Castrol Edge or M1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the disappearance of GC 0w-30, I'm looking for a replacement. My '01 GMC Sieara has a built 6.0 making about 500 crank HP. I only drive it about 2,000-4,000/year and change oil once/year. What would you recommend?

Castrol Edge 0w-40
M1 5w-30 EP
Castrol Edge 5w-30 EP
Something else

Castrol as it contains titanium. Titanium is reportedly one of the better anti-wear additives when the oil is cold. I'd use Castrol Edge 0W40.

Those GM truck engines seem to do real well on 40 weights judging by the UOA reports. The ones prior to 2007 that is when they didn't have AFM.

The engine only has 28K on it, but it does use some oil, as do most LS engines. None the less, I'd like to minimize it. BTW, I'm not opposed to recommendations for most any brand of quality synthetic oil. I would like to be able to source it locally though, thus the leaning to Castrol or Mobil 1.

Did I read correctly that the Catrol Edge 0w-40 is a Group IV POA?

Castrol Edge 0W40, and yes it contains PAO when I asked Castrol that question.

But a 40 grade HDEO like Delo or Delvac would also work well.

Originally Posted By: blsnelling
Thanks for the definitive input.

LOL, yeah, but that oil in that category is IMO that much better.
As for HDDO they are OK, but they usually have high NOACK, they are formulated for different application.
If you asked question which oil is best for modern diesels, I would say Mobil1 5W30 ESP. That is why I use both of those oils in my cars.

How long have you been useing Mobil 1 5w-30 esp. You know experience
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
How long have you been useing Mobil 1 5w-30 esp. You know experience
smile.gif

On and off (before I got X5 diesel) maybe since 2013.
Since I got X5 in 2015 I used ESP most of the time (in winters always) and in summer I used Valvoline 5W40 MST.

I use a lot of M1 0W-40 in BMW's that I service. The current formulation seems to do very well with anitwear. If consumption is an issue, then M1 HM 10W-40 works very well. Both oils have been run by myself and others to 10k miles/one year with normal driving (not all short trips) For short trips I would cut that in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back