Home

Lucas Oil stabilizer, good?

Posted By: wolf_06

Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:12 PM

Is this stuff increase mpg / power a bit, anyone used this before?
Posted By: Gabe

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:13 PM

hide

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Gabe
hide
haha! no good?
Posted By: Jeffy_D

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:16 PM

Oh buddy.... use google and type nob is the oil guy Lucas.....that will get you lots of threads about how much its hated here.

thier fuel treatment is liked, but thier oil stabilizer just red gear oil that thickens your oil. Just buy thicker oil if thats the goal. Mpg goes down or stays unchanged. At 12 a quart, its a waste
Posted By: Stephen_G

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:19 PM

Wolf, from what i have gathered from watching BITOG the stuff is nothing but *censored rant based upon the general opinion, think clark griswold from the movie christmas vacation insulting his boss, but with profanity insulting lucas instead*

I would personaly not use it, it is pretty much a heavy oil that increases the viscosity rating of the oil already in the sump. which for a modern engine is not good at all. If you want a heavier oil, just buy a 15W40 instead of spending a ton on the lucas product that does absolutely nothing except make your XWX into a heavier product that you do not know the actual rating of.

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
Oh buddy.... use google and type nob is the oil guy Lucas.....that will get you lots of threads about how much its hated here.

thier fuel treatment is liked, but thier oil stabilizer just red gear oil that thickens your oil. Just buy thicker oil if thats the goal. Mpg goes down or stays unchanged. At 12 a quart, its a waste
oh god! I really like the fuel treatment yes, works well, but I didn't know about the oil stuff. I really think Lucas was a trusted brand...
Posted By: DrDusty86

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:20 PM

It's good for an oil guzzling B&S lawn mower..that's it..

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86

HAHAH! thanks for the info.
Posted By: GT Mike

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:29 PM

I had an 11HP B&S that I ran Lucas straight because it leaked/burned it so badly. The engine was still running pretty strong when I junked the rest of the tractor this spring.
Posted By: Gabe

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:31 PM

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is, without a doubt, the most hated product here. Cheers2

It causes the oil to foam which resembles a blown head gasket and increases engine wear; it is extremely out of grade for a motor oil additive - something like SAE 110. Oh, there are complaints that it has very poor additive package too.

The general census is to use a thicker oil if leaking is a concern or to use a better quality oil if longevity is a concern.
Posted By: SLCraig

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:48 PM

Useless.
A crankcase needs one thing.... OIL

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 06:54 PM

God, I almost regret asking lol...
Posted By: Corvette Owner

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: wolf_06

Well, you DID get your answer !
Posted By: Oregoonian

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 08:17 PM

You seem to be asking many questions like this lately. Several a day on many products.
Posted By: 55Test

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 08:47 PM

Yes, multiple times on many different vehicles, none of which EVER showed the slightest hint of trouble from using it.
Posted By: Bgallagher

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 08:50 PM

Long story short it's snake oil. They have a fun toy on the counter though haha

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 55

Yes, multiple times on many different vehicles, none of which EVER showed the slightest hint of trouble from using it.

+1....Totally agree

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/14/12 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

You seem to be asking many questions like this lately. Several a day on many products.
well, this is a forum right? We can share experiences and stories?

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/15/12 04:37 AM

well, this is a forum right? We can share experiences and stories?

What are you sharing?
Posted By: yonyon

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/15/12 07:10 AM

The Lucas HDOS does a pretty good job of making sparklies in some engines, but not others. If it doesn't work in yours, just go to the dollar store and buy some glitter. It's probably cheaper anyway.
Posted By: accent2012

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 06/15/12 02:52 PM

lol am I the only one that never put oil in those things?

The varnish in mine was the lubricant lol.
Posted By: driver123

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/08/12 05:52 AM

This is the second time I've seen you try to demean the OP like he's asking stupid questions. You are a giant tool, perhaps it's time to get a life.
Posted By: david_ES2

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/08/12 09:44 AM

Stuff sells like crazy though, many believing their engines would not last so long without it.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/08/12 01:20 PM

We used a lot of LOS at a car dealership I worked at. Our manager was known for taking bad trades, he was good at looking for body work, not so good at checking engines and trannys. LOS quieted a few engines in cars that were knocking, long enough for him to offer them to the wholesaler, or even put them on the line for retail sale. I remember one car coming back to the shop with a knock after the guy changed his oil.

LOS has a purpose IMO if you are trying to silence a bad engine.
Posted By: ltslimjim

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/09/12 08:00 AM

^Agreed.
Posted By: jordanschevylet

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/26/12 11:26 PM

lucas has been ran in a semi truck for 3 million miles. what did it hurt
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/26/12 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jordanschevylet
lucas has been ran in a semi truck for 3 million miles. what did it hurt

If you believe everything you read, then it hurt nothing.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/26/12 11:49 PM

Lucas has been avoided in semi trucks for three million miles. What did it's absence hurt?
Posted By: Ram01

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/28/12 04:05 AM

Lucas stop oil burning in any motor
Posted By: boxcartommie22

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/28/12 05:03 PM

nothing lucas makes is any good!! all junk useless.
Posted By: morris

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/28/12 10:38 PM

just use valveoline Premeun blue diesel 15w 40. end of story.
Posted By: Errtt

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 07/30/12 12:01 AM

wow is it really that bad?

Last fall I was tree cutting at a friends. I ran out of bar oil and he had this Lucas thick oil stuff in his garage, so I poured some along the chain every now-and-then. It got the job done.
Posted By: Jaymus

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 08/20/12 07:37 PM

It's 100% completely useless and only degrades the quality of your oil. That's fact. It has no additives and is a group I oil. Why would anyone in their right mind use this if they know it has no additives and makes your oil too thick?

If you can find it, a few years back we had a good talk about this. Someone sent in a UOA of it in their truck, and a VOA of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer itself. Terrible stuff.

I used to mindlessly use it, like a lot of people I know, until I saw the VOA of it. I won't ever touch that stuff again. If you need a thicker oil, use a thicker oil. Don't dilute your add pack by 20-25% by adding this cheap/no additive stuff to your crank case.
Posted By: driver123

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 08/22/12 01:22 AM

Well I can't speak for the rest of these folks, but at my local Auto Zone they have a demonstrator, you walk up turn the wheel which in turn starts the gears rolling, and you can see that this stuff is obviously the best invention in all of human history!
Posted By: ahoier

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 08/26/12 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Garak
Lucas has been avoided in semi trucks for three million miles. What did it's absence hurt?
really? And I thought it was "marketed" toward semi truck drivers....my local WM sells this stuff by the GALLON......I couldn't imagine "measuring out" a quart of this stuff from a huge gallon container wink

But it's amazing, cause the stuff moves.....there's always a couple bottles missing.....so it's got a niche somewhere....
Posted By: Errtt

Re: Lucas Oil stabilizer, good? - 08/28/12 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: driver123
Well I can't speak for the rest of these folks, but at my local Auto Zone they have a demonstrator, you walk up turn the wheel which in turn starts the gears rolling, and you can see that this stuff is obviously the best invention in all of human history!

Yeah I'd like to chuck a drill in place of the hand crank - or just coupled a AC motor to it. Don't think a Dremel chucked to it and running 30k rpm would do the Dremel any favors.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy