Michelin recalls CrossClimate+ 225/60R16 103V XL tires code 4618

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manufacturing issue. Happens. Look at it this way - some folks that invested in Michelin tires got an extra year free!

Originally Posted by Throt
A date code of 4618 means they were produced mid-November 2018. Wonder what took them so long to notice the issue....

If I had actually bought a set of these tires around then, they would probably be well on their way to being worn out by now...which would mean the recall would be a great deal for me!
Unless I had hated the things, of course...

Originally Posted by Throt
A date code of 4618 means they were produced mid-November 2018. Wonder what took them so long to notice the issue....

I read the supporting documents and Michelin says that 2 versions where produced by their plant in Spain - and US version and a European version - and they got mixed. 32 of the Euro versions got sent to the US, some of which were sent to Tire Rack, who in Sep 2019 picked up on the missing DOT. Michelin was able to corral 20, leaving 12 unaccounted for - hence the recall.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
It's missing the UTQG wear rating in the mold.... Nothing detrimental to performance

Is the CrossClimate legally a winter tire due to having the 3-peak sign? UTQG ratings aren't required on winter tires

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
I read the supporting documents and Michelin says that 2 versions where produced by their plant in Spain - and US version and a European version - and they got mixed. 32 of the Euro versions got sent to the US, some of which were sent to Tire Rack, who in Sep 2019 picked up on the missing DOT. Michelin was able to corral 20, leaving 12 unaccounted for - hence the recall.

I didn't know they were different
crazy2.gif

I thought they'd all have DOT codes. Wouldn't it make sense to just have DOT codes on all their tires?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
It's missing the UTQG wear rating in the mold.... Nothing detrimental to performance

Is the CrossClimate legally a winter tire due to having the 3-peak sign? UTQG ratings aren't required on winter tires

crazy2.gif

I thought they'd all have DOT codes. Wouldn't it make sense to just have DOT codes on all their tires?

All Euro tires must have DOT code.

For a person that constantly pushes these type of tires instead of all-seasons, I'm surprised you don't know much about them.

These are marketed to be used year-round, so UTQG ratings are required.

Sounds like you don't personally run a all-weather tire

A pure winter tire to be used in the winter only, are not required to have UTQG ratings

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

crazy2.gif

All Euro tires must have DOT code.

I was puzzled by that as well. What I really suspect is that they used the pre-production molds - ones that should have been updated with the UTQG ratings and DOT coding. They just didn't want to admit they had an oversight. (Just an FYI: I have gotten the impression that there are parts of the world where anything "American" is looked down upon - even something as minor as tire stamping required by US regulations.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back