Home

Cheap beater tires

Posted By: Speedinsweede

Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 08:23 PM

My saab beater is badly in need of 2 new tires. The car isn't worth anything, so I don't want to put any real money into the tires. I'm looking for a decent pair of cheap tires that I won't have any problems running year round in Toronto. I bought the car with some no name Chinese tires, Runway Enduro 916+. While they are absolutely awful in the snow, I found them to be more than adequate in the rain and 80% of the conditions I drive in.

Tire size is 235 45 17

Currently I'm looking at some Starfire WR all season tires for 105$ (CAD) each. I hear starfire tires are made by cooper, so I assume they will not be terrible. Although I can not find any reviews online that confirm that.

Any of you guys have experience with this tire? Or have a different cheap tire to recommend?
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 08:32 PM

If you want cheap tires, why not just get some used tires?
Posted By: Donald

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 08:33 PM

Some take-offs.
Posted By: andreigbs

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 08:38 PM

General Tire has some decent options, they're pretty cheap and are owned by Continental so you know you're getting a good but "discount" product.

IMO, with tires being the only thing between you and the road, I wouldn't cheapen out. No need to splurge, but definitely steer clear of Chinesiums (or as others call them, "Chinapops").
Posted By: atikovi

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
If you want cheap tires, why not just get some used tires?

^This. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Kigigi or whatever they call it up there, and used tire stores.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 08:50 PM

I feel like people on the Toronto classifieds grossly overvalue their used tires. I occasionally look for used tires on kijiji, but its seems to be just littered with shops spamming their gear, creating a separate post for literally every single size tire and resellers. You'll get people selling half worn Michelin's with a DOT from 2013 for 400$, by the time you get those installed your in it for 500$ and would be better off getting a Chinese tire anyways. As for takeoffs, I look for those too but the only ones I can seem to find in my size are Dunlop Sport Maxx's taken off new subarus. That's not the type of tire im looking for anyways.

Also, 90% people dont post pictures of the tire DOT in the ad, makes it hard to find a tire worth going to look at
Posted By: Kira

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 09:05 PM

Sounds like you answered your own question.
Go to a tire source in person or online and view the cheapest tire you can find in your size.
Then buy them.

You're down in the basement with the dirt and the rats.....pick one.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kira
Sounds like you answered your own question.
Go to a tire source in person or online and view the cheapest tire you can find in your size.
Then buy them.

You're down in the basement with the dirt and the rats.....pick one.

Yes, thats the plan...

However, i did not answer my own question

I created this post to see if anyone has had any experience/recommendations for cheap tire brands, because I don't.

E.g Maxxis, GT Radial, Starfire, Antares, Fuzion, Laufenn
Posted By: MoneyJohn

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 09:24 PM

Don't get Fuzion, AT ALL, for that cost.

6 years ago, due to the boatload of medical bills, we were living paycheck to paycheck and the mechanic put Fuzion Tourings (195-55/16) without asking me on 2006 Sentra. Not that I knew any better. 2 years and less than 6K in little outskirts of NYC, no problem. Then one day there was a millimeter or two wet snow coating on the road at the time of school pick up, I was going about ~15mph and I was skidding all the way around. Pretty good tread still left but I was scared. Again happened a few times, hydroplaning became an issue, then vouched, I will not touch these tires.

Now, these tires are going about $78 locally + mounting and balancing. For the performance they offer, I will pay $50 max. No idea about the other brands listed.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 09:31 PM

That seems to be inline with some of the reviews available for the FUzion UHP sport A/S. They cost about 105$ as well, and now I will likely stay away. Thanks
Posted By: Black_Thunder

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 09:37 PM

Milestar or Douglas tires
Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 09:46 PM

Consider the Kumho Solus HA31

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Seem like a decent tire, bit pricey in Canada at 165$ each.
Posted By: csandste

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 10:13 PM

Girlfriend really likes those Starfires. Very quiet tire.
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 10:37 PM

You are wasting money buying used tires usually, they are not really cheaper. The only reason to buy them is to trade in the car right after.

Personally I found deals online from Walmart / Discount Tire Direct / Tire Rack on close out, then bring them to the local mom and pop to install.
Posted By: Traction

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 11:03 PM

I'm sorry, but the cheapest thing you could possibly do, would be to start over, and buy a better car.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/10/20 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Speedinsweede

Quattro Tires has them for $142, and there is a 5% off promo code and a $40 rebate smile

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 12:07 AM

Quattro Tires has them for $142, and there is a 5% off promo code and a $40 rebate smile

Thats a pretty good deal, If I was buying a set of four tires, I'd likely jump on it

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 12:17 AM

If I was buying a set of four tires, I'd likely jump on it

How are your other 2 tires? Are they basically new, or how much tread is left on them? How long do you think the other 2 would last? If they won't survive past this summer, it may be worth buying 4 now anyway

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 12:28 AM

The other two are in pretty good nick, id say at least 7/32nds. For the past two winters I've swapped out the same pair for snows. I reckon I can get at least another year or two out of them.
Posted By: Jimzz

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:02 AM

Check out walmart for its Douglas or Viva3 tires. Not great but still better than many chinese ones.
Posted By: CKN

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:09 AM

For only several hundred dollars more you could have Michelins.

Just thought I would post it and get it over with................
Posted By: Rand

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:26 AM

never mind canadian pricing is terrible and hard to lookup.
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by CKN
For only several hundred dollars more you could have Michelins.

Just thought I would post it and get it over with................

Yeah, after all the tires are the only thing touching the ground. Just depends how much you value your life.

Just posting to get that over with too.
Posted By: HangFire

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:33 AM

What speed rating is required?

Is buying in the US an option?

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:34 AM

Guy is driving a $500 beater. No sense in paying over $50 for a used tire.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:36 AM

[censored], these new ones are $81 CDN on ebay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-New-235-4...0&hash=item216a89f1cc:i:143521345996

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 01:52 AM

I suppose I could pick up the tires in the states, but driving there to pick em up would probably cancel out any potential cost savings in gas and lost time. Speed ratings don't really matter, most of the tires i see of this size are V rated up to 240km/h. Which is probably faster than the car is able to go. I dont mind spending upwards of 120$ cad per tire for this car, I'd just prefer the peace of mind someone else's referral would give me.

Here are some cheap tires I am able to pick up locally, Maybe you guys have heard of some of these:
Ironman Imove gen 2 86$ ea
Antares INGENS A1 93$ ea
Westlake SA07 99$ ea
Starfire WR 105$ ea
GT radial CHAMPIRO UHP AS 119$ ea
Hercules RAPTIS R-T5 120$ ea
Fuzion UHP sport a/s 96$ ea
KUMHO ECSTA PA51 119$ ea

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 02:10 AM

I found this Minerva for $111 smile
Posted By: wdn

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 02:40 AM

Driving a beater you would be better off looking for one with 15” or even 14” tires not huge 235 45 17. It will be very hard to find cheap 17” tires. Cheapest on tire rack is Riken Raptor for $78 each.
Posted By: MrMoody

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 02:45 AM

We've run the Westlakes on the Matrix and a Mini Cooper, not quiet nor the best tread life but behaved fine, usable but not great in the slushy stuff we occasionally get here. Nankangs and Milestars are probably the best values I've run across, the Matrix has Milestars on it now. No cheap all season is going to be very good in the snow.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by wdn
Driving a beater you would be better off looking for one with 15” or even 14” tires not huge 235 45 17. It will be very hard to find cheap 17” tires. Cheapest on tire rack is Riken Raptor for $78 each.

Your absolutely right!

Granted I did not think of tire prices when i bought the car. Any half decent economy car around these parts holds its value like crazy. For the price I paid for this car, I could maybe get a civic or corolla few years older with probably double the mileage.

Is minerva a good tire? I've never heard of them. I cant even find that particular tire on their site.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 03:21 AM

There have been a few recommendations for milestars on here. I've never seen them before, do they sell in Canada?
Posted By: IndyIan

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 03:35 AM

A used tire place should sell 2 name brand tires at a decent price, like maybe $60-80 each mounted and installed? Also you can see what you are going to get and probably have a couple different options. I got a pair of 14" tire quite a few years ago for $40 each installed.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 05:04 AM

I did not think of tire prices when i bought the car. Any half decent economy car around these parts holds its value like crazy. For the price I paid for this car, I could maybe get a civic or corolla few years older with probably double the mileage.

The Echo hatcbacks are awesome! (They didn't sell the Echo hatch down here cry)
Even one with twice the mileage of your Saab might still last longer and cost less to keep on the road, which is why they hold their value.

Is minerva a good tire? I've never heard of them. I cant even find that particular tire on their site. [/quote]

That particular Minerva seems to have been replaced with another tire called the Emi Zero, but the new one may not be available yet.. The Minerva is probably equal to the other cheap tires, but it is probably a good idea for you to get all-weather tires (the 3-peak all-season kind)

But buying a set of 4 Kumho HA31 still seems to be the best way to go in your case.

The other two are in pretty good nick, id say at least 7/32nds. For the past two winters I've swapped out the same pair for snows. I reckon I can get at least another year or two out of them.

Do you use only two winter tires? crzy
Posted By: Pew

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 02:36 PM

I can't personally vouch for Maxxis, but a lot of the regional grassroots motorsport guys run their tires and like them.
Posted By: KenshinHimura

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 04:10 PM

My recommendation is for the General AS-05. Made by Continental in the USA and only cost 108.99 at tire rack or Walmart. I have these on my Veloster and I really like how they handle.
Posted By: skyactiv

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/11/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
My recommendation is for the General AS-05. Made by Continental in the USA and only cost 108.99 at tire rack or Walmart. I have these on my Veloster and I really like how they handle.
. My wife has these Generals on her Audi. The ones on her car are made in Portugal. They are biased towards very good dry and wet traction. As such they don't have the best traction on snow. We have a set of winter tires on wheels for the Audi when needed, which hasn't happened this winter yet.
Posted By: Randy_R

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/12/20 02:48 AM

I’ve seen westlakes and starfires In local independent shops around here but don’t know where they made. When looking for cheapest does it matter? Don’t get used unless you selling the car. Had General Altimax made in Brazil. Now have Hankook made in USA. My son just got Yokohama made in USA. If you can avoid China made do it.
Posted By: zzyzzx

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/12/20 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I’ve seen westlakes and starfires In local independent shops around here but don’t know where they made.

China or Indonesia.
They also cost the same as the made in USA Douglas tires that Walmart sells
Posted By: Saabist

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/13/20 01:36 AM

I am very happy with the General Altimax RT43 tires on my Saab beater.
Posted By: jackz

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/13/20 02:26 AM

Try on line for simple tire works for me.

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/13/20 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Saabist

What did yours cost you? For my size they are pretty expensive here. RT43's in 235/45/17 cost 160$ ea, thats 10 bucks short of pilot sport a/s 3+'s. Just a few months ago I picked up a set of rt43's for in 225/70/16 for 100$ ea.

I know where to look to find good prices on tires. I made this thread to see if any of you guys had experience with cheap tires. Seems like most of you are buying that fancy stuff LOL
Posted By: KenshinHimura

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/13/20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Saabist

What did yours cost you? For my size they are pretty expensive here. RT43's in 235/45/17 cost 160$ ea, thats 10 bucks short of pilot sport a/s 3+'s. Just a few months ago I picked up a set of rt43's for in 225/70/16 for 100$ ea.

I know where to look to find good prices on tires. I made this thread to see if any of you guys had experience with cheap tires. Seems like most of you are buying that fancy stuff LOL

Cheap doesn't always equal value. For me, I have a daily that will be driving all 4 seasons, that will likely include a set of 3 seasons and winters, It is a bit pay to play with the larger rim sizes as I have 18s on my Veloster and have a set of 17 that will end up being the new winter rims. I would rather spend a bit more on the car I have to daily knowing that I can depend on it while my summer toy doesn't need to have the Dunlop Direzza star spec 3 summers on it. I personally avoid the supercheap no name tires due to lack of trust in potential quality (treadwear, build quality, ect) and the fact that only 4 tires are what keep the vehicle in contact with the ground. I would go with a lower tier known brand (Kelly, Douglas, Mastercraft, General, ect) and avoid the no names.
Posted By: dadto2

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/13/20 08:14 PM

Take a Saturday and drive down to Buffalo, and pick up some Starfires at a Mr. Tire or Mavis Discount Tire, or get some Douglas tires at Walmart. Starfire and Douglas are both manuafactured by Cooper IIRC.
Posted By: Errtt

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/14/20 01:09 AM

For me my area I'd go DT Arizonian Silver Edition III. Had put them on a vehicle (Camry) we were going to get rid of, but gave that car to a grand daughter afterwards and they did well. They did have cheaper tires (GT Radial Champiro Touring and Otshu) but couldn't pull myself to those as my son was driving the car until we got a replacement, so the Arizonian did fine for the short time he drove the car, then the grand daughter took it and drove miles until worn and I replaced the tires with new higher end. At least she got a new tire when she damaged one from DT. I also couldn't myself for any used tires.
Posted By: zzyzzx

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/14/20 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by dadto2
Starfire and Douglas are both manuafactured by Cooper IIRC.

Douglas tires are made by Goodyear, and usually in the US.
Posted By: Saabist

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/14/20 02:09 AM

I have a Saab 9000 CSE which takes a 205/60-15 tire. It's a rusty, high-mileage beater but runs well. I bought the Generals close to 3 years ago at Tire Rack and as I recall it was something like $425 with mounting and balancing for the 4 tires. (This was before the feds ruled that the states can collect sales tax.)

For grins I just checked Tire Rack and a set of 4 RT43 tires my size today are about $82 each, $328 set of 4, plus another $130 or so for mounting, balancing, and tax. So the total would be around $460 out the door and installed. Your size is much more expensive though, about $133 per tire, and that's U.S. rather than Canadian pricing.
Posted By: MrMoody

Re: Cheap beater tires - 02/15/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by dadto2
Starfire and Douglas are both manuafactured by Cooper IIRC.

Douglas tires are made by Goodyear, and usually in the US.

My experience with Douglas from Walmart was that they were ridiculously short-lived. This was about 10 years ago so YMMV.

I see Milestar on amazon.ca but they are much more expensive than they are in the States, even allowing for exchange rate.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy