Free wheel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a free hub an old school freewheel. They call for medium weight oil. But what does that mean?

SAE20 ?

Gear OIL
75W90 ?
75W140 ?
85W140 ?

Currently running the heaviest 85W140 and t seems fine only drawback seems to be that it's way more silent than all the other bikes so people don't hear me coming the gear oil dampens all noise. Haven't really had the pawls slip and it seems to still not get stuck in winter -20C which is a relief but I never did figure out what they mean by medium weight oil.

SAE20 non detergent oil didn't seem to work that well I could hear some level of metal scraping noises and overall it was a bit loud vs the 85W140 that took all the noise away as soon as the freewheel was flooded with it.

85W140 seems to last around 2 years without needing a top off eventually you'll know you need a top off as the ticking noise becomes louder.

Originally Posted by vortex

Currently running the heaviest 85W140 and t seems fine only drawback seems to be that it's way more silent than all the other bikes so people don't hear me coming the gear oil dampens all noise. Haven't really had the pawls slip and it seems to still not get stuck in winter -20C which is a relief .

Sounds like you picked a winner

Phil wood or your favorite gear oil. I like to flush with a light weight oil and then work in the heavy stuff. Apply a little extra and let it rest flat over night .

I've taken freewheels apart and packed the bearings and pawls with grease. Tedious, but lasts much longer than oil. I used to read warnings that that would cause pawls to fail to grip in cold weather, when the grease becomes too thick. However, I've never experienced that hypothetical trouble, using synthetic bearing grease.

Originally Posted by CR94
I've taken freewheels apart and packed the bearings and pawls with grease. Tedious, but lasts much longer than oil. I used to read warnings that that would cause pawls to fail to grip in cold weather, when the grease becomes too thick. However, I've never experienced that hypothetical trouble, using synthetic bearing grease.

I do this with some higher end freehubs like DT. I do favor lighter greases, though. No issues with the DT Swiss grease and with Slick Honey. Never tried NLGI 2.

Phil Wood or Zip Spout oil, ATF even if you can't take it apart. If you can take it apart a thin grease can also be used.

Originally Posted by CR94
I've never experienced that hypothetical trouble, using synthetic bearing grease.

It's not hypothetical at all to those who ride in extreme cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back