Frying Pans for induction cooktop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved house, from my great gas stove to a place with an induction electric.

Honestly, I'm very happy with the induction cooking, it's got more turndown than the gas, resulting in better simmering.

But all my good cast iron frying pans (plain cast and enamelled) are woeful, having a massively hot central scorching area, and a barely tepid outer ring...

So I'm in the market for something, just don't know what.

Whose an induction cooking expert ?

That's odd, I find my cast iron works fine on my induction range???!!! It put them on the biggest "pad" however
21.gif

There's a really nice German stone lined pan I bought my sister as one of her Christmas gifts a couple of years back that she absolutely loves, and it works properly with induction from what the site said. If you are interested, I can look it up?

OVERKILL,
would appreciate that.

Rand, no real budget...I'm a bit sad about going from my monster stove, but pleasantly surprised at the performance of the new one..show me what you think, and I'll work out the finances.

Have one of your machinists cut you a disk a bit larger than your biggest skillet, out of 6mm steel. Also be sure all of your skillet bottoms are dead flat. Cast iron tends to warp over time, especially if over heated or quenched too fast.

For a great skillet, get yourself a 12" SS All-Clad. Buy when on sale. For non-stick, look at the Oxo....never mind. It's aluminum. Won't work with induction.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Also be sure all of your skillet bottoms are dead flat. Cast iron tends to warp over time, especially if over heated or quenched too fast.

Valve grinding paste and a bit of float glass? Should keep you occupied for a while.

Ducked,
thanks for the input...I'll get onto that shortly after I finish sharpening the 150+ dull drill bits that I inherited from my Dad.
eek.gif

Valve grinding paste and a bit of float glass? Should keep you occupied for a while

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Ducked,
thanks for the input...I'll get onto that shortly after I finish sharpening the 150+ dull drill bits that I inherited from my Dad.
eek.gif

digging out of Chateau Dif with a spoon My brother showed me how to sharpen a bit on a wheel. Takes just a few secs. 150+? I'm not gonna count them but I have a few fruit cake tins full and 2 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths indexes
grin2.gif

Bought a $25 "forged" Al pan with stone coat lining while down the street...has a magnetic steel perforated plate pressed into the base during the forging process.

I brought a pan full of water to the boil, and heat appears very even.

It's not the final solution, but now I know what works...Son can cook his egg bread (like french taost, but no additives).

OVERKILL,
would appreciate that.

Rand, no real budget...I'm a bit sad about going from my monster stove, but pleasantly surprised at the performance of the new one..show me what you think, and I'll work out the finances.

Ozeri is the brand, though it seems you've found something similar locally.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Also be sure all of your skillet bottoms are dead flat. Cast iron tends to warp over time, especially if over heated or quenched too fast.
Valve grinding paste and a bit of float glass? Should keep you occupied for a while.

No.
Belt sander.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Looking at them they've got the same idea of steel plate pressed into the bottom.

Cooked T-Bones last night, and wife cooked bacon and eggs this morning...really good thing that stone lining.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Looking at them they've got the same idea of steel plate pressed into the bottom.

Cooked T-Bones last night, and wife cooked bacon and eggs this morning...really good thing that stone lining.

Yeah, as I said, my sister absolutely loves it so I'm thinking of getting a few myself. How non-stick is the stone?

eggs don't stick at all...made a garlic red wine sauce for the steak last night, and it "slid" out of the pan clean...really good.

Decided to try one of the gimmicks seen on the home shopping network, and put some aged grated tasty cheddar in the pan an melt it down.

Non stick...and having done that, it's one of the tastiest little morsels of cheese I've had.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Valve grinding paste and a bit of float glass? Should keep you occupied for a while

Ducked,
eek.gif

digging out of Chateau Dif with a spoon My brother showed me how to sharpen a bit on a wheel. Takes just a few secs. 150+? I'm not gonna count them but I have a few fruit cake tins full and 2 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths indexes
grin2.gif

Was there last year. Smaller than I imagined, and quite pleasant.

Re sharpening drill bits, I used to have a jig gadget that ran on off-centred axles to put a curved profile on the grind. Took all the skill out of it, which is a good thing if you're me.

Ducked,
eek.gif

Child labour an option?

When I started in a new workshop, the first thing I'd do when I had some free time was go to the drill stand and sharpen every drill there. People who can't sharpen a drill make a real mess of them. I can't do small drills anymore, even with reading glasses I can't see what I'm doing.

I've been house sitting my daughter's place for the last week, they have an induction cooktop, they have special stuff to use on it...cast iron does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back