Buying Tires on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone here pointed out a great deal on Amazon for tires. Anyone else bought there and can share their experience? I think it's interesting they are now offering to send your tires to an installer like tire rack does. If you buy from Amazon, would it only be the tire manufacture's warranty on the tires? I may just pull the trigger as they are 40/per tire lower than discount.

Are they cheaper than a local shop, once mount&balance is included? If it's only a few bucks more to support a local shop, does that make sense, since one would expect "free" rotations and "free" tire repairs (plugs) and hopefully better support if a tire has to be replaced under warranty.

I have not tried Amazon yet. I did buy a few sets from DTD and have a local garage balance for me (as I could mount myself for maximum savings), and DTD did RMA a tire for me once, so I have no complaints. But the last couple of sets I just found a local tire shop as the savings was no longer as dramatic.

Yes, you pretty much give up any warranties a tire shop may give as part of the buying/mounting process, like road hazard and whatnot. If a tire has obvious issues, not their problem.

I was willing to chance it and deal with Amazon or Yokohama directly if the tires I bought had issues. But I hedged my bet a bit by having a reputable shop doing the mounting. They were more expensive but I knew I wouldn't see a bunch of weights on a wheel or any of the other shenanigans you see when some places mount tires.

Depending on the vehicle, I check Costco pricing. They commonly run $60 off a set of Michelin or Bridgestone tires.
Then I go to Wheel Works and ask them to match. I have never been turned down.
Of course, it probably ends up costing more, due to balancing, etc.
And I almost always get an alignment with a new set of tires.

If I am after a cheaper set of rubber, I just keep hammering them on the price, show them my history with them.
Then pay and be done with it.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Is the price better than TireRack or DTD?

Yes, better than those. Discount just priced match it so I now have 14 days to buy. Discount = 176 per tire. Amazon = 137.56

I've bought from Discount before and the store by me is pretty good so I was hoping they would price match.

I have found that if you buy online, the installer will gouge you for installation costs.

This in most cases makes their dealer cheaper.

Also the support of the tire, and warranty.

.. Discount just priced match it so I now have 14 days to buy. Discount = 176 per tire. Amazon = 137.56

I've bought from Discount before and the store by me is pretty good so I was hoping they would price match.
Good move. Ime, DT will PM a documented price. And now you will the have tire treadwear warranty covered and prorated road hazard to go with it. Didn't know IL location and distance to DT, but would have been my suggestion.

I have used Amazon in the past for a couple tires. Two Goodyears to be exact and the cost was half of the local tire store, the date code was a few months old, so they were "freshies". Walmart mounted for ten bucks a piece carry in.

I've had good luck buying tires from Amazon and Walmart.com, at the time they were the best prices I could find anywhere. The tires were new inventory, I would buy from them again. I have a local shop that did the installation for a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Depending on the vehicle, I check Costco pricing. They commonly run $60 off a set of Michelin or Bridgestone tires.
Then I go to Wheel Works and ask them to match. I have never been turned down.
Of course, it probably ends up costing more, due to balancing, etc.
And I almost always get an alignment with a new set of tires.

If I am after a cheaper set of rubber, I just keep hammering them on the price, show them my history with them.
Then pay and be done with it.

Pretty much all tire stores do the price match. But the reason I stick with Costco is that they include a 5 year road hazard warranty as part of the install and you get free rotation and free balancing. Most tire shops either charge extra for the road hazard or don't include the free balancing. I use the free balancing to figure out if I have a bent or cracked rim...

Right now Costco is doing $110 off a set of Michelins. Tire rack is the same price without the rebate, but with free shipping and only a 2 year road hazard, plus you have to pay to get them installed. Way more money.

I've bought 2 sets of tires from Amazon. No tax, free shipping. If they're the best price, I'll do it again.

O did the michies from Costco ...they also did Nitrogen fill at no cost which i always thought was a gimmick. That was 2 years ago and the pressure in them has not dropped since other than for temperature change. In my entire life I have never had a single tire that didn't need regular additional air.

Support your local brick store. If go cheap I don't expect to see you in the free air line at DT.

I just bought four BF Goodrich rugged terrains 275/55/20 from Amazon because they were $89/tire when I saw them and I had a gift card to use up. They are up to 145.99 now. I don't understand why the prices on Amazon jump around so much. I never bought tires there before but I am taking a shot at that price.

I bought Sumitomo Encounter HT tires from Amazon, they were shipped from Simple Tire (seller) and I had no issues with them, happy with tires.
Price was much lower than anywhere else.
I do have a go to tire place for the last few years. I also have a buddy who owns and works in auto repair shop, he'd let me change/balance tires myself.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I have found that if you buy online, the installer will gouge you for installation costs.

This in most cases makes their dealer cheaper.

Also the support of the tire, and warranty.

This has not been my experience. Online plus local shop installation is almost always cheaper, even if the local place has the same tires on sale!

Some online sellers will even list quotes from multiple local affiliate shops, or you can just call a local shop and ask their rate, and if you want addt'l support services then ask the rate for those too. Often it's just a different package price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back