Spiral ham

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just tried some spiral ham for the first time and I have to say it was fantastic! My sister made it for early Christmas brunch it was a cooks brand that you put that sugar coating on after it has cooked for a few hrs then it caramels over. Great flavor I really loved it. Prob make great leftovers as well.

For years a sister and a friend of mine have been offered either a turkey or a spiral cut ham from their respective companies.

They both ALWAYS selected the ham. They serve easily and do make great leftovers.

Either one is good. It's nifty that you just got turned onto them. Enjoy.

Definitely prefer glazed spiral ham over turkey.

H-E-B in Texas gives away free turkeys if you buy a spiral ham. (So I usually get both)

Have a Honey baked ham for our family Christmas dinner. Will use the bone for a pot of pinto beans later.

waiting for bb hero to chime in...he's Pmed me his spiral ham recipe, and it sounds delicious

I have a spiral ham, its already cooked. It includes a pack of glaze that i'm not sure if i want to use. I'm sure its probably high fructose.

Anyone have a good glaze recipe?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have a spiral ham, its already cooked. It includes a pack of glaze that i'm not sure if i want to use. I'm sure its probably high fructose. Anyone have a good glaze recipe?

Gel Paste and powder? Or just a bag of sugar powder? You can use that and forget the gel stuff.

The wife and I love spiral cut ham. Had one for Thanksgiving along with a small turkey and got one for tomorrow. I also agree, use the bone and leftovers to make split pea soup. Make a big batch and freeze it. There is nothing like it.

If you entertain, the spiral ham is a huge timesaver for serving guests.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have a spiral ham, its already cooked. It includes a pack of glaze that i'm not sure if i want to use. I'm sure its probably high fructose. Anyone have a good glaze recipe?

Gel Paste and powder? Or just a bag of sugar powder? You can use that and forget the gel stuff.

Make your own with pineapple juice, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Add or use honey instead of the brown sugar to thicken.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
waiting for bb hero to chime in...he's Pmed me his spiral ham recipe, and it sounds delicious

If bbhero does chime in I hope he might share that recipe to some more of us.
wink.gif

H-E-B in Texas gives away free turkeys if you buy a spiral ham. (So I usually get both)

I do the same. The turkey for Thanksgiving and the ham for Christmas.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Have a Honey baked ham for our family Christmas dinner. Will use the bone for a pot of pinto beans later.

Sentiment after my own heart. Read this and thought these are my kind of people; then I realized you were from NC as well. Did this with the bone in our Thanksgiving spiral ham.

Originally Posted By: Bud

I do the same. The turkey for Thanksgiving and the ham for Christmas.

YEp, Exactly what I did for this year!
grin.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Spiral hams are a staple around here; get a good meal plus leftovers plus the bone winds up in a pot of beans.
Turkey is a staple too, for the same reasons. After all the meat is gone off the turkey, the carcass goes into a pot and boiled to make turkey soup. Yummy.

[/quote]
Originally Posted By: sopususer
Originally Posted By: gman2304

Sentiment after my own heart. Read this and thought these are my kind of people; then I realized you were from NC as well. Did this with the bone in our Thanksgiving spiral ham.

Perfect use of the ham bone! Just what I do as well!

Last edited:
We have been ordering a spiral party ham for the last 20 years for our family reunion from Harrington's in Richmond Vt.Good people to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Save the left over bone and some ham bits and make lentil or green split pea soup with it - awesome.

No! Half whole and half split YELLOW peas make for much better soup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back