Addititive to Mirror Valvoline Premium Blue Restore

VPBR is expensive stuff. It's also hard to get. However, we know what's in it.

Is there anyone making an oil additive to recreate VPBR with cheaper oils?

No - because the biggest additive is the very expensive basestock.

50% Group V Ester + 30% PAO (from memory)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
If there was it'd cost about the same by the time you mix it with an oil with comparable base stocks ie. Redline and Amsoil SS.

They have the same base stocks?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by blufeb95
If there was it'd cost about the same by the time you mix it with an oil with comparable base stocks ie. Redline and Amsoil SS.

They have the same base stocks?

Isn't Amsoil signature mostly PAO, and redline is generally some of the highest ester oil you can find, maybe some racing oils, I guess my underlying point is that the Valvoline Restore is a fully formulated product that has the specific blend of detergents and oils that are good for unsticking rings and cleaning up, if you try to replicate it you're just gonna spend more money and time into doing it, than it costs to buy the properly formulated product.

Last edited:
Esters are very good at cleaning, and Redline has a lot of Ester content. Ask anybody who has been inside an engine that used Redline oil - those Esters keep things looking fresh & new.

Unfortuantely it costs about the same as VPBR. If your rings need un-sticking why not do a piston soak with ChemDip? If the internals are full of sludge then remove what you can remove by hand, and do short changes on something cheap like supertech.

You have to decide how long it will take to clean by hand and how much your time is worth, compared to the cost of a bottle of expensive oil.

Just to be devils advocate..i think it was designed to clean carbon from rings of the Cummins ISX but was a bandaid. Cummins figured out antipolishing rings were a better solution. Not sure if VPBR will be available in the future.

OTOH Kreen.

quote:
Guaranteed to improve your engines performance. When added to either the gas or oil of your engine, Kreen dissolves the carbon deposit
buildups and varnishing to Improve Compression · Increase Gas Mileage Reduce Downtime · Restore Power By thoroughly cleaning the rings, valve, and fuel injectors - Kreen gives new life back in any gas or diesel engine.

VPBR- Cleans Rings
Kreen- Cleans Rings

Originally Posted by pollymath
VPBR is expensive stuff. It's also hard to get. However, we know what's in it.

Is there anyone making an oil additive to recreate VPBR with cheaper oils?

Just how bad do you think your ring problem is? Sometimes no amount of mechanic in a can (or bottle) can unstick rings to get em to stand proud or worse yet, fix broken rings. (-duh)

You could try several short, 3k mile'ish, drain intervals using a good dino/HDEO with Rislone. Dino's tend to have better solvency due to their higher levels of aromatics. Rislone has an ester (polyol ester IIRC) in it that slowly dissolves sludge. I'd say if you haven't seen an improvement after 2 or 3 oci's, nothing's gonna help. Or maybe your last resort is/are engine flushes at that point.

Good luck ðŸ‘

Fwiw.. you can actually double up on the amount of esters by using a 2nd bottle of Rislone for the last 100 miles or so. Of course you'll would need to drain some out of the crankcase to make room for the addtl bottle of Rislone. Also keep in mind that a 2nd bottle will likely have a meaningful effect on 100c viscosity as Rislone is something like a 0w20 - so keep that in mind in choosing your oils viscosity if you intend to double up..

You can visit Rislone's website for more about that but it's pretty much as i just described.

Last edited:
High Performance Lubricants 10w-30 flush oil. Supplement up to 25% with it. It's an ester oil with a CI-4 add pack.

[Linked Image]

Where do you buy that stuff? I don't see it on Amazon..is it direct from the mfg thing? I also didn't see any pricing on the mfgs website either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Where do you buy that stuff? I don't see it on Amazon..is it direct from the mfg thing? I also didn't see any pricing on the mfgs website either.

You have to get it from a Cummins service center last I heard it was around $75 a gallon.

I know about VPB but I mean where does one get the HP product? Not very helpful if ya can't readily find it.

You have to order it through their retail arm, Advanced Lubrication. 815-932-3288

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

You have to order it through their retail arm, Advanced Lubrication. 815-932-3288

ðŸ‘

When the individual asked this question on the post;
"Is there anyone making an oil additive to recreate VPBR with cheaper oils?"

My honest first thought was-I wonder if he distributes Auto RX because that is the product that immediately came to mind in reading the question.

I have used auto rx in the past with several vehicles and helped with oil consumption in 2004 accord-brother still drives this, helped restore compression in 1996 Toyota Tercel-as of last year brother in law still drove that-but no positive or negative impact in 2003 accord-which was traded in for new wife's accord in 2015.

MolaKuke wrote this is 2017:
"The product actually worked when using the explicit instructions.

It is a combination of esters to be used for the slow cleaning of a sludged engine and for seal conditioning"

This is the google patent for the product-

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6544349B1/en

I think Rislone engine treatment Qr100 kind similar cleaning the engine sludge slow and also contains tm ester.

Back