Kreen actually works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta admit I was skeptical and generally don't believe in a fix in a can but I'll be dang. 09 altima that was burning through 3/4 of a quart every 1k like clockwork. I've owned the car since new and serviced it every 3750 just like the manual says, quality oil, oem or better filters. Now at 118k I finally did what Nissan couldn't with kreen. Added half to the tank and half to the sump and let my son run it 1k miles, mostly 80 on the highway to his college and back, changed the oil and hoped for the best. He just pulled back in and I was shocked when I checked the oil at 800 miles to see it maybe used a few ounces, actually not even enough to add but I still did. I'm blown away! I still have another quart and am unsure if I should do it again when it nears the last 1k on the current oil or if to much of a good thing is to much?

Send that extra quart to me!

How that's CVT holding up?

I love additives!!!

banana2.gif

smirk2.gif

Nissan replaced the cvt under extended warranty around 20k ago. This car was at Nissan twice for oil consumption and didn't use the "1 quart per 1k" that Nissan considers excessive. Now ten years later a can of who knows what drastically reduced it.

Good to hear Nissan took responsibility over the Jatco CVT; and you don't have gasoline direct injection, that's win-win.

Let's assume that your original oil consumption issue was due to sticking piston rings from carbon build up.

You see there are many solutions to that problem., ie: Solvents: Kreen, B-12, MMO, Sea Foam; Detergents: Rislone, BG109; Esters: Auto RX Plus; Acids: AC Delco Upper Cylinder Cleaner could have worked in either a piston soak, as a short term flush or in a whole OCI...

Dealerships and their mechanics have an interest in making maximum profit from their customers. They'll probably recommend a ring job, of course most car manufacturer's will consider almost any kind of oil consumption issues as normal and within specifications due to liability - same with recommending any kind of third party additives, which is why pretty much no OEM can ever recommend officially.

Be proud to have made the choice for direct action OP
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Prior to going off to college was the car being short tripped? Glad you found a remedy.
grin2.gif

It was mix of short trips but quite a few trips to my corporate office, Ohio to Stlouis. My opinion is they had this thing tuned super rich from the factory. The tailpipe has always been very black and sooty. When they installed the new tranny they updated the software but it was to late. I think the kreen in the fuel was probably as effective as the in the oil. It's not perfect but I would have added a half quart or more from 800 highway miles at this point, as opposed to 3 ounces. I think I'll do another treatment the last 1k on the current change and see if I can maybe curb it once and for all.

Originally Posted by discountdon
Let's assume that your original oil consumption issue was due to sticking piston rings from carbon build up.

Had to be...what else is Kreen capable of doing?

Originally Posted by Warstud

cleaning and liqueyfing the varnish sludge and sludge in all the nooks and crannies
grin2.gif

Yeah the oil was beyond black when I changed it. Even now there's some greasy looking smudge when I checked the oil so maybe there's still some in there working around? I drained it for an hour so i wouldn't think so.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Yeah the oil was beyond black when I changed it. Even now there's some greasy looking smudge when I checked the oil so maybe there's still some in there working around? I drained it for an hour so i wouldn't think so.

There's always residual oil left in the engine no matter how long you let it drain. That's mixing in with the clean oil. I would run a shortened OCI after the Kreen treatment. Odds are you'll do some additional cleaning and get any residual junk from the cleaning out.

cleaning and liqueyfing the varnish sludge and sludge in all the nooks and crannies
grin2.gif

Marvel Mystery Oil (in the fuel) has an excellent reputation among general aviation piston engine mechanics...

it has been proven to work wonders keeping pistons clean in these engines (which have to deal with a lot of lead)

Originally Posted by Linctex

grin2.gif

Marvel Mystery Oil (in the fuel) has an excellent reputation among general aviation piston engine mechanics...

it has been proven to work wonders keeping pistons clean in these engines (which have to deal with a lot of lead)

don't you aviation guys have an oil equivalent to PP/PPU that also claims to keep pistons clean? surely avation lubes are held to a higher standard and more scrutiny.

Please don't forget that MMO got its good rep with aviation engines back in the day by removing lead deposits (lead oxide produced by combustion)

My only concern with a lot of these cleaning additives you add to the fuel, (especially some of the older ones like MMO, Berryman's, Sea Foam, and Rislone), is how do you know if they won't screw up your catalytic converter? I know they say they are, "Safe for catalytic converters". But how do you really know for certain? Is there a certain chemical or additive they contain that you should look for, and stay away from?

I've heard everywhere that both Gumout Multi System Tune-Up, as well as Techron are cat safe. But some of the others that have been around since before electricity, I'm not so sure about.

Originally Posted by billt460
My only concern with a lot of these cleaning additives you add to the fuel, (especially some of the older ones like MMO, Berryman's, Sea Foam, and Rislone), is how do you know if they won't screw up your catalytic converter? I know they say they are, "Safe for catalytic converters". But how do you really know for certain? Is there a certain chemical or additive they contain that you should look for, and stay away from?

I've heard everywhere that both Gumout Multi System Tune-Up, as well as Techron are cat safe. But some of the others that have been around since before electricity, I'm not so sure about.

You could be right. Around 400 miles into the kreen, the car threw a cel and stumbled upon start up according to my son. It worked itself out and stored no codes, but something broke loose enough to confuse the car. Either way this stuff actually did what people say. Kreen says you can use this every 1k and im tempted to do that for a short OCI to clean this thing up once and for all.

Another thing, is if you watch some of these You Tube videos on Sea Foam and Berryman's treatments, the cars are belching plumes of white smoke as they are being treated with this stuff. That can't be doing the catalytic converters any good, I don't care what they contain.

I've ran Lucas many times because it's cheap and available just about everywhere. Ive been doing some reading on redline and it looks t be legit. Like I said, I think my oil consumption had as much to do with the fuel system as it did with junked up rings. When I say a sooty tailpipe, I'm literally talking dirtier than my power stroke diesel. It's not like the bumper is coated in black or anything, but if you rub the inside with your finger it'll come out like charcoal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back