Inventions of the 1950's - 1970's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spin-on oil filters were invented in the '50s.
PCV systems in the '60s---among many other automotive innovations.

Thanks Stevie. This brought back some fine memories, not only of the products that hit the market but, of the time that we lived in. I loved the musical soundtrack and knew every song.

Now you don't have to be in the same room or even the same house to change the channel on your TV, though the utility of that invention seems dubious.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Thanks Stevie. This brought back some fine memories, not only of the products that hit the market but, of the time that we lived in. I loved the musical soundtrack and knew every song.

The year I was born,1969,Marmalade "Reflections of My Life". I love that song!!

Originally Posted by CR94

As much as people hate PCV systems, they used to just dump the fumes in a pipe along side the engine. Re-burning crank case fumes did a lot to help reduce smog in LA.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

As much as people hate PCV systems, they used to just dump the fumes in a pipe along side the engine. Re-burning crank case fumes did a lot to help reduce smog in LA.

That and EGR valves or valve overlap strategy (later) cutting down on NOx, NOx are huge contributors to smog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
They missed the catalytic converter in ‘75. ...
... and disk brakes, radial tires, plastic (vs. "hard rubber") battery cases, 12v systems, McPherson struts, affordable FWD, tempered automotive glass, paper air filters, electronic ignition, alternators, air bags (not on the market yet, but invented and under development within the 70s), and on and on ... A lot can be invented in a 30-year span, just in the automotive field alone.

... and disk brakes, radial tires, plastic (vs. "hard rubber") battery cases, 12v systems, McPherson struts, affordable FWD, tempered automotive glass, paper air filters, electronic ignition, alternators, air bags (not on the market yet, but invented and under development within the 70s), and on and on ... A lot can be invented in a 30-year span, just in the automotive field alone.

I think disc brakes came from aircraft first.

Remember when all GM vehicles had the round "Disc Brakes" symbol in the rubber brake pedal pad?
lol.gif
cheers3.gif

Remember when all GM vehicles had the round "Disc Brakes" symbol in the rubber brake pedal pad?

.....and the rears were still drum brakes.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back