Toyota ATF WS from a PRIUS V 65300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Here are the Blackstone results for the Toyota ATF WS taken from my 2013 Prius V. I wrote the wrong mileage on the sample I sent in, it should have been 65300. I'm the second owner but I think this is the original fluid, when I pulled the plugs it didn't look like they had been removed before. I changed the fluid out to AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF. I plan on putting a couple months on it then changing it again and getting that tested.

Yeah that's definitely a factory fill, as evidence by how sheared it is. I've seen some crazy high iron before but never aluminum like that on a transmission uoa.

Thanks for posting these numbers.
Toyota claims WS ATF lasts for the lifetime of the vehicle.
What they really mean is by changing it, you significantly increase the lifetime of the vehicle.
Do let us know how Amsoil works.
I've drained/filled with MaxLife synthetic ATF which claims WS-compatibility. No UOA but shifts are smoother and ATF remains clear red after a few 1000s miles.

HSD is hard on the WS. I am thinking of doing a d/f even sooner than the 30K initially planned, especially after seeing this.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
HSD is hard on the WS. I am thinking of doing a d/f even sooner than the 30K initially planned, especially after seeing this.

HSD?

Hybrid synergy drive. Thats what toyota call the CVT-like tranny they got.

WS isn't a lifetime fluid but a 60,000mi fluid in my opinion. The WS factory fill in my bro's Lexus LS430 with ~120,000mi smelt bad and looked like runny poo water. If it was recently changed it wouldn't look like that. It did get a complete fluid w/ WS (12qts) and filter change but I'm considering switching to Maxlife at around 150,000mi.

I forgot to add I live in the Temecula area in southern California so my car sees ambient air temps temps from 32f to 115f.
I would have changed it sooner if I knew.
My mom just bought a used 2014 Prius with 30,000 on it. I'm going to talker her into changing the fluid out. Her last car was a 2007 Corolla that finally gave up two weeks ago with roughly 600,000. I didn't get any UOA's on it but I think she had only changed the trans fluid once. it was severe driving as well she lives on a mountain in Southern California and drives up and down every work day.

I was going to 'go off' on the fluid, but who knows there may be an issue with the HSD.

I'm running D4 in my 2004; was never a fan of Toyota factory fluids; they never seem to 'amaze' like after market ones do.

I changed my FF @ 66K shortly after getting the vehicle; glad I did.

Last edited:
Change the fluid often, with many high mileage older generation hybrids Toyota/Lexus MG1 & MG2 will start to short out the windings on the stator. The expansion & contraction of the windings over time damages the insulating coating from the wear metals in the fluid. Almost like a sandblasting effect. I've dismantled several with over 200,000 miles & you can see the insulation on the windings etched from the wear metals.

By chance would you have any pics of the MG's? I would be interested to see the degradation.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yeah that's definitely a factory fill, as evidence by how sheared it is. I've seen some crazy high iron before but never aluminum like that on a transmission uoa.
From what I've read of the experiences of others, the factory fill from a HSD typically comes out looking rough, even if drained pretty early. Then subsequent fills, not so much. I don't recall any specific UOA data. I changed mine, which was probably factory fill, at about 49K. It was inky black, as is reportedly typical for a first drain. Nothing stuck to the magnet with which I stirred the drained WS, though. With the new WS, I installed a magnetic drain plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Change the fluid often, with many high mileage older generation hybrids Toyota/Lexus MG1 & MG2 will start to short out the windings on the stator. The expansion & contraction of the windings over time damages the insulating coating from the wear metals in the fluid. Almost like a sandblasting effect. I've dismantled several with over 200,000 miles & you can see the insulation on the windings etched from the wear metals.

Thanks for this 1st hand information. Do you see units failing much more often with frequent ATF change as well?

Also do you think other ATF would do ok or you think WS makes more sense?

Last edited:
Note that Blackstone refers to "typical wear levels for this type engine." Engine?! Ha-ha! That shows they aren't paying attention. It may be typical wear levels for original WS from a HSD transmission. The moral of the story is that if you have one, you'd best change the fluid at least once, and change it early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back