The BEST $500 car in history!!!

So while browsing around on Facebook Marketplace I came across an ad with a very attractive price. It was a 2000 Lexus GS300 with.... 360,000 miles on it. It was sitting for a couple years and was almost 2 hours away from me. I went and fell in love. Not perfect. Engine and tranny do not leak, but "sweat" oil out, if you know what I mean. Nothing a few new oil seals and gaskets can't fix. Engine bay was full of spider web, but no rat's nests! (YES!) Obviously had tree sap all over it, after sitting outside for so long. So under close supervision from owners I quickly brought the car to life, as I am familiar with 2JZ-GE Inline six engine. Owner was surprised... After a couple rounds in the neighborhood I decided to pull the trigger on it. Basically this car comes out to $500. Best part? I drove it home for two hours and it didn't miss a beat after 360,000 miles and sitting outside since 2016. Lexus quality.
I will periodically update this thread with what repairs and upgrades I make to new-to-me $500 car. Super excited. Here it is after a quick wash. Yes that is a dent on the rear driver side door... Door and window function without issues, no water leaks either.

On the way home I stopped by Wal-Mart to get new windshield wipers. Could not hear the engine at all while changing wipers... Only knew that the car was on by the fact that fans came on periodically, and tachometer was reading idle RPM...

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Those color changing seats are awesome!

Congrats!

Hah yea, some car was pulling in the car wash while I took the pic and headlight shine made it look a different color. Nice observation! I didn't notice it.

That's awesome!
cheers3.gif

Red 1999 Lexus GS400 was purchased a couple months ago as my brother's first car. $2000. 210k miles.

And Black 2000 Lexus GS300 was purchased last night $500. 360k miles.

Not even 24 hours after purchase, and here comes the FIRST UPGRADE! Nothing crazy just an OEM for OEM swap. As you can see from the pictures above - GS300 has the fat five spoke alloys. I'm not digging that wheel, so I got "skinny" six spoke wheels from the "Sport Design" model of GS300. OEM look, but a bit more appealing to my eye.

P.S. "Fat Fives" are for sale with local pickup. Charlotte, NC. 5 wheels with bad tires.

Originally Posted By: Vladiator
Could not hear the engine at all while changing wipers... Only knew that the car was on by the fact that fans came on periodically, and tachometer was reading idle RPM...

Had a flashback when I read this.

When Lexus first came out I was a valet at a resort. Every so often we'd get in Lexus' to go park and turn the key. Oh, that horrible noise of a car already running. Gives you a start and an angry look from the owner!

Originally Posted By: Egg_Head
Nice score Vlad, will you be running 0w-20 Idemitsu in it?

I may try it to see what it does... According to the window sticker last oil change was made with 5w20 conventional. And so far no smoke or burnt oil smell in the exhaust. So I may give it a shot. But Most likely Idemitsu 0w20 will go straight to my mom's 2006 Highlander Hybrid. Performs really well in that 3.3L with a very small MPG gain across the board and seasons. Also will be in my dad's 2009 Tacoma with 2.7L that gets short tripped, his work is 3 miles away, which equals out to 25k miles driven in 6ish years... And the rest of my vehicles will enjoy the more viscous offerings from my stash.

Back