Help, Need a new DOCSIS cable modem and router

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just upgraded my internet service from 30 Mbps to 100 Mbps (WOW Cable) and my old Zoom modem router combo unit cant handle the speed.

So I have 2 question.

1. Should I bother with getting a cable modem that is DOCSIS 3.1 or stay with the 3.0 version since I have no current plans to get any faster than 100 Mbps

2. Routers, thinking a dual band or maybe even a tri band router. I have a wife and 2 teenagers in the house, all the electronics and thinking of installing a 4 camera Arlo Pro security camera system in. My short list so far is ASUS RT-AC86U Dual Band Wireless Router AC2900 or a refurbished ASUS AC5300 Wireless Tri-Band (Dual 5GHz + Single 2.4GHz) Gigabit Router [RT-AC5300] for the same price.

Any thoughts or advise?

Get the most versatile router you can... if all the RF channels are busy on your neighborhood the newer tech can "cope" better. Find your ISPs preferred list. It will also help if you ever need their tech support; they are less likely to blame your frugal independent choice.

I went with an Arris Surfboard SB6183 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk X8 both from Costco and kicked the gateway from Comcast to the curb about 2 years ago--performance is amazing. Comcast is now rolling fiber gigabit and if I go to that I will need to upgrade the modem as the 6183 is only good for 686mbs.

I would choose 3.1 just to future proof. If the refurb AC5300 has the same warranty as new that would be my choice with kiddos. I have an AC2400 and it reaches every corner of a 2400 sq ft house even with the worst location and multiple walls.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

1. Should I bother with getting a cable modem that is DOCSIS 3.1 or stay with the 3.0 version since I have no current plans to get any faster than 100 Mbps

My advice is to always choose a cable modem that is on your ISP's compatibility list. This is will shortcut the inevitable, "Well, it might be your equipment..." excuse if you ever have any issues and your modem is not on the list. From Wow's list, I'd probably pick the tried and true Motorola SB6141. FWIW,
Wow lists only one DOCSIS 3.1 modem on their list.

http://www.wowway.com/docs/wow/documents-support-internet/modem-compatibility-list.pdf

Full disclosure... I partially say the SB6141 because it's the same modem I have for Comcast 100 Mbps service in Michigan and it's been rock solid. I wish Wow served my neighborhood though. I've had them in a previous house and they're a great ISP.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

2. Routers, thinking a dual band or maybe even a tri band router. I have a wife and 2 teenagers in the house, all the electronics and thinking of installing a 4 camera Arlo Pro security camera system in. My short list so far is ASUS RT-AC86U Dual Band Wireless Router AC2900 or a refurbished ASUS AC5300 Wireless Tri-Band (Dual 5GHz + Single 2.4GHz) Gigabit Router [RT-AC5300] for the same price.

The AC5300 is a beast. I assume you're looking at the refurb units at Micro Center for $279? At that price, I can't recommend against it.

My experience (I have an Asus RT-AC87U) is that 5 GHz doesn't have the range that 2.4 GHz has and when the signal does start to drop, the performance drops much more quickly. I tend to keep stationary items, like my Apple TVs, on the 5 GHz band, where I know they're in-range and will stay there. All our mobile devices are on the 2.4 band.

I installed a trio of Arlo cameras last week. Easy peasy and no network issues.

I have Spectrum 100 mbps and seem to exceed the 100 all the time, mostly.
I just did a test wondering exactly I would pull today, as its a dreary stormy rain soaked day here.

I have a TP link Docsis 3.0 and Tplink Archer C7 AC 1700 router, both maybe about 2 years old (maybe less, cant remember) Been rock solid. "Just because" I also did a firmware update on the C7 since it was available. I also have snap on ferrite filters on all equipment power lines and cables.

My results just a few minutes ago, using my new HP A12 desktop on 5G wifi-

SPEED TEST PLUS
Internet Quality Test

DOWNLOAD
Mbps

UPLOAD
Mbps

LATENCY
ms

JITTER
ms

Quality is Excellent
Your broadband connection and line quality is
Excellent

Last edited:
Quote:
My experience (I have an Asus RT-AC87U) is that 5 GHz doesn't have the range that 2.4 GHz has and when the signal does start to drop, the performance drops much more quickly. I tend to keep stationary items, like my Apple TVs, on the 5 GHz band, where I know they're in-range and will stay there. All our mobile devices are on the 2.4 band.

We do the same and it works out extremely well. Never a flutter when streaming and phones stay hooked up both inside & out. Phones, tablets, and laptops on 2.4 with TVs and TIVO on 5.0. Nine items connected to router although all are not being used at the same time of course.

Quote:

My advice is to always choose a cable modem that is on your ISP's compatibility list.

Excellent advice, I had forgotten about that completely.....it's a MUST!

""The AC5300 is a beast. I assume you're looking at the refurb units at Micro Center for $279? At that price, I can't recommend against it.""

There is a refurb AC5300 for $219. Forgot the name of the store for the moment.

I have my old modem form 6+ years ago. Currently streaming 4K, plus laptop, 3 phones, etc etc etc. Have not yet seen the need to upgrade. Router is ASUS RT-AC52U, payed 70 bucks for it... scratching my head over the nearly 400 dollar price tag on Amazon...

I agree with the SB6141 modem. For the price, you cannot beat the Asus AC5300 router. I am a recent Linksys fan convert to Asus routers. I bought two of the TM-AC1900 routers (TMobile) and converted them to RT-AC68Us.

Well I ended up getting a Netgear CM600 modem. It was on the list and cheap. I didn't get the DOCSIS 3.1 modem because they are 2X more expensive at this time. I would guess that if I ever need a 3.1 they will have dropped in price. I did get the ASUS AC5300 router. It was a pretty good deal but it didn't come with the included CD, Manual, ethernet cable. Not a big deal.

Everything is up and running smoothly. It's interesting to see the router switching devices between bands seamlessly as the girls come home and start up all the electronic stuff in the house. Kind of like having an air traffic controller inside your modem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back