Question for pour over coffee users.

I am thinking about going to a pour over brew for my daily coffee. I drink about 22-24 ounces a day. Currently I brew in a one liter press pot and fill a 8oz cup and a 10oz travel mug. Another 4oz is for refilling the first cup.

I'd still like to do this in one batch. I have been looking at the Hario drippers in the 02 and 03 sizes. The 03 seems like the one I should get along with the larger server.

Is there anyone here that does pour over in large batches like this versus one cup at a time?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you using a French Press?

My personal preference is a quality Mr. Coffee type machine, then let the coffee sit on the hot burner (warmer) for an hour. This seems to develop the flavors I like AND it gets hotter!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I am thinking about going to a pour over brew for my daily coffee. I drink about 22-24 ounces a day. Currently I brew in a one liter press pot and fill a 8oz cup and a 10oz travel mug. Another 4oz is for refilling the first cup.

I'd still like to do this in one batch. I have been looking at the Hario drippers in the 02 and 03 sizes. The 03 seems like the one I should get along with the larger server.

Is there anyone here that does pour over in large batches like this versus one cup at a time?

I don't own nor brew this way however, I have had coffee brewed this way and I find the coffee flavor, robustness & aroma to be very satisfying.

I have a neighbor who doesn't drink the amount of coffee that I do however, when he does have coffee at home this is how he prefers it.

I say, go for it!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Yes I'm currently using a french press. It's a stainless steel one I got some years back. It is made in China so I wonder about lead and such.

A pour over would be a logical move for us as I am the only one that drinks coffee. The wife drinks tea and we have a electric kettle. A coffee machine would take up more space.

Other than finding the correct paper filter, I would say that is the way to go.

I like low efficiency "coarse" bleached filters.

They drip faster, and they let more micro particles and thus flavour through.

Coffee flavour is sensitive to high heat - so water should NOT be boiling hot, but off the boil for a couple mins. down to 90C or therabouts before being poured over.

Do you roast and grind your own coffee?

I had fresh roasted beans - like people drank coffee over 100 years ago - and its was revelatory experience.

I just have your typical 12 cup coffee brewer(Sunbeam) and I brew one pot daily. Folks always compliment & comment asking me what brand I use because the say that my coffee is robust & full of flaver. I just brew my coffee stronger than most folks. Instead of using the coffee scooper, I use a small garden shovel ... JK
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Other than finding the correct paper filter, I would say that is the way to go.

I like low efficiency "coarse" bleached filters.

They drip faster, and they let more micro particles and thus flavour through.

Coffee flavour is sensitive to high heat - so water should NOT be boiling hot, but off the boil for a couple mins. down to 90C or therabouts before being poured over.

Do you roast and grind your own coffee?

I had fresh roasted beans - like people drank coffee over 100 years ago - and its was revelatory experience.

I wait about two minutes off the boil before pouring the water into the press pot.

I don't roast but I do buy whole bean and grind myself. I have been doing that for well over thirty years now, long before it became the in thing.

We use a Melita pour over with #4 paper cones for one or two cups at a time. Our water pot hold 190F for an hour.

https://shoponline.melitta.com/collections/pour-over%E2%84%A2/products/signature-series-1-cup-pour-over-coffeemaker-tritan%E2%84%A2-clear

Heh heh. Now we're talking important stuff, not just arguing about oil. No dogs in this fight, current brew is 99.7% caffeine free.
grin2.gif

Maybe A little secret to DD coffee flavour ?

AFAIK it has the taste of German de-acidified (not de-caffinated) coffee

Dalmayr, Prodomo - München

Often available at TJ MAXx !

Thats where I found it and tried it in the work commercial - coffee wasting - BUNN drip

Growing up, my dad always drank instant. I drank instant up until my mid 30s when my girlfriend came home and surprised me with a Keurig machine. I always bought French Roast Taster's Choice.

If you use reusable filter cups, I will allow you to use the Keurig.

Otherwise, they should be banned for being terribly wastful.

Man, these new gen X and Y largely don't care about the environment a bit.

Selfish, spoiled, wasteful lazy brats.

Maddening and Saddening

Last edited:
A Hario would work as would a large Melitta 10 cup unit. I like the unbleached Melitta filters personally.

I use a SAECO that the grinds the beans per cup and has no consumable to pitch afterwards except grounds.
Every cup is the first cup and you get it within 60 seconds of using the button.

I hate the taste of keurig and nespresso - its swill. The re-usable keurig isnt too bad at least you can get good coffee from it - but its a messy multi step endeavor.

I dont think the waste mentality is generational I think it's a byproduct of how one is raised and typical of urban "convenience culture."

As an Older Gen X (66) thats been cleaning up boomer disasters my whole life thats hilarious statement though.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave
A Hario would work as would a large Melitta 10 cup unit. I like the unbleached Melitta filters personally.

I use a SAECO that the grinds the beans per cup and has no consumable to pitch afterwards except grounds.
Every cup is the first cup and you get it within 60 seconds of using the button.

I hate the taste of keurig and nespresso - its swill. The re-usable keurig isnt too bad at least you can get good coffee from it - but its a messy multi step endeavor.

I dont think the waste mentality is generational I think it's a byproduct of how one is raised and typical of urban "convenience culture."

As an Older Gen X (66) thats been cleaning up boomer disasters my whole life thats hilarious statement though.

UD

I guess that is what is called flexible generationality. That might be a new word or phrase. Seems like everything else is becoming flexible. I'm slightly younger than you but I am a boomer.

Yes there is a regimen that starts with proper grinding and good technique. I'm about halfway there on most parts. I could use a better grinder and my electric kettle is not a gooseneck but I have to start from somewhere.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If you use reusable filter cups, I will allow you to use the Keurig.

Otherwise, they should be banned for being terribly wastful.

Man, these new gen X and Y largely don't care about the environment a bit.

Selfish, spoiled, wasteful lazy brats.

Maddening and Saddening

You forgot something-GET OFF MY LAWN!
I agree on the K cups-besides being ridiculously expensive, coffee doesn't seem as good. Compared to the lead (from gasoline, paint, etc.) disaster, K cups are nothing.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I guess that is what is called flexible generationality. That might be a new word or phrase. Seems like everything else is becoming flexible. I'm slightly younger than you but I am a boomer.

A pretty good one as well. Patent Pending â„¢ - PimTac

The way I wrote that wasn't super clear - to clarify I was born in 66 and am 53.
I think Gen X was from 65- 73.?

The grinder part is important. I definitely prefer a burr, but Ive had great cups from a blade.

Takes more than it seems to put together a good cup of Joe.

UD

Originally Posted by ripcord
If you think about it, K-cup coffee is vending machine coffee.

The thing I don't like about k-cups is that they are a non recyclable environmental disaster.
All my grounds and paper filters go into the compost or straight out into the side yard.

Back