Do you practice a vegan-keto diet?

Before I start on a keto type diet, I want to try and start correctly. I'm curious if any of you practice a, what I call, a "vegan-keto" diet? I don't eat a lot of meats to begin with, so for me to give up meat would be pretty easy. I'm guessing that those of you who are already vegans and further that by consuming a keto diet are pretty darn healthy?

If you are a "vegan-keto" fan, can you point me toward a website, books, etc., that have some healthy recipe examples?

I welcome any advice you have along this topic.

Thank you,
Ed

I love Keto but far from Vegan. I take Keto Chow shakes to work. They use a milk based protein and you add your own fat, oil or cream or whatever. Most flavors are really good and they load it down with all the nutrients you need.

Vegan and Keto doesn't leave much, i mean you eat avocados non stop.

I'm sort of thinking that most vegan diets, depending on the specific type of "vegan", are probably already "keto"...or pretty darn close?

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I'm sort of thinking that most vegan diets, depending on the specific type of "vegan", are probably already "keto"...or pretty darn close?

smile.gif

Ed

Nope...many fruits and veggies have tons of sugars. Sugars are not allowed on Keto. Combining the two is really limiting your pallet...IMHO.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Nope...many fruits and veggies have tons of sugars. Sugars are not allowed on Keto. Combining the two is really limiting your pallet...IMHO.

Well, O.K. But since you should eat fruits and veggies for good health, how do I know which ones are "keto approved"?

Ed

Keto is extreme low carbs..relying on body fat and ketones for energy . Most call for max 5-10% of your caloric intake in carbs ..which is minimal. When I need to lose weight I stay under 50 grams of carbs per day..which is not Keto but works extremely well for me. Even at that number of carbs it takes a week or so for your body to adjust. The one time I went 15 grams carbs..I am sure I was in Ketosis..it took me 10 days for my body to adjust. I am sure you will be happy with a under 50 gram carb diet. Perfect balance for me

List of low carbs but the amount you can use is MINIMAL
Asparagus
Artichokes
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sweet potato
Zucchini
Brussels sprouts
Leafy greens like spinach and kale
Nuts (almonds, macadamias, Brazil nuts and walnuts)
Raspberries and blackberries
Chia and flax seeds

In case you didn't know, a keto diet has a very specific goal. It puts your body into a mode where it gets its energy from fats instead of carbohydrates.
That is called being in ketosis.

Once your body makes that switch, a supply of carbs will pop your body out of ketosis and it will want it's energy from carbs again.
To answer your question of how you know which fruits and veggies are keto approved, the answer is the ones with low carbs.
most fruit is out. potatoes, pasta etc are out.

a quick google on "What can I eat on keto kiet" yields this quick overview. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-foods#section11

the reason people are suggesting combining Keto and Vegan would be tough is the source of fats. Not many veggies are high in fats (avocados are) and if you're vegan, that eliminates dairy and meats.

I'm vegan, not keto. I would think putting your body into ketosis would be quite unhealthy unless the issue you are trying to fix is worse than that.

I'm a 2nd hand vegan. Cow eats greens, I eat the cow.

On a serious note, I tried the keto diet for a few months, but I stopped due a loss of energy and mood. It did the same to my mother though it lead to her finding out she had Crohn's disease.

Last edited:
I eat a plant based way of eating. I drink only Almond milk unsweeten, do no dairy cow products at all,,no meats at all, lots of veggies and veggie burgers from Costco( DR Mcgreger veggie burgers, lots of potatoes and rice and black beans or pintos. Lost 30 lbs ...this way of eating will usually stop Type 2 diabetes. I took a course Plant BAsed Eating from a hospital here in Chattanooga...Im 74 and feel great....got off 25 mgs of blood pressure meds to boot...watch Forks over Knives on Netflix when you can..

Read this book...……......How not to Die, by Michael Greger, MD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
I eat a plant based way of eating. I drink only Almond milk unsweeten, do no dairy cow products at all,,no meats at all, lots of veggies and veggie burgers from Costco( DR Mcgreger veggie burgers, lots of potatoes and rice and black beans or pintos. Lost 30 lbs ...this way of eating will usually stop Type 2 diabetes. I took a course Plant BAsed Eating from a hospital here in Chattanooga...Im 74 and feel great....got off 25 mgs of blood pressure meds to boot...watch Forks over Knives on Netflix when you can..

Read this book...……......How not to Die, by Michael Greger, MD

Wow...that's tremendous!

I'll check out your recommendations...thank you.

Ed

There is no actual "keto diet"... there's just eating/drinking decisions you make that cause your body to go into ketosis. Ketosis occurs when your glycogen stores are depleted enough that your body undergoes lipolysis and turns your fat stores into usable energy.

Everyone's body is capable of ketosis because it's a biological survival mode, but most people who have lived on carbs for most of their lives will find it an undesirable state. If you are a hard thinking type (computer analyst, accounting ,etc) then you'll most likely notice that the brain tends to work incredibly well when you feed it dietary sugar, and it works at half or a quarter efficiency when it runs on ketone bodies.

On top of that, most people are not used to consuming a high fat diet and fall into the high protein trap which means gluconeogenesis becomes a risk.

Mixing veganism into this means you're going to be eating a LOT of avocadoes, nuts, and oils if you're going to be vegan and keto strict. It becomes expensive and an absolute ruiner for your social life.

Adopting one or both of these diets does not automatically make you healthier, and in fact you could end up rebounding very hard back to processed foods and animal products if you do not thoroughly research what you're getting into.

Watch the documentary The Game Changers

"the more meat men eat, the quicker they lose their libido. As stated in the film, a plant-based diet can increase testosterone levels by 20 percent in as soon as 10 days."

I have done Keto and then done the whole foods plant based... as this film discusses... I will never do Keto again.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

"the more meat men eat, the quicker they lose their libido. As stated in the film, a plant-based diet can increase testosterone levels by 20 percent in as soon as 10 days."

I have done Keto and then done the whole foods plant based... as this film discusses... I will never do Keto again.

Thank you.

Where do I find "The Game Changers"?

What do you mean, "whole foods plant based"?

Ed

My wife and I are Jewish and eat a Mediterranean diet. She is a type 1 diabetic and a health Nazi. She at least lets me eat red meat once a week and we go out for ice cream once a week in the summer.
I'm just under 6'3" and weigh 168. She is 5'8.5" and weighs 121. Never weighed over 170 in my life, but I feel better now than when I was single, living alone and eating fast food all the time.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

That "documentary" was heavily debunked but you do what you do.

I have been a vegetarian for about 15 years and at 6' 4" use to weigh 227 Lbs. A year ago my doctor told me that I was pre-diabetic, my A1c was 5.7 several times in the past but only once in a while and never above 5.7 now it was 5.7 two times in a row and that is considered the minimum threshold for pre-diabetic. My dad was type 2 diabetic in his later years, and so was his dad, and it caused health problems for both of them. So I decided to read books about pre-diabetis and got several out at the local library and read each one. There was one book that stood out as the best. It is "The prediabetes diet plan how to reverse prediabetes and prevent diabetes through healthy eating and exercise" by Hillary Wright

That book explains that when you are pre-diabetic your pancreas is being overwhelmed because the cells in your body are not processing insulin efficiently enough to use the insulin properly to convert the sugars in your blood into the sugars that your cells can use as food. The result is your pancreas sees excess amount of sugar in your blood and produces even more insulin. If this is allowed to go on long enough the overworking of your pancreas damages it and it looses the ability to produce insulin and then you are a diabetic. Once this happens it is not reversible. But if it has not progressed to that stage you can prevent it by limiting the amount of carbohydrates you consume. The book basically says to limit carbs to 60 or less for your three meals breakfast, lunch, and supper, and to less than 30 for two snacks. It goes on to say that if you are a tall person who is big that limiting the meals to 75 carbs or less in enough.

I took the threat of becoming a diabetic seriously, and began limiting carbs to 60 or less per meal, and 30 or less per snack. And soon after doing this discovered that I was loosing weight. I always try to walk for exercise so I already had the exercise part of the book taken care of. It took about 6 months and I went from 227 Lbs to 177 Lbs. My A1c went from 5.7 to 5.5 that does not sound like a lot but 5.5 is in the good range. It was just recently checked again and now it is 5.4 I have put on 3 pounds with the limits of not being able to go in stores to purchase all the foods I normally would eat, due to C-19 causing me to only use drive-by pick-up service and the selection of items limited what the stores post online. But even at 180 Lbs and 6' 4" I am still a healthy weight for my size and my BMI is well below 25 which is another thing the book tells you to achieve to prevent diabetes.

One of the most important things I found in any kind of healthy eating is to get a scale that can measure food weight in grams and look at the labels of each food and figure out how many carbs the weight of that food you are eating adds up to.

Egg white is a zero carb food. I have 100 grams of egg white cooked up almost every morning with other items and keep the carb total for breakfast to less than 60.

Lunch is a hard-boiled egg and other items all keeping the carb total to less than 30, though according to the book I could go higher.

A low carb mid day snack such as an apple, or kind bar, or RXbar.

A supper of less than 60 carbs. Usually 1/2 a can of Amy's black bean chili is part of that meal. While Amy's is more expensive, at only using 1/2 a can per meal is is not that expensive and it taste great and is pre-cooked. I measure out 200 grams per 1/2 can use, and microwave it in a bowl with a dish over it so it does not splatter.

And a late day snack of less than 30 carbs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above limits will cause you to loose weight.

One thing I did was talk my doctor into writing a perscription for the Freestyle Libre continuous blood glucose monitor and I saw the rise and fall of my blood sugar level after eating, and how eating too many carbs causes it to rise too fast and too high.

One of the things the book talked about is that some foods release their sugars fast, and some release them slow. You want to eat the ones that release them slow, and limit the amount of the ones that release them fast. I could see these differences with different foods with the Freestyle Libre. I had to pay for the reader and sensor myself and only bought one sensor which worked for 2 weeks. But during those 2 weeks I learned the importance of spacing what you eat apart by at least 2 hours so your body has time to digest the sugar and keeps the peaks low, instead of eating too much carbs too close together and having your blood sugar peak too high.

Another thing the book talked about is the importance of eating foods with fiber, and if the food has more than a certain amount of fiber in it you can subtract half the amount of fiber from the carbs because the fiber will stop that amount of carbs from being absorbed into your system.

Now after loosing the weight, I sometimes slightly exceed the 60 or 30 carb limits, but even when I do, I do not exceed that by much. And my A1c has still improved.

The above is my experience and what works for me. The book I recommended is the best one out of several that I read.

Good luck in finding what works for you.

Last edited:
When you get a scale that measures to the gram, try to get one that is powered by AA batteries, or one that plugs into the wall. You will be using the scale a lot, like every item for every meal. And if it is powered by the small flat watch size batteries they will not last long, and they cost too much.

My scale was powered by the small batteries. It took 2 of them and they were 3 Volts each which adds up to 6 Volts. I added a 4 cell AA battery holder from RadioShack to the scale and the batteries no longer go bad fast.

If you drink any liquid besides water which is 0 carbs, calculate the number of ounces of that liquid by weighing it. For example, I still drink regular cherry Pepsi, but only 6 ounces or less for a meal. 6 ounces of water weighs 177 grams and I figure that is close enough to an accurate way to measure out the cherry Pepsi when I drink it. You can look on the bottle of Pepsi at how many carbs are in it, and it will list it for 12 ounces. So I divide by 2 to get how many carbs are in 177 gram weight of it.

Last edited:
I've been doing Keto for about 6 months now. Not vegan keto, but regular keto. I have never felt better. Ever. However, that "keto flu" is no joke. And honestly, the first 30 days were a bit rough, some days I felt fine and other days, not so much. But after that, pretty much every health problem/issue I had went away. Old injuries that sorta lingered over the years have gone away.

As for vitamins/supplements, C8 MCT oil or a combo C8/C10 MCT oil and electrolytes helps quite a bit. The C8 MCT oil is worth the cost (to me it is). The 'plain' MCT oil where it's a combo of C8/C10/C12 didn't do much for me. Also, I've always had a good vitamin/mineral regimen, but when I went keto, things really changed. I don't sleep as long anymore, but I feel extremely rested in the morning when I wake up. I don't drag in the morning when i wake up anymore. You know how you do physical work out in the yard and you feel sore for the next day or two? Or maybe three? Since starting keto, that no longer happens. The next day, I feel as if I didn't do any sort of work. I sweat a lot less (and I mean a LOT less) and I have tons of endurance. There are other health/physical improvements I could mention that I've experienced, but I don't think anyone would seriously believe it. Lastly, my mental clarity is off the charts. I feel razor sharp every day...........unless I eat "something that isn't clean" and then I feel brain fog until it gets out of my system.

As for advice, I would say that if you have been eating an extremely high carb diet, you probably may not want to go cold turkey with cutting the carbs. If you do decide to go cold turkey like I did, make sure you have electrolytes and a good, quality MCT oil. Also, make sure your vitamin/mineral regimen is good. Sleep will be beneficial while your body adjusts. Digestive enzymes to keep you regular during the transition.

Someone above mentioned a digital food scale. That is a must in my opinion. That way if you eat nuts or something that has carbs, you can measure it out in grams so that you don't go too high with your carbs. I've been kicking around the idea of doing a vegan keto regimen for 30 days or so as a change of pace, but I'm not there yet.

Good luck on your journey if you decide to take the jump!

Back