K9 Comedy Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the Dobermans got into the catnip.

IMG_-fzkfqp.jpg

Originally Posted by Kestas
Look at the smiles on their faces!!

That is what I was thinking . Happy dogs . :)

Originally Posted by dippschtick
They're just laughing at the things they got away with today!

Maybe that too .

Or the weird / strange / dumb stuff people do ?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I Like Dobi's, but i fail to understand why folks cut their ears and tail.

Seems barbaric.

No It IS barbaric.

Used to be to prevent injury to the dog. A working dog could snag an ear on brush, or have it torn by whatever it was hunting or fighting.

Today dogs can have their tail docked if they keep smashing it into things--they can break a bone and cause infection. I have no idea how dogs don't feel their tail whacking into things, but anyone who has watched happy dogs know that they do. Hence some dogs have to have them removed, for their good health.

I kinda like docked ears but since it's mostly cosmetic these days I wouldn't be able to do it. Tail docking, that sometimes has to occur.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I Like Dobi's, but i fail to understand why folks cut their ears and tail.

Seems barbaric.

No It IS barbaric.

Actually, your judgement of it being barbaric, is purely out of your own ignorance and failing to understand basic canine health evolution & biology. Dogs with cropped ears are MUCH less likely to get ear infection, yeast infections of the ear canal, wax build-ups, injuries, hematomas, etc.
Think about this - NO WILD TYPE Canid species has flopped over ears, they ALL stand erect and upright, because that is what nature dictated to be the most trouble free form of ear design, over the hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

Now, during humankind's domestication & subsequent selective breeding of dogs, the ears of a great many breeds gradually became too pendulous to stand up on their own. So modern day problems require alternative solutions in order to deal with the issues that floppy ears have.

I've owned, trained, bred & worked with hardcore working & hunting dogs for the past 28 years and have worked closely within the veterinary field dealing with Police K9, hunting dogs, Personal Protection Dogs, security K9's, search & tracking dogs, etc. My ex is a DVM and several of my good friends are DVM's as well. Their real life experiences, in addition to my own, back this ear cropping debate up, whether or not it pleases you, the furmoms, PETA and any other bleeding heart animal lovers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back