How to get my new wifi to show my location??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been at my new house for almost 3 months now. For some reason my internet and wifi will not show my geographic location.

Specifically anything that uses wifi will either not show a location at all or show a location 8-10 miles from me.

If you were to bring your wifi only ipad to my house and hit the map icon, it would not show my location, just have the spinning wheel.

If you brought your laptop and logged into Google maps, it would show different locations. It might be a couple miles off or 10 miles off.

If I'm outside with my Iphone it will be accurate with its GPS. Just not on wifi.

Any ideas on how I can tell my internet where my correct location is?? Have been trying to find help on this online but no answers.

Tom

it's how your telco does things, my location is in the middle of my Zip code. Which is a good thing.

On the Apple Maps, there is a way to fix your location. Give your location a name and save it in maps. This will be the wrong location at first but save it anyway. Then Select your location and in the menu there should be a “edit location” selection. Use that to fix your location properly. That also sends a report to Apple who will reset it. It usually takes a few months so be patient.

I had the same issue and Amazon had problems as well until one of their delivery guys called it in on his device while standing in the driveway. They were able to adjust it right away.

you cant tell your internet anything..

its possible you can fix a home location manually depending on app/device etc.

It is pre-determined by your provider. Best thing you can do is to have your phone locate you and then set that as your location on Google Maps. That's how I did it. Otherwise I would be located 3 miles from my home lol

Thanks for all the answers. I've never had wifi that showed a incorrect location.

Seems like now a lot of the web sites want to know your location for directions to the nearest store etc.

I also use a lot of weather apps that want to show your location for weather radar etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back