2019 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO - Amsoil Marine 10W-40

See attached!

* My first oil change was at 5 hrs using Yamalube and then at 10 hrs which I then switched to Amsoil. All oil changes have used the OEM Oil Filter as shown.

** Just to note I have used Ethanol Free Gas exclusively and have used Sta-Bil Marine 360 in every top off.

[Linked Image]

Filter.jpg

Filter2.jpg

Filter Cutter.jpg

Filter Cutter2.JPG

Oil & Filter.JPG

Last edited:
Nice report! What about the Marine labeling makes it more suitable for those conditions? I don't see anything in the additive package that separates it from other Amsoil offerings.

If anything the additive package is about as basic as you can get. But it sure did a good job on that protection!

Thanks for that, I guess they are using a base oil specific for this application?

Is this kind of like the Jaso MA certification for motorcycles? Amsoil oil meets a marine certification, however other oils would meet the same specification if they applied for it?

Just trying to understand the whole situation, I've always been hesitant for specific use oils because of the marketing we've had for years in the motorcycle community. I am wary of it, thus my questions are sincere and not trying to stir up anything.

I think so. Honestly, the only reason I'm using the Marine grade is should there be an issue with warranty Yamaha can't say I didn't use an oil that meets certification. I'm sure there are others that will chime in more about the cert. I **think** some other oils may meet the requirement if they went through the testing.

Seems that your readings are slightly better than average, so a good report. The filter looks like the OEM Yamaha - Denso filter. Its a decent filter, but a M1, Amsoil or possibly a Fram Ultra might be better. Not sure what benefit the Stabil gives you during the season, but I would certainly run some sort of gas stabilizer before you put it away for long periods.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Seems that your readings are slightly better than average, so a good report. The filter looks like the OEM Yamaha - Denso filter. Its a decent filter, but a M1, Amsoil or possibly a Fram Ultra might be better. Not sure what benefit the Stabil gives you during the season, but I would certainly run some sort of gas stabilizer before you put it away for long periods.

It keeps the gas fresh just in case. There is no long putting it away in FL...it's a year round riding environment!
lol.gif

Nice to see another PWC report. I have a 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX that I broke in with the Kawi 10w-40 Jet Ski oil. "Sunruh", one of the board experts said the report looked really good. Not sure if Yamaha "allows" you to go to a 10/20W-50 weight like Kawasaki does, but you might want to consider that in the summer. I know how hot it gets where you are at. I just moved weeks ago from a community on the southside of Big Lake Harris. We had are own boat ramp. It was so good, we decided to move back to central Ohio:) It was 11 degrees here yesterday. Still in shock that we moved back, but made a boatload of money on the house in Florida! We'll be back!!! By the way, I'm running Valvoline VR1 20w-50 in my ski, but I just got out of warranty.

I think you can run that; however, since I'm under warranty I'm hesitant to run anything out of the ordinary according to Yamaha. The chance of failure due to any decent oil is very slim, although Yamaha won't see it that way should there be a material failure for instance. I do really long rides so it's not worth it to me since this poor thing sees sustained high RPM's for hours at a time.

Yeah, I give you credit as I can't even think about visiting my north peeps let alone moving back.
lol.gif

several things

wow very nice wear metals for 51hrs.
your flash is low for your susvis is way low...56 is 20wt. you are not even in the middle of 30wt
takes 68 to be 40wt.
this maybe partially or wholely because of the fuel dillution

honestly you could go longer on this. if you can afford the amsoil and 60hr oci's ... do it!!!

steve

Originally Posted by sunruh
several things

wow very nice wear metals for 51hrs.
your flash is low for your susvis is way low...56 is 20wt. you are not even in the middle of 30wt
takes 68 to be 40wt.
this maybe partially or wholely because of the fuel dillution

honestly you could go longer on this. if you can afford the amsoil and 60hr oci's ... do it!!!

steve

Yeah, I asked Blackstone if they can re-test the fuel dilution. Not sure how long they save the specimen for after the report.

i have done so many tests (over 90) that i can tell you its much closer to 1.5% than it is 0.5
i have 3 tests at a flash of 385 that show more than 1.0%
i only have 5 tests that have a flash lower than 385 and they all have big fuel in them

and NEVER read what the stoners say. heck even their "should be values" are wrong

What changed in the flash point test "when we took another look"? Be worth an ask of Blackstone. How was it so outrageously wrong the first time? Somebody can't read a test, or they are really the idiots I have resisted calling them to this point.

Originally Posted by Bonz
What changed in the flash point test "when we took another look"? Be worth an ask of Blackstone. How was it so outrageously wrong the first time? Somebody can't read a test, or they are really the idiots I have resisted calling them to this point.

They did a retest of it after I questioned the result.

I understand they did a retest, I am asking why can't they get it right the first time? I didn't try to make it hard to read between the lines. What did they do different the second time? Use a different machine? I am asking if you asked them how they got it so wrong the first time and what they did different the second time to get you the result you were thinking you should have gotten. Who's to say they didn't just swag that, since you had to point out the reality of the situation that they couldn't see the first time.

That's kind of like botching a pregnancy test on a woman who is giving birth.

Originally Posted by Bonz
I understand they did a retest, I am asking why can't they get it right the first time? I didn't try to make it hard to read between the lines. What did they do different the second time? Use a different machine? I am asking if you asked them how they got it so wrong the first time and what they did different the second time to get you the result you were thinking you should have gotten. Who's to say they didn't just swag that, since you had to point out the reality of the situation that they couldn't see the first time.

That's kind of like botching a pregnancy test on a woman who is giving birth.

I didn't ask where the issue was; I'm a bit disappointed they missed it given their own result. They did give me a "free" future test though for keeping them "On their toes" as they said in an email.

I agree what the disappointment. They told me my sample of Mobil 1 10w 40 4T was still in grade, and it was clearly a half-point below-grade as I think sunruh or alarmguy noted.

Blackstone explanation was, in what I took from their response... Based on many samples of that oil and where they all come back based upon the characteristics of the individual oil itself, my 4T was still in grade even though it is below the industry specs by .5 point on my analysis.

If they missed it the first time and they were taking a reading off of a macine, how did they get a better/different/more accurate result the second time using the same equipment and process...

Yours is the most recent mess up on their part, the conversation is fresh, press them a bit more on it if you feel comfortable doing it. We all would love to see where this goes.

Blackstone doesn't test for fuel, they infer it from flashpoint. Maybe they inferred differently once someone woke up and realized that low flash point couldn't possibly correspond with

Maybe they ran an actual test for fuel when you caught their ...oversight?
33.gif

That makes sense, I thought they did an actual reading. The inference helps explain it. Thanks for sticking with me on my line of questions!

Back