/Numbers (free).

You can add several external 4K HDMI monitors to the mini, I just used a 30" Samsung 4K TV.

A good alternative is a Macbook Air or 13"Macbook pro in a similar configuration.

Originally Posted by NO2
Save your self some grief and get 16GB of RAM. 8GB is far to little in a modern computer. For software you have Safari, Chrome, and Firefox - MSOffice (not free), OpenOffice (free) , or Pages/Keynote/Numbers (free).

You can add several external 4K HDMI monitors to the mini, I just used a 30" Samsung 4K TV.

A good alternative is a Macbook Air or 13"Macbook pro in a similar configuration.

I have yet to have a problem with only 8gb of ram on my MacBook Pro.

I grew up in an Apple household, and vowed to NEVER buy anything Apple related. I now have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone lol.... I blame windows 10 for the MacBook Pro.

One other thing:

On mice-any generic 2 or 3 button USB mouse should be plug and play and work fine. This has actually been the case since the early days of OS X. I actually like Apple's older "Mighty Mouse", which uses a little miniature scroll ball instead of a scroll wheel, but it's not without problems. The current Magic Mouse takes a bit of getting use to, but works well. I'm not wild about the rechargeable battery, which would be great aside from the fact that you can't use the mouse while it's charging.

Your life with a Mac is honestly easier with an Apple keyboard, although unfortunately Apple hasn't really made a keyboard that I actually like in a good time. If pressed to use a modern-ish product, I'd pick the wired aluminum keyboard, which again I don't think has been made in several years. My favorite Apple branded USB keyboard is the M7803, which hasn't been made since ~2003. I woudn't buy the current "Magic Keyboard" given that it uses the problematic butterfly key mechanism. I use a Unicomp Spaceaver M on both of my Mac Pros(one at home, one at work). This is a variation of the IBM Model M "buckling spring" design, but with Mac-specific keys on it.

If you decide to use a Windows keyboard, generally the Windows keys will, by default, map to the "Command" keys on Macs, which function like the "Alt" key in Windows. The "alt" key works as the option key as Macs, which lets you do things like hit opt+0 for a º sign or opt+z for Ω. Control is probably the least use-the biggest use I know of for it is to right click if you only have a single button on your mouse.

With current Macs, get the best specs you can afford because lots of Apple models are either difficult to upgrade or impossible because components are soldered on the mother board. I just checked Mac Mini and the only upgradeable thing is RAM. The processor and the SSD are not upgradable.

Oh, another thing I love about MacOS and hated about Windows.... if there's an update for MacOS it just politely reminds you and gives you an option of when to reboot. Windows 10 would just surprise me with an update upon boot up/restart, which is infuriating IMO when all I needed to do is one quick thing.

Wow!
I cant thank you all enough for your posts and lots of great comments in here to much to address to everyone, so thanks everyone!

Robert, I know how you are with things so believe you when you say "do it" *L*

Kris, yes, I am aware off upgrade limitations and honestly, other then ram I never felt the need to upgrade in the last decade and hard drives.video cards not in the last close to 2 decades, mother boards not in over 2 decades. Tech moves (to me) so fast now, I hold onto a computer till I feel everything should be upgraded and get a new one. *L*

NO&Skippy ... I am sure 8gb of ram is plenty on a Mac. Its fine on my AMD A12 Windows Desktop so I know I will be fine with the Mac Mini into the future. Actaully the biggest weakness with the Mac mini is the integrated graphics card. Again, it will not be a problem for me. Im not a gamer or heavy duty multi-tasker. I do uploads from my Nikon DLSR, shopping, forums and admin some websites, read the news, forums ect. That is all.
The new Mac mini from what i read is like the much loved Mac mini's from 5 to 8 years ago and now more then double the speed. So I should be good and expect it will be just as fast as my AMD A12 Windows system....

Bunnspecial thanks for the feedback on the keyboard and mouse. I have to agree with some, I hate the MAC look and feel of the keyboard and mouse that I have seen in Best Buy, I want to be able to use my Windows Keyboard, (get this) I want to use my WINDOWS TRACKBALL, love it! been with me like, 15 years already.
and I am PERFECTLY happy with my AOC inch monitor but might be time for an upgrade, looks great though and love the brushed stainless stand and lower frame.

Anyway, to anyone not mentioned, thanks for your posts too. Got a lot of thinking to do and honestly, I have to make sure I am not just off on another, "want to buy something new" trip *L* Except for windows, I love my setup *L* ... and dont want to get stuck trying to make things work with a mac mini. Keyboard, Mouse, Brother 6490CW printer etc. Will I already have to start adding an adapter for extra USB ports>>??

I dont use office and if I have to, my wife has two desktops with it.

Darn Macs are expensive for the hardware and that is ok but almost prohibitive adding Mac extras and accessories. So if I do this I want to make sure the experience is what I think it will be, as described by Duckrider.

One other thing, I was just watching a youtube review and last year they thought the MAC Mini (2018) was a GREAT upgrade, this year 2019 they feel your better saving up/spending a little more for the Imac because all the extras that you get in the 2019 Imac model that of course includes a killer good display.
My problem with the IMAC is I do not want an "all in one" computer but this review makes the better IMAC look very cost effective compared to the Mini and they almost question why by the mini when you can get so much more for a few hundred dollars.

So now I am at the point of, My windows HP A-12 desktop cost about the price of 8 gb of ram, key board and mouse of a MAC! But it has Windows. .. :eek:(

and ... Like I tend to do, I will get myself so confused I'll do nothing for another year *LOL* we will see.

Last edited:
hmmmm ... ^^^see above post^^^
After thinking a bit, going to at least check out the IMAC 21.5 inch I5 in Best Buy, not crazy about an all in one ... but who knows... and once again .. not sure if I will do anything this year, maybe, maybe not.

If you want a desktop and not an AIO, you can always wait for the new Mac Pro to ship. It's only like $5K. For maximum effect, be sure to get the matching screen, which is $6K(plus another $1K for the stand).

Truth be told, I don't know if I'd want a 21.5" iMac. Apple tends to make that sort of their "cheap entry" model, and the specs on the basic one are pretty abysmal. You can spec it out pretty nicely, but even with all else equal a 27" will still tend to be faster since its thermal management is better.

Apple's big attention now is on portables, and I get the impression a lot of times that they'd be happy if you just used a portable in clamshell mode as your main computer. Of course, doing that is sort of pointless as you're paying for a lot of stuff that you're never going to use.

Regarding iMac all in one, I'm not sure I agree that it is all that much better. You get the screen, but you have a core duo processor, vs quad core in mini.
You get a hard drive instead of an SSD. And SSD makes a big difference in every day use and quickness of the operating system.
You do get a slightly better graphics card vs the mini.

In the end, I don't think the choice is all that clear and both have compromises.

Both machines should serve well for years. Our 2012 macbook air is still doing fine despite weak specs. The battery will need to changed soon though.

I don't think Apple would be any more ethical about information sharing than Microsoft as both are profit seeking and will do everything, ethical or unethical, they can get away with to maximize profits.

As for the OS, I find Windows to be a better system than OSX with the GUI part. But OSX gets the job done and I haven't felt limited in any way.

Keyboard/mouse... I use a wireless setup on my MacBook Air.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Regarding iMac all in one, I'm not sure I agree that it is all that much better. You get the screen, but you have a core duo processor, vs quad core in mini.
You get a hard drive instead of an SSD. And SSD makes a big difference in every day use and quickness of the operating system.
You do get a slightly better graphics card vs the mini.

In the end, I don't think the choice is all that clear and both have compromises.

Both machines should serve well for years. Our 2012 macbook air is still doing fine despite weak specs. The battery will need to changed soon though.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I am starting to think in 25 years of using Windows Machines, I am going to make the switch. Now just watch, once I do, Apple will abandon the PC market. *L* not kidding.

Maybe I needed to be more clear on the specs, I thought I was in my first post but in my first post I wasnt as informed.

I really dont need a computer but am leaning to choice #1
My choices are narrowed down to 2 now, last night I was up to 3 choices and anything can change or heck, maybe Ill stick with what I got for now, my A12 HP.*L*

KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ALL 2018-2019 machines, not earlier models that are being discounted.

1. Mac Mini, I5 - 6core processor, 8gb ram, Intergrated graphics, 256 SSD No monitor.

2. IMac 21.5 inch all in one, I5- 6 core processor, 8gb ram, Radeon Graphics with 2 to 5 gb ram/much faster then the mini, 1TB FUSION Drive (not the low rated 5400) and of course a 4/5k 21.5 killer monitor.

3. IMac 27 inch all in one, I5- 6 core processor, 8gb ram, Radeon Graphics with 2 to 5 gb ram/much faster then the mini, 1 TB FUSION drive and of course 27 inch a 4/5k killer monitor.

I would love the 27 inch (choice 3), I can get a killer deal and that includes a 5k monitor instead of 4 k. But darn it, no matter how I look at it it wont fit with the shelves above my desk and heck, I am not getting a new desk or modifying it. Its a bit on the large side but if it fit, the 27 would be it.

I would like the 21.5 inch as it will fit my desk just fine, I would be ok with the 1TB Fusion HD because it has a dedicated graphics card with 2 to 5 gb of memory, yet IF I AM CORRECT the only place this would really help is editing/producing video/sound or I guess playing games which I dont do.
BIG problem I have is to me, the 21.5 monitor screen size is a bit small by todays standard my current monitor screen size is 22.75 or almost 23.

Which brings me back to the choice #1 Mac Mini, the part that sucks about the Mac mini is integrated graphics at this price point, ok, it does have a 256GB SSD and honestly I might notice a better increase in speed with that over the Fusion drive in the other models because I do not do video/sound editing. Also no option to increase that 256GB as it is soldered in.

SO I have a bit more research to do but choice #1 is looking attractive. I wish it had a Radeon Graphics card but it isnt going too, yet I love the fact that it is not all in one computer.I can use my existing equipment, monitor, keyboard, mouse and best part is I can buy a new monitor which will fit my desk in the 24 inch range.

Make no mistake though, the built in monitors on the APPLE products, from what I read are top of the line and superior all others.
and for that reason, Choice #2 still an option, YET I do like the option of buying my own monitor because I personally like a flat screen over glossy, glossy drives me nuts but I can adapt to anything.

----------
Bunnspecial both 21.5 and 27 models come with same equipment and options, its only "entry level" if one chooses for either size and honestly the entry mini comes with soldered in SSD and the 21 and 27 are Hard Drives BUT the mini has integrated graphics and the 21 and 27 come with Radeon cards.. choices/choices.

Alfred, NO I dont believe that at all, without question APPLE is concerned about privacy and truly at the forefront and actaully why on my anti google/avoid all google and everyone else about privacy is one reason I am switching to APPLE, not only that but their new 2018/2019 machines are at the top line in security.
Please read and scroll down and watch Tim Cooks speech;
Weaponized against us with military efficiency - click

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back