Home

Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow"

Posted By: SubLGT

Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 06:14 PM

Michelin had a recent event in Umea, Sweden to introduce the replacement for the X-Ice Xi3 and Latitude Xi2 studless winter tires.

https://shina.guide/press/22903/#more-22903

Some excerpts from the Russian report linked above (with the help of Google Translate):

...Michelin has prepared a new generation of studless tires for cars and SUVs for the winter season 2020/2021. According to the manufacturer, the characteristics of the new Scandinavian type Michelin X-Ice Snow and Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV have significantly improved compared to the predecessor models Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2, respectively.....

...The performance properties of the Michelin X-Ice Snow and Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV tires were honed during testing in Finnish Ivalo. The company emphasizes that their braking performance and traction during acceleration on ice and snow remain at the same level throughout the entire service life, up to a residual tread depth of 3 mm...

...But the main emphasis that was made when developing new products is longevity. On the tires of the new model, you can cover 1900 km more than on similar products Continental, Goodyear or Nokian - say Michelin....

...Michelin X-Ice Snow's internal tests were conducted at Test World in Finland, where they were compared with direct competitors Continental VikingContact 7 , Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 , Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 and Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 2 . Not only new tires, but also tires with two degrees of wear were tested: after a run of 10,000 km, which corresponds to the average of one winter season, and with a residual tread depth of 4 mm (an expected result after three winter of operation)...

...According to the test results, Michelin X-Ice Snow defeated their rivals both in a new condition and in a worn out one. The only exception was the braking performance of new tires on ice, where the braking distance of the Continental VikingContact 7 was slightly less...

....But it seems that this fact does not upset the manufacturer, who notes that the advantage of X-Ice Snow over competitors increases with wear and tear, which is fully consistent with its Long Lasting Performance philosophy that its tires should remain safe, no matter how many kilometers they are have passed....

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 06:19 PM

Tread design of the X-Ice Snow:

[Linked Image from shina.guide]
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 06:28 PM

Well now! Looks like they seriously changed up the tread design. If only they produce them in the size for my Jeep, that'd be amazing.
Posted By: dubber09

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 06:40 PM

And how are they better than General Altimax Arctic 12? Or Blizzak WS90?
Posted By: krzyss

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 06:48 PM

General is studable winter tire so ice traction without studs will be very likely much worse than studless, especially top tier studless. Other results - tests will be needed.
Against WS90 - we need to wait for tests but it was Bridgestone doing catch up and frequently changing models (70 -> 80 -> 90) while Michelin was making Xi3 and Ix2 Lattitude during he same time frame.

Next winter customer should have broader selection of studless tires compared to this one.

Krzyś

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 06:50 PM

https://www.vibilagare.se/nyheter/f...-nya-vinterdack-anpassat-mildare-vintrar

...- As always with Michelin, they emphasize the durability and their Long Lasting Performance philosophy that means the tire should perform well down to the last legal millimeters. This is achieved by the fact that the pattern and seams really go all the way down the tread and that the pattern opens up and becomes wider as the tire is worn....

...- The pattern is surprisingly coarse and attractive. .... The advantage of the open pattern is that it handles water and slush better than before. This is otherwise the Achilles heel with Nordic friction tires whose dense pattern is poor at evacuating water.

- In discussions with the tire designers, it appears that they have made a conscious adjustment to the increasingly wet winters with more rain and slush than white powder snow. This is what Michelin itself claims. We will of course include the new Michelin tire in our own, independent, winter tire tests that we will be doing later this winter. Then we can see how well X-Ice Snow performs against competitors on ice, snow, dry and wet. We will publish these results this fall for next winter...

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 07:09 PM

https://moottori.fi/ajoneuvot/jutut/michelin-x-ice-snow-uutuusrengas/

...The Michelin X-Ice Snow will be replacing the X-Ice Xi3, which has been on sale for years, as its grip on snow and ice has been overshadowed by the latest competitors....The Michelin X-Ice Snow seeks to challenge Continental's dominating position of studless winter tires.

...Michelin promises that the novelty tire will provide 4% better grip on snow than its predecessor, and ice grip is reported to have improved by as much as 8%. There is also a clear improvement in water and slip properties...

...Economy is also likely to be better, as rolling resistance is reported to have decreased by 9%. The noise level Michelin says has stayed on the same line as its predecessor.

...The X-Ice Snow product family is sold in 123 different sizes, of which 42 are new. Of these, 82 will be on sale this year, covering 85 percent of sales; the remaining 41 sizes will be available in stores next spring.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 07:23 PM

Some more tire photos here:

http://colesa.ru/news/63088

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 07:27 PM

[Linked Image from colesa.ru]
New "Snow" on left, old Xi3 on right.

Posted By: Rand

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 07:32 PM

excellent, this is what I wanted when I purchased the vikingcontact 7 this year.
Which have been VERY good so far.

Still have about 2 winters remaining on my Jeep's blizzak dm-v2
Maybe my next set of winter tires on the jeep or its replacement(vehicle) will be these Michelins

Thank you for all the tire posts. While some are more useful than others it is very convenient to click on them here instead of sorting through pages of results on a search engine.
Posted By: wdn

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 07:48 PM

Thanks for the writeup, very informative. Ice grip increasing by 9% is a lot.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 08:24 PM

Nokian is feeling the heat from competitors. 10-20 years ago it was valid to say they were the class leaders for studded and studless tires. But over the last 5 years or so Nokian winter tires have been equalled or surpassed by the offerings from Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli.

The Xi3 was introduced 8 years ago, and the independent, objective tests at that time revealed that the only significant weakness of the Xi3 was it slush planing performance. The new tread design of the X-Ice Snow suggests that weakness may have been remedied. But we will have to see how it does in independent testing.
Posted By: buck91

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 08:42 PM

When I had the X-ice 2 on my Mustang they were absolutely phenomenal. Can't imagine these aren't as good.
Posted By: edyvw

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 09:34 PM

They obviously addressed slush issue with Xi3.
Next season I am probably dumping Nokian R2 from Tiguan so maybe I give these a try. Though I am conflicted about Vikingcontact7 as they are just that good.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Nokian is feeling the heat from competitors. 10-20 years ago it was valid to say they were the class leaders for studded and studless tires. But over the last 5 years or so Nokian winter tires have been equalled or surpassed by the offerings from Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli.

The Xi3 was introduced 8 years ago, and the independent, objective tests at that time revealed that the only significant weakness of the Xi3 was it slush planing performance. The new tread design of the X-Ice Snow suggests that weakness may have been remedied. But we will have to see how it does in independent testing.

10-20 years ago Nokian's, on European market, largest winter tire market in the world, were afterthought except in Finland. I left Europe for US in 2005, and if one wanted top tier winter tire, he/she would go Good Year or Continental. Good Year was absolute king in 1990's in winter tire market in Europe. Continental took that throne in beginning of 2000's and it is not letting it go.
What we get here is mixed offering at best, though it is getting better.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/10/20 11:07 PM

SubLGT is showing USA bias but I think that edyvw is referring to certain winter tires called (depending on market/continent): performance or central Eurpean winter.
Goodyear Ultragrip (many numbers), Dunlop Wintersport M2 (and others) were the kings.

I was not following Scandinavian aka studless winter tires back then and I think it is where Nokian Hakkapellitta were shining bright until they were caught cheating with special formula tires (supposedly not only them),

I think that since introduction Xi3 (wow it is 8 years apo, time flies!) Nokian has not delivered. Maybe except studded tires. It is even more pronounced in the USA where Nokian charges super premium price while in Europe they are just below top tier pricing wise.

The good news for the customer is more selection from excellent choices.

Krzyś

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/11/20 01:56 AM

Back in Oct 2018 Michelin announced that they were designing a new winter tire for the North American market specifically, to be manufactured at their plant in Nova Scotia. I have not seen any further news about this new "North American winter tire". Perhaps this idea has been abandoned, and the Nova Scotia plant manufactures the X-Ice Snow. ??

https://www.rubbernews.com/article/...scotia-plant-ahead-of-winter-tire-launch

....GRANTON, Nova Scotia—Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. is budgeting $16 million in investments at its Granton plant to support the 2020 launch of a winter tire designed specifically for the North American market.

...The new tire will build on the success of the Latitude X-Ice XI2 winter tires built at the Granton plant for Canadian and U.S. markets.

I have not yet seen any specific information about availability of the X-Ice Snow in the North American market. For sure, it will be available in Northern Europe and Russia. I assume it will also be available in North America.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/11/20 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by krzyss
SubLGT is showing USA bias but I think that edyvw is referring to certain winter tires called (depending on market/continent): performance or central Eurpean winter.
Goodyear Ultragrip (many numbers), Dunlop Wintersport M2 (and others) were the kings.

I was not following Scandinavian aka studless winter tires back then and I think it is where Nokian Hakkapellitta were shining bright until they were caught cheating with special formula tires (supposedly not only them),

I think that since introduction Xi3 (wow it is 8 years apo, time flies!) Nokian has not delivered. Maybe except studded tires. It is even more pronounced in the USA where Nokian charges super premium price while in Europe they are just below top tier pricing wise.

The good news for the customer is more selection from excellent choices.

Krzyś

There were tires manufactured for northern Europe and especially Russian market always, but still largest manufacturers, Good Year, Continental, Dunlop etc. were leading the pack. Tires like Good Year Ultra Grip 4, 5, 6, 7, Continental TS series, Dunlop WIntersport were still most desirable tires even in those areas.
Many second tier tires are actually manufactured for Norther Europe and Russia and then rest of Europe like Sava Eskimo S2 and 3, Kleber, Barum etc. Those tires are usually sold as one model on all markets and are more aggressive. From my experience there, so called Central European winter tires were no worse in snow and ice than those made for Northern Europe and Russia.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/11/20 05:36 AM

Back in Oct 2018 Michelin announced that they were designing a new winter tire for the North American market specifically, to be manufactured at their plant in Nova Scotia. I have not seen any further news about this new "North American winter tire". Perhaps this idea has been abandoned, and the Nova Scotia plant manufactures the X-Ice Snow. ??

https://www.rubbernews.com/article/...scotia-plant-ahead-of-winter-tire-launch

....GRANTON, Nova Scotia—Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. is budgeting $16 million in investments at its Granton plant to support the 2020 launch of a winter tire designed specifically for the North American market.

...The new tire will build on the success of the Latitude X-Ice XI2 winter tires built at the Granton plant for Canadian and U.S. markets.

I have not yet seen any specific information about availability of the X-Ice Snow in the North American market. For sure, it will be available in Northern Europe and Russia. I assume it will also be available in North America.

It does not make sense, especially since Continental is obviously stepping up game on NA market.
Posted By: FordFocus

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/15/20 01:02 AM

Does anyone know if the SUV version will be identical to the passenger version or will they be there be differences? Also does anyone know what sizes will be available when it launches? I’m guessing Michelin would’ve announced this tire at the Detroit auto show this winter if they have not moved it to the summer. I wonder if they will announce it in June but it would totally be an off-season tire at that time of year.
Posted By: Rand

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/15/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by FordFocus
Does anyone know if the SUV version will be identical to the passenger version or will they be there be differences? Also does anyone know what sizes will be available when it launches? I’m guessing Michelin would’ve announced this tire at the Detroit auto show this winter if they have not moved it to the summer. I wonder if they will announce it in June but it would totally be an off-season tire at that time of year.

IIRC the normal procedure is:produce it in spring/summer for the winter season.

Also there is always some tread differences between sizes.. esp width.

With the current naming scheme who knows..

They could have called the xice xi2 latitude xice xi3 suv or similar.
it was odd they used different numbering on the generations for passenger vs truck models.

from memory the generations:
passenger xice truck nothing?
passenger xice xi2 truck xice latitude
passenger xice xi3 truck xice xi2 latitude.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/15/20 06:27 PM

It would not be surprising if Michelin just introduces tire without too much advertising. They will still fly off the shelf.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/15/20 07:46 PM

Also does anyone know what sizes will be available when it launches?

From 175/70 R14 up to 285/45 R22.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/16/20 05:23 PM

Will be looking particularly for 215/60R6 and 255/70R16 And read this
“ the X-Ice Snow tire range will be a total of 82 sizes for 14-22 inch rims. In 2021, the manufacturer will add another 41 dimensions”.
So just wondering what sizes will be in the first batch

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/16/20 09:01 PM

....So just wondering what sizes will be in the first batch

https://www.michelinman.com/contact-us.html

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/20/20 12:53 AM

Information is still just trickling out to the public. Michelin has not yet posted a press release about the X-Ice Snow at their website. Not sure why Michelin is doing a semi-stealthy introduction of a new tire.

Tire Review in the UK has a poorly written, confusing article about the Snow. No proof reading at TR-UK apparently.
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-X-Ice-Snow-Launched.htm

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/20/20 12:59 AM

...I think that since introduction Xi3 (wow it is 8 years apo, time flies!) Nokian has not delivered. Maybe except studded tires.......Krzyś

Yes, introduced January 2012.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2506308/New_Michelin_X-Ice_Xi3

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 02/20/20 05:26 AM

Information is still just trickling out to the public. Michelin has not yet posted a press release about the X-Ice Snow at their website. Not sure why Michelin is doing a semi-stealthy introduction of a new tire.

Tire Review in the UK has a poorly written, confusing article about the Snow. No proof reading at TR-UK apparently.
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-X-Ice-Snow-Launched.htm

The reason why Michelin does not have to advertise is their emphasis on performance when worn out. They are absolute king in retaining performance, and that shows in sales.
Person who had X-Ice3 will go next year to buy X-Ice3, and will see new tire and say: oh great.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/01/20 01:06 AM

Short videos gives nice view of tread

https://youtu.be/I_hpwIQRAzM

https://youtu.be/rfUt63DWKfI

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/02/20 07:43 PM

Michelin introduces the X-Ice Snow to the North American market:

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/ne...inter-tire-line-with-new-x-ice-snow-tire

....Introduced late last week during a ride-and-drive event near Montreal, Quebec, the Michelin X-Ice Snow targets passenger cars, SUVs and CUVs and will be available this coming fall in 82 T- and H-rated sizes, ranging from 14 inches to 22 inches in diameter. Forty-one more sizes will be added in 2021...

Features include:

...Next-generation, V-shaped tread design “providing 100% use of the (tire’s) contact patch for optimal grip performance on snow and ice and for exceptional slush performance,” according to Michelin officials, who add that the design “maintains its shape even when worn to continue providing grip in winter conditions;”

...Michelin’s proprietary Flex-Ice 2.0 tread compound, “a full silica-based compound to maintain flexibility in severe cold climate conditions;”

...Michelin’s EverGrip technologies, which boast a rigid polymer for improved grip on both snow and ice for the duration of the tire’s life, and;

...Two types of full-depth, interlocking 3D sipes “for an increased claw effect on snow and ice and for long-lasting biting edges.”

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/02/20 07:48 PM

Back in Oct 2018 Michelin announced that they were designing a new winter tire for the North American market specifically, to be manufactured at their plant in Nova Scotia. I have not seen any further news about this new "North American winter tire". Perhaps this idea has been abandoned, and the Nova Scotia plant manufactures the X-Ice Snow. ??...........I have not yet seen any specific information about availability of the X-Ice Snow in the North American market. For sure, it will be available in Northern Europe and Russia. I assume it will also be available in North America.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/ne...inter-tire-line-with-new-x-ice-snow-tire

Eighty-five-percent of Michelin’s North American volume for the Michelin X-Ice Snow will be manufactured at the company’s plant in Nova Scotia. The tire’s size line-up will cover 80% of the North American market, according to Sabrina Garofalo, product manager, winter, for Michelin.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/02/20 08:09 PM

https://michelinmedia.com/pages/blog/detail/article/c0/a961/

....The new X-Ice SNOW winter tire for passenger cars and SUVs has been developed, tested and proven in Michelin’s Nordic test centers under the most rigorous constant extreme-winter driving conditions. Notably, 85% of Michelin’s North American volume for the X-Ice SNOW tire will be produced in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Testing reveals that the new MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire features improved snow performance and braking as compared to its predecessor , stops [with 4mm tread depth] nearly 3 meters (10 feet) shorter on ice than a leading competitor [the NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3 SUV in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL]. , and lasts up to one additional winter season than the average of leading competitor tires.

“The new MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire is designed to give drivers peace of mind when driving in extreme winter conditions,” says Sylvaine Cuniberti, Michelin’s marketing director. “We have an exceptional winter tire with a new tread design and innovative technologies, resulting in improved snow performance and leadership in ice braking. The MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW provides drivers and passengers with long-lasting winter performance and continues to perform as an industry leader as it wears while being covered by a segment-exclusive [40,000 mile] limited treadwear warranty.”

The MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire replaces Michelin’s X-Ice® Xi3™ and Latitude X-Ice® Xi2™ tire lines and will be available Fall 2020 in 82 sizes with speed ratings T and H for passenger vehicles, CUVs and SUVs using 14 to 22-inch rim diameters. An additional 41 sizes will be introduced starting Fall 2021.

Testing details:
1 New, at 10,000 km, and when worn to 4 mm and 2 mm tread depth, the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire offers shorter snow and ice stopping distances on average than its predecessor, based on third-party snow braking test (between 35 km/h and 5 km/h) and ice braking test (between 30 km/h and 5 km/h), in December 2019 and January 2020: (1) on a Volkswagen® Golf 1.5 TSI comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-ICE® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL, and (2) on a Volkswagen® Tiguan comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW SUV tire versus MICHELIN® Latitude® X-Ice® Xi2 in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL.

2 Based on third-party ice braking test (between 30 km/h and 5 km/h) in December 2019 and January 2020, in a Volkswagen® Tiguan comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW SUV tire versus NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3 SUV in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL. Tires mechanically buffed, then 8,000 km performed in real usage in North Finland, until worn to 4 mm tread depth before being tested.

3 Based on third-party longevity tests, in North Finland between October 2019 and January 2020, on a Volkswagen® Golf 1.5 TSI comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus BRIDGESTONE® Blizzak WS-90, CONTINENTAL® Viking Contact 7, NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3, GOODYEAR® UltraGrip Ice 2, Pirelli® Ice Zero FR in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL. 12,000 kilometres driven per winter is estimated from annual average kilometres driven in Canada per vehicle by Desrosiers Automotive Consultants. A winter season is defined as six months.

4 Based on third-party ice braking test on a Volkswagen® Tiguan (between 30 km/h and 5 km/h), in December 2019 and January 2020, comparing: (1) the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW SUV tire versus, BRIDGESTONE® Blizzak DM-V2, CONTINENTAL® Viking Contact 7, NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3 SUV, GOODYEAR® UltraGrip Ice WRT SUV and TOYO® Observe GSI5 in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL and (2) on a Volkswagen® Golf 1.5 TSI comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus BRIDGESTONE Blizzak WS-90 and Blizzak Ice, CONTINENTAL® Viking Contact 7, NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3, GOODYEAR® UltraGrip Ice 2 and PIRELLI® Ice-Zero FR in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL. All tires mechanically buffed, then 8,000 km performed in real usage in North Finland until worn to 4 mm tread depth before being tested.

5 Based on: (1) internal hydroplaning longitudinal acceleration test performed in France in March 2019, on a Volkswagen® Golf 7 comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-Ice® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL and on: (2) internal hydroplaning curve test performed in Japan in February 2019, on an AUDI® A4, comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-Ice® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/02/20 08:25 PM

https://www.tirereview.com/michelin-x-ice-snow/

...Michelin invited tire dealers, distributors and members of the media to put the X-Ice Snow to the test through various courses at Circuit Mecaglisse, a motorsports complex about 80 miles north of Montreal. Participants careened through the snow-covered course experiencing the tire’s handling, braking and cornering in deep snow, packed snow and ice against its competitors. Using Hyundai Elantras and Ford Escapes in different tests, Michelin also shaved each tire to 4/32-in. of tread depth to show the Ice-X Snow’s lasting performance as the tire wears...

...Taking almost three years to develop, the X-Ice Snow was created based on feedback from tire dealers, distributors and consumers on what they wanted improved from the X-Ice 3, Cowart said. Their answer? A more aggressive tread pattern so that the tire’s look dictated its performance capabilities. Marco Troiano, key account manager involved in gaining that feedback, said it all made sense: “Tire dealers have a crunched window for selling winter tires and want one that screams, ‘I can handle the elements!’”
“A retailer is selling probably somewhere between 70-75% of their annualized winter volume in about eight weeks,” Troiano explained. “Because there’s so much volume going through those stores in a short period of time, the retailer themselves doesn’t have the time to go through all the tire’s features and benefits, so they wanted something where the consumer would come in, look and say, ‘Yes, it has the look as well as the performance.’”...
Posted By: UG_Passat

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/03/20 06:02 AM

Michelin Press Release

https://www.michelinmedia.com/pages/blog/detail/article/c0/a961/
Michelin introduced the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire ― the new generation of its superior winter tire designed for maximum mobility and safety, winter after winter ― in a special demonstration last week.

The new X-Ice SNOW winter tire for passenger cars and SUVs has been developed, tested and proven in Michelin’s Nordic test centers under the most rigorous constant extreme-winter driving conditions. Notably, 85% of Michelin’s North American volume for the X-Ice SNOW tire will be produced in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Testing reveals that the new MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire features improved snow performance and braking as compared to its predecessor1, stops nearly 3 meters (10 feet) shorter on ice than a leading competitor2, and lasts up to one additional winter season than the average of leading competitor tires.3

“The new MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire is designed to give drivers peace of mind when driving in extreme winter conditions,” says Sylvaine Cuniberti, Michelin’s marketing director. “We have an exceptional winter tire with a new tread design and innovative technologies, resulting in improved snow performance1 and leadership in ice braking4. The MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW provides drivers and passengers with long-lasting winter performance and continues to perform as an industry leader as it wears3,4, while being covered by a segment-exclusive limited treadwear warranty.”

The new MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire provides the necessary traction to overcome extreme winter conditions by relying on innovations that support the key characteristics of a winter tire:

· Next-generation V-shaped tread design: providing 100% use of the contact patch for optimal grip performance on snow and ice and for exceptional slush performance5. Maintains its shape even when worn to continue providing grip in winter conditions.

· FLEX-ICE 2.0™ tread compound: a unique rubber mix for use in a wide range of winter temperatures with a full silica-based compound to maintain flexibility in severe cold climate conditions.

· MICHELIN EverGrip™ technologies: an innovative tread compound with rigid polymer for improved grip on both snow and ice for the duration of the wear life.1

· Two types of full-depth, interlocking 3-D sipes: for an increased claw effect on snow and ice, and for long-lasting biting edges.

The MICHELIN X-Ice SNOW tire replaces Michelin’s X-Ice® Xi3™ and Latitude X-Ice® Xi2™ tire lines and will be available Fall 2020 in 82 sizes with speed ratings T and H for passenger vehicles, CUVs and SUVs using 14 to 22-inch rim diameters. An additional 41 sizes will be introduced starting Fall 2021.

For more details https://michelinmedia.com/x-ice-snow/

1 New, at 10,000 km, and when worn to 4 mm and 2 mm tread depth, the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire offers shorter snow and ice stopping distances on average than its predecessor, based on third-party snow braking test (between 35 km/h and 5 km/h) and ice braking test (between 30 km/h and 5 km/h), in December 2019 and January 2020: (1) on a Volkswagen® Golf 1.5 TSI comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-ICE® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL, and (2) on a Volkswagen® Tiguan comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW SUV tire versus MICHELIN® Latitude® X-Ice® Xi2 in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL.2 Based on third-party ice braking test (between 30 km/h and 5 km/h) in December 2019 and January 2020, in a Volkswagen® Tiguan comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW SUV tire versus NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3 SUV in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL. Tires mechanically buffed, then 8,000 km performed in real usage in North Finland, until worn to 4 mm tread depth before being tested.3 Based on third-party longevity tests, in North Finland between October 2019 and January 2020, on a Volkswagen® Golf 1.5 TSI comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus BRIDGESTONE® Blizzak WS-90, CONTINENTAL® Viking Contact 7, NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3, GOODYEAR® UltraGrip Ice 2, Pirelli® Ice Zero FR in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL. 12,000 kilometres driven per winter is estimated from annual average kilometres driven in Canada per vehicle by Desrosiers Automotive Consultants. A winter season is defined as six months.4 Based on third-party ice braking test on a Volkswagen® Tiguan (between 30 km/h and 5 km/h), in December 2019 and January 2020, comparing: (1) the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW SUV tire versus, BRIDGESTONE® Blizzak DM-V2, CONTINENTAL® Viking Contact 7, NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3 SUV, GOODYEAR® UltraGrip Ice WRT SUV and TOYO® Observe GSI5 in tire size 235/55R19 105H XL and (2) on a Volkswagen® Golf 1.5 TSI comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus BRIDGESTONE Blizzak WS-90 and Blizzak Ice, CONTINENTAL® Viking Contact 7, NOKIAN® Hakkappeliitta R3, GOODYEAR® UltraGrip Ice 2 and PIRELLI® Ice-Zero FR in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL. All tires mechanically buffed, then 8,000 km performed in real usage in North Finland until worn to 4 mm tread depth before being tested. 5 Based on: (1) internal hydroplaning longitudinal acceleration test performed in France in March 2019, on a Volkswagen® Golf 7 comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-Ice® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL and on: (2) internal hydroplaning curve test performed in Japan in February 2019, on an AUDI® A4, comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-Ice® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL.
Posted By: mightymousetech

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 12:40 PM

Looks promising. Maybe Michelin will finally have a winter tire that is not absolute garbage.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 03:31 PM

Are you calling Xi3 "absolute garbage"?
Or Pilot Alpin 5 or PA4?

Strange.

Krzys

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Looks promising. Maybe Michelin will finally have a winter tire that is not absolute garbage.

LOL, they are 10X better than Nokian Hakka R2 I have on Tiguan, since you are mentioning garbage.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 05:12 PM

Or Pilot Alpin 5 or PA4?

Strange.

Krzys

LOL, some people....

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 08:16 PM

https://autofile.ca/en-ca/auto-arti...tire-designed-by-and-built-for-canadians

...Most significant, I feel, is the fact the tread pattern and rubber compound are consistent all the way down to the two-millimetre minimum depth of the tread, not just to the four-mm snow bar. Typically, the sipes on other winter tires aren’t full depth and the compound transitions to an all-weather mix as the tread wears down. By maintaining the tread and compound, the X-ICE SNOW continues to provide the grip drivers are counting on in winter conditions....

...The track testing provided an opportunity to compare the X-ICE SNOW tire in both new and worn states. The first exercise featured identical AWD Ford Escapes on new X-ICE SNOWs and Nokian Hakkapeliita R3 SUV tires. The course of slaloms, straight runs and sweeping, icy corners, demonstrated the Michelin’s better grip as I could feel the Nokians understeering throughout the exercise. The abundance of snow tended to diminish the difference, but it was still apparent....

...For areas where studded tires are permitted, Michelin is also introducing a new product to the Canadian market for 2020. The X-ICE NORTH, which has been available in Europe for two years, is designed to deliver exceptional control in winter conditions.........This high level of performance has been achieved by advances in stud design and placement, as well as a new tread design. The number of studs has doubled to 250 and they’re a new design inspired by ones used by Michelin in the WRC Rally series. ...

X-Ice Xi3 on the left, X-ice Snow on the right

[Linked Image from res.cloudinary.com]

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 08:25 PM

https://www.wheels.ca/news/testing-the-new-michelin-x-ice-snow-at-circuit-mecaglisse/

...we’ll encourage you to recall that a winter tire’s performance is dictated by both molecular and mechanical attributes. The former is a closely guarded secret mixture of compounds that permit the tire to stay flexible in cold temperatures (this is why a Pilot Sport 4S will send you skidding into a snowbank despite its phenomenal summertime grip). The latter refers to features like tread design and the amount of void between tread blocks.......According to Michelin, the new X-Ice Snow carries its mechanical and molecular features all the way through its tread blocks down to a wear measure of 2/32 (about 1.5mm). ..

...X-Ice Snows made for SUVs have some components added to the tire so it can handle the extra weight of an SUV but retains the same rubber compounds and tread patterns...

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 08:36 PM

https://www.tirebusiness.com/news/michelin-unveils-x-ice-snow-its-next-gen-winter-tire

...When Group Michelin asked tire dealers and distributors what they wanted in the company's next winter tire, they said looks were everything. The X-Ice Xi3, which debuted in 2012, was a very good tire — top ranked in its category with 4.5 out of 5 stars on TireRack.com — but they said it didn't look aggressive enough to sell in the showroom...

..."Michelin listened to what they had to say and started with the look," Sabrina Garofalo, a marketing manager at Michelin North America (Canada) Inc., said. "Then they brought in all of the engineering to maximize the performance."...

X-Ice Snow design:
To give the X-Ice Snow its more aggressive look, Michelin got rid of the large center channel of the X-Ice Xi3, employing, instead a center V-shaped tread pattern and wider grooves throughout the tire. Officials said shifting the voids allows the tire to better evacuate sludge and snow, which gives the driver more confidence, especially when changing lanes on a snowy highway.

The V-tread design and center sipes are angled, and the blocks are off-set to give an even footprint and reduce noise.

Two types of full-depth, interlocking 3-D sipes give an increased grip — or "claw effect," as the company calls it — on snow and ice, and for long-lasting biting edges, the company said. The tire features both notched sipes and variable thickness sipes that undulate throughout the tread block to give grip but maintain stiffness.

The sipes run through the tread blocks to 2/32 of an inch to maintain the same tread pattern — and performance — throughout the life of the tire.

The tire is made with Michelin's FlexIce 2 compound, which is an update of the compound used in the X-Ice Xi3. It's a full silica compound that stays flexible in freezing temperatures but firm in moderate temperatures, the company said. The company said the new compound reduces rolling resistance by 9% over the X-Ice Xi3.

...The company said that because the X-Ice Snow is a global tire, it was important to localize production to be more responsive to the needs of specific markets around the world. The North American version will be produced at the Michelin plant in Pictou, Nova Scotia. "It's a very nimble plant," a Michelin spokesperson said. "And we will be able to react quicker to changes in the market because of it." The X-Ice Snow will also be produced in France, Germany, Hungary and Poland for the European market; China for the Asian market; and in Russia for the Eurasia market.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/07/20 08:52 PM

One statement from Michelin about the X-Ice Snow that caught my attention was:

....Next-generation V-shaped tread design [...] for exceptional slush performance (5).

Footnote (5): Based on: (1) internal hydroplaning longitudinal acceleration test performed in France in March 2019, on a Volkswagen® Golf 7 comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-Ice® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL and on: (2) internal hydroplaning curve test performed in Japan in February 2019, on an AUDI® A4, comparing the MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW tire versus MICHELIN® X-Ice® Xi3 in tire size 205/55R16 94H XL.....

The Xi3 was demonstrably inferior to its top tier competitors in the few objective slush-planing tests that appeared online, and it appears that Michelin was aware of this.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/08/20 12:53 AM

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/michelin-x-ice-snow-tire/

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/08/20 12:29 PM

Or Pilot Alpin 5 or PA4?

Strange.

Krzys

Yes, the Xi3. If you need to handle severe winter conditions, it is one of the worst winter tires available. It does have its place. Here in Canada, if you live somewhere like Vancouver or Southern Ontario that is just cold, and sees mostly rain or the odd light snow, they are ok.

At several dealerships I have worked at here in Ottawa, they refuse to sell them.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/08/20 03:32 PM

Maybe you are in perfect spot to try their studded winter tires. Xi3 were more than enough in the hills of MA (300m above sea level).

Krzyś

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/08/20 07:07 PM

Maybe you are in perfect spot to try their studded winter tires. Xi3 were more than enough in the hills of MA (300m above sea level).

Krzyś

Would love to, but studded tires are illegal here.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/08/20 07:22 PM

Will the xice North come pre-studded to Canada or will it be only available unstudded and the tire shop will have to use generic studs?

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/09/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Will the xice North come pre-studded to Canada or will it be only available unstudded and the tire shop will have to use generic studs?

It will no doubt come with Michelin's unique factory studs. A single 205/55R16 X-Ice North-4 tire has 250 studs installed. I can't see a tire dealer being willing to install 1000 studs in a set of 4 tires.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/10/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

It will no doubt come with Michelin's unique factory studs. A single 205/55R16 X-Ice North-4 tire has 250 studs installed. I can't see a tire dealer being willing to install 1000 studs in a set of 4 tires.

I wouldn't assume anything.

A shop can install 1000 studs on a set of tires. There are equipment that will make the process faster and easier for the shop, for less often studding.

https://brunowessel.com/studding-equipment/semi-automatic-studding-machine/

or less expensive would be a gun system
https://brunowessel.com/studding-equipment/stud-insertion-tool/

A tire dealer that studs would be charging money to stud tires. Not everything a tire installer does is glamorous.
Posted By: weebl

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/24/20 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mightymousetech

Yes, the Xi3. If you need to handle severe winter conditions, it is one of the worst winter tires available. It does have its place. Here in Canada, if you live somewhere like Vancouver or Southern Ontario that is just cold, and sees mostly rain or the odd light snow, they are ok.

At several dealerships I have worked at here in Ottawa, they refuse to sell them.

I echo your feelings about the X-Ice Xi3.

In 2012, I had to borrow my in-laws' van for a fair bit of driving. They had on X-Ice Xi2, and for the conditions I encountered, mostly just ice in various forms, they seemed to perform well, and my wife wasn't a fan of the General Altimax Arctics we had on, though I was hugely impressed with them.

Fast forward a year to fall 2013, and we bought a second vehicle, a 2014 Passat TDI manual. The 2006 Sienna had a damaged winter tire beyond repair, and no luck finding a matched used tire to the rest of the set. Costco had a Michelin sale. So, based on the Xi2, I bought the new Xi3.

Boy, was I disappointed and underwhelmed. Nothing stellar about snow/slush performance, and horrendous ice performance. Both vehicles, with different tire sizes, vehicle dynamics and drivetrains, and I found the same thing, ABS kicking on a lot when stopping on icy surfaces, even if it was just a frost coating on otherwise bare pavement. Similar starting off, wheels spinning (or traction control kicking in) on icy surfaces, even just mildly so. I never recalled any other previous winter tires I had perform so poorly. I gladly let VW buy back the TDI with the Michelin winters on, and when I got our replacement for the TDI in October 2017, I also wanted the Xi3s gone off the van.

So, the van got Continental ExtremeWinterContacts, which I got a phenomenal close out deal on. The Tiguan got Canadian Tire/Cooper WinterEdge. All I could say was wow, for both vehicles, both tires: no more problems on ice, save for the most extreme cases where only studs could handle it, and even then, had just enough traction to be manageable. Snow and slush improved too. I suspect I would have found the same no matter what non-Michelin winter tire I picked.

So this is definitely a welcome update, but I am not holding my breath. I've already moved on from Michelin winter tires, and there is no way I am gambling on these, regardless of any rave reviews they get (like the Xi3 did), as the praises seem to be coming from people with a Michelin love-in.

I myself don't hate Michelin, my best all-season tire ever was made by them. I just think you need to evaluate their tires on a case-by-case basis, just like tires from any other company.

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 03/24/20 08:57 PM

There may have been a manufacturing issue with the Xi3 tires, perhaps an incorrect rubber formulation.

https://shina.guide/press/16270/

Google translation:
..Comparative tests published by Motor with a difference of three years showed a deterioration in the performance of Michelin X-Ice 3 tires....Looking at the constancy of the results of Pirelli and Goodyear tires in Motor tests, the conclusion suggests that the characteristics of the new Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires of the 2015 and 2018 model are significantly different and not for the better....

...In looking for the reasons for the performance degradation, we turned our attention to the countries in which the tires were made, says technical specialist Shina.Guide . Pirelli tires in both cases were produced in Russia, Goodyear tires in Poland, while Michelin X-Ice 3 tires tested in the 2015 test were produced in Spain (week 29 of 2014) , and in the 2018 test in Russia (17th week of 2017) ...

...Despite the statements of manufacturing companies that the country of production does not affect the quality of tires, we can assume that the features of production at various plants nevertheless leave a certain imprint on the characteristics and quality of tires....

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 04/05/20 06:07 PM

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/737674/michelin-brings-x-ice-4-north-to-canada

Michelin dealers in Canada will be able to sell the company’s X-Ice 4 North winter tire later this year.

The tire, which has been sold in Europe for several years, will be available in 30 sizes, ranging from 15 to 20 inches in diameter, and will serve as “a nice complement” to the recently introduced Michelin X-Ice Snow, according to Michelin officials. (The X-Ice 4 North is “only for Canada,” while the X-Ice Snow will be available in both Canada and the United States.)

The X-Ice 4 North will sport 250 tire studs arranged “according to a mathematical algorithm,” says Sabrina Garofalo, product manager, winter, Michelin. It also will feature a V-shaped tread design optimized for grip “in all winter conditions,” as well as a “Nordic” rubber compound for enhanced traction at lower temperatures, plus long overall tire life.

The tire will hit the Canadian market in October 2020.

[Linked Image from images.moderntiredealer.com]
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow" - 04/05/20 07:47 PM

Just throwing this out there: On my 328i xDrive the Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO SERIE II has been great when driving around the Tahoe area during the skiing season. Studded tires would be a bit better on ice.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy