Eurol Actence 5W-30 vs Motul Specific vs ELF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

First post in the forum, I have been reading you guys for a while, nice atmosphere!

I am looking for a bit of advice. I need to change the oil and I am considering these 3 alternatives:

Eurol Actene 5W30

Density at 20°C : 0.8468 kg/l
Viscosity, kinematic at 40°C: 69.7 cSt
Viscosity, kinematic at 100°C: 12.1 cSt
Viscosity Index: 172
Viscosity, dynamic (CCS) Base number: 7.8 mg KOH/g
Sulphated ash: 0.51 wt%
Flash point : 209 °C
Pour point: -42 °C

Motul Secific 0720 5W-30

Density at 20°C (68°F) : 0.850
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F): 68.1 mm2/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F): 11.9 mm2 /s
HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F): 3.6 mPa.s
Viscosity Index: 172
Pour point: -36°C / -32.8°F
Flash point: 224°C / 435.2°F
Sulfated ash: 0.49 % weight
TBN: 6.0 mg KOH/g

ELF Solaris 5W30 ( I found the tech specs in here )

TBN 7,17
TAN 1,63
Ash 0,47
PP -46C
FP(open) 242C
CSS -30C 5683
NOACK 9,5
Sulfur 0,129%

It is obviously for a diesel engine with DPF. I change the oil myself so the difference in price is not an issue. The Eurol is considerably cheaper than the other two, and it has the highest TBN... I am confused. Which is one is the best based on the tech specs?

Thank you!

Pour and flash points are not really especially meaningful in an engine, but I do like to see a big spread between the two temperatures...ELF wins that.

I don't know if NOACK loss is a big concern for diesel engines, but the ELF's 9.5% is a decent result and not seeing this provided when I research an oil always make me wonder if it's not very good. I would pick the ELF oil based upon the information you are able to provide.

Have you consider M1 5W30 ESP? I have run this on and off in my gas DIT engine due to its low NOACK loss (around 6%) and low ash/calcium, although it has slightly more ash than your oils above at 0.6%.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Pour and flash points are not really especially meaningful in an engine, but I do like to see a big spread between the two temperatures...ELF wins that.

I don't know if NOACK loss is a big concern for diesel engines, but the ELF's 9.5% is a decent result and not seeing this provided when I research an oil always make me wonder if it's not very good. I would pick the ELF oil based upon the information you are able to provide.

Have you consider M1 5W30 ESP? I have run this on and off in my gas DIT engine due to its low NOACK loss (around 6%) and low ash/calcium, although it has slightly more ash than your oils above at 0.6%.

Thanks for the response. Does the M1 5W30 ESP meets renault RN 0720? It needs to meet ACEA C4 I think.

Thank you

Mobil 1 5W30 ESP is ACEA C3 and does not have the Renault 0720 spec.

Looks like Mobil Super 3000 Formula R 5W-30 carries ACEA C4 and the Renault 0720 spec.

The NOACK, flash, and pour points certainly look good on the ELF oil, but I would have no problem running the Motul either.

Originally Posted By: Al79
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Thanks for the response. Does the M1 5W30 ESP meets renault RN 0720? It needs to meet ACEA C4 I think.

Thank you

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Mobil 1 5W30 ESP is ACEA C3 and does not have the Renault 0720 spec.

Looks like Mobil Super 3000 Formula R 5W-30 carries ACEA C4 and the Renault 0720 spec.

I would use which ever oil meets the spec and provides the least damage to my wallet!

Originally Posted By: Al79

Thank you

Looks like 5W30 ESP is C2/3 mid SAPS rather than the C4 low SAPS you need.
I am surprised that 0.6% is mid SAPS, but it is what it is! Sounds like the OPer should stick with an oil from the list above.

Any would do since they all meet the specs. Never heard of this Eurol company, but their site and oil finder looks legit. If the price difference is big enough and you're doing the OC by yourself use that and cut the OCI by 2K km. If there is any quality difference between them (which I doubt) this will be mitigated by shorter OCI.
Another option is Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30. Shell often is priced correctly, if so , look no further.
Cheers.

Thanks all for the replies. Based on the specs, it looks like any of 3 options could be valid as they all meet RN 0720. Try and error then I guess.

Since Eurol has the highest TBN
confused.gif
, is well priced, I can get it at my local autoparts shop and I do it my self, I think I will give this a go.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The Elf oil clearly contains a better quality base stock than the other two, based on its low pour point and high flash point. Elf is part of Total, which is one of the largest oil companies in Europe. That would be my choice.

Here, in Easthern Europe - Total engine oils (Quartz), especially Elf`s (Evolution) is one of the cheapest imported engine lubricants, among majors. Comparable Motul (Shell, Mobil, Castrol...) is about 20% or more higher in price.

Btw, Solaris FE is an older name for RN0720 Elf`s oil. They changed series names in 2013-2014. If you find these on the market it is an older stock.

New/recent name for the same (reformulated) oil is Evolution Full-Tech FE.

http://www.total-distributor-partners.com/media/66811/evolution_full-tech_fe_5w-30_042015_en.pdf

Anyway, I think your choice of RN0720 approved eurol is excellent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back