QUINOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father got me into making some delicious and healthy dishes with this great food.

What else do we know about this aside that it's healthy for you?

Thanks folks
smile.gif

Why did you capitalize all of the letters in the thread title? Why is the thread title only one word? Why don't you put a little more effort into labeling the threads that you make? This isn't the first time.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Why did you capitalize all of the letters in the thread title? Why is the thread title only one word? Why don't you put a little more effort into labeling the threads that you make? This isn't the first time.

Don't know and frankly I don't care
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Does anyone like quinoa and why is it good for you. Took care of it for you.
cheers3.gif

I like this stuff and it's very trendy now as an "ancient grain".
The first time I ordered it at a Panera, the dorky little clerk tried to shame me by repeating my order very loudly as keen-wa after I pronounced it kee-no-uh. I rolled my eyes and looked over at my daughter and she immediately told the clerk the correct Spanish pronunciation is kee-no-uh...I think he was trying to impress her (she is a willowy blonde) and it seemed like the cat got his tongue at that point.

We get this stuff from Costco. You just microwave it right in the pouch for 90 seconds. Makes a great side dish that goes with just about anything.

I like quinoa but its overpriced. I cant stand couscous. Try to find barley and other less known grains, cheaper and as nutritious if not moreso.

Originally Posted By: Bud

Does anyone like quinoa and why is it good for you. Took care of it for you.
cheers3.gif

Thank You sir
smile.gif

Looks like we may have another Pop_Rivit here. J/k L_Sludger
smile.gif

It's actually not a grain....but a seed. It's plant-based, gluten-free, and one of the few that is a complete protein with all the essential amino acids. Pretty high in protein, vitamins and minerals. Essentially a complete food all by itself.

Quinoa

I dumped "nutritionally challenged" boxed pasta years ago and replaced it with quinoa. Tomato sauce and hard romano/parmesan cheese becomes an Italian dinner. Getting rid of dead/processed grains, breads and cereals is a healthy idea. Quinoa helps to fill those calorie gaps though in a more healthful way. I often make a salad with quinoa and beans, an egg, and all the veggies you can toss in. Sometimes I'll heat the quinoa and beans, add garlic and onions, tomato sauce, avocado, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and have a nice creamy and spicy dish. We'll make up enough quinoa for a week and add to meals or make it a meal. Quinoa and beans is a good meat free meal to give your gut a break. My local supermarket sells it for $3.19/lb for organic. Even if more expensive than pasta it's a "real" food that won't contribute to diabetes and heart disease like "dead" pastas do. It's not easy to find a meatless meal that is packed with nutrition, proper protein, etc....and actually good for you.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
It's actually not a grain....but a seed. It's plant-based, gluten-free, and one of the few that is a complete protein with all the essential amino acids. Pretty high in protein, vitamins and minerals. Essentially a complete food all by itself.

Quinoa

I dumped "nutritionally challenged" boxed pasta years ago and replaced it with quinoa. Tomato sauce and hard romano/parmesan cheese becomes an Italian dinner. Getting rid of dead/processed grains, breads and cereals is a healthy idea. Quinoa helps to fill those calorie gaps though in a more healthful way. I often make a salad with quinoa and beans, an egg, and all the veggies you can toss in. Sometimes I'll heat the quinoa and beans, add garlic and onions, tomato sauce, avocado, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and have a nice creamy and spicy dish. We'll make up enough quinoa for a week and add to meals or make it a meal. Quinoa and beans is a good meat free meal to give your gut a break. My local supermarket sells it for $3.19/lb for organic. Even if more expensive than pasta it's a "real" food that won't contribute to diabetes and heart disease like "dead" pastas do.

Thank You for that. Those ideas I will certainly try also
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I never heard of the stuff until car51 started this thread. Where do they keep it in the store ?

In my supermarket it's with the other grains, nuts, seeds in vertical bins. The health food stores have it the same way. The big box stores will often sell it in 2 lb bags for $8-$10 each. You could order it on line too. Not a fan of paying $5/lb.....but as long as my local store is around $3/lb, I'm in.

Once you add tomato sauce and apple cider vinegar and EVOO + garlic/onions for a kick, it tastes darn good, and feels no different to me than chewing soft spaghetti. I find that apple cider vinegar helps to jack up the taste on so many otherwise bland foods. I add it to salads, tomato sauce, scrambled eggs, taco's, soups, etc. A few tablespoons tossed in with anything that is a bit too low on protein brings it right up. Most canned soups are pretty lousy on the nutrition scale. Toss in extra quinoa and beans, garlic and onions, ACV, maybe a couple broccoli stalks, and now you're talking. Quinoa doesn't look all that much different than round white rice....but the nutrition differences are night and day.

I use it with a stuffing mix of white rice and wild rice. Have a couple family members and friends that are vegetarians and couple others that are gluten intolerant. Picked up a box of cookie mix with it in it that I will have to try.

When my wife was eating tofu and quinoa 10-15 years ago, I used to chuckle...as I pounded down my Big Macs and Subway grinders. Now she pounds down the burgers and fried chicken while I have the quinoa, beans, salads, etc. It's easy to move in either direction over time. Taking baby steps and before you know it, you're in a good place or a bad place.

All I know is that it is a real food, which spoils in just a few hours if left out of the fridge. Kind of like everything else when I was growing up. And as a bonus, tastes good, and absorbs flavors well into itself.

it's good stuff.
my only complaint is about it's... the effect it's "sudden" market share has had on the indigenous populations where it's grown.

Quinoa can only grow above certain altitudes. there is only so much tillable land at these altitudes, and the indigenous peoples in these areas, who have survived on quinoa for centuries, suddenly can't afford not to sell their crops.
the problem with that is, without their traditional dietary staples, they have started eating cheap, imported, "western" commercialized food stuffs, and with the more western diets, they have seen a rapid increase in obeseity, High blood pressure, Diabetes, etc. just like us.

until we can find a more equitable way to grow the stuff(warehouses/Giant Greenhouses with lower internal pressures to mimic higher altitudes???)... i feel too guilty to buy the stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back