Lunch meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you prefer? Roast beef, Turkey, Ham etc.. Flavor like Buffalo Chicken, Brand specific or don't care?

I love a good roast beef thin sliced prefer an Italian flavor but it's usually way to expensive. A good black Forrest ham is fantastic. I had a BBQ Chicken Brest on sale last week that was just killer! Think it was Sara Lee. I'm not brand specific although I find Boarshead brand makes great cold cuts but they can be pricey.

I like the Kretschmar deli meats since at least one of their varieties seems to go on sale weekly. Seems just as good as Boars Head but less expensive when on sale. Usually it goes on sale for $5.99/lb. Sometimes as low as $3.99 for some Sweet or Maple Ham. Also their Turkey breast is excellent. Plus high end stores carry it.

Sliced thin with lots of free samples at the deli counter except when someone is blocking access to samples by just standing there.

Montreal Smoked Meat and I like making it with a good plain yellow mustard. MMMMMMM
20.gif

vka-meat-280601-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
What do you prefer? Roast beef, Turkey, Ham etc.. Flavor like Buffalo Chicken, Brand specific or don't care?

I love a good roast beef thin sliced prefer an Italian flavor but it's usually way to expensive. A good black Forrest ham is fantastic. I had a BBQ Chicken Brest on sale last week that was just killer! Think it was Sara Lee. I'm not brand specific although I find Boarshead brand makes great cold cuts but they can be pricey.

Just say no. There is nothing in the deli area that is good for you.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Esp the pre-sliced stuff that has a toxic preservative in it. Only fresh sliced and lower sodium turkey or ham.

Also say no to Diet Pepsi.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Donald

Esp the pre-sliced stuff that has a toxic preservative in it. Only fresh sliced and lower sodium turkey or ham.

Also say no to Diet Pepsi.
smile.gif

Yea the sodium content is through the roof on pre-packaged meats (Oscar-Meyer, Hillshire Farms, etc.). Pretty sure what you get sliced at the deli in your favorite grocery store is the same way. I will cave and get some Virginia ham and smoked turkey from the deli for a club sandwich on potato bread from time to time.

i used to like Rosemary ham. Beef Bologna and NewYork style soft cheese together. I read too much bad stuff about deli meat and have since tried to stop eating sandwiches. wheat is a real killer so i have layed off the bread.

Applegate farms has an excellent line of no preservatives low sodium lunch meats. It's expensive but the only ones I eat. The preservatives they use in lunch meats and other similar things like pre sliced pepperoni are absolutely terrible for you.

Ham, or salami first( try to keep a half pound of each in the fridge)
Then corned beef, pastrami,etc.

Poultry isn't "lunch meat" to me, and keep vegetation out of the meat.( No olive loaf or pimento loaf, yuck)

I've gotten to the point that I detest the flavor and texture of lunchmeat. I have to actually have fresh cut up chicken,beef,roast,etc. It seems like all lunchmeat (even the Boar's Head I used to buy) has an artificial flavor and texture,and always has that weird "wang" aftertaste when you swallow it. I always go to the local bbq joint and buy smoked meats to make sandwiches with. One of my favorites is Rudy's smoked chicken. I buy the half chickens and make sandwiches with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back