Home

What’s the best price for a set

Posted By: ShutdownCorner

What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:01 PM

What’s the best price I could expect for a set of 4 new tires, no warranty?
Posted By: Astro14

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:12 PM

In what size?
Posted By: csandste

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:19 PM

Price depends on size.

Researched low end tires for my girlfriend. Starfire Solarus. Priced like a Chinese tire but they're Coopers and made in Mississippi. She ordered 'em from Walmart. Not the greatest tire in the world but very quiet and hopefully they'll at least be the equivalent of the OEM Kumhos. I told her to pull the trigger because I expect the cost will go up greatly without the Chinese competition. Plus if tariffs stop a Chinese tire from getting imported and you have to replace one, then the availability of this one is more of a sure thing.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:21 PM

On a scale of detailed to unintelligibly vague this hit kittens in a closet.
Posted By: pandus13

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:22 PM

simpletire dot com
tire-easy dot com
onlinetires dot com
walmart
amazon?

May be older stock (1-3 maybe even more, date of manufacturing; you will only find out when you receive them)
Posted By: atikovi

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:56 PM

I vote this the most vague thread of the year.

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Astro14
In what size?

P21560r17
Posted By: JMJNet

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 10:01 PM

$0.00
Posted By: kschachn

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 10:27 PM

Depends on the surgeon.
Posted By: JLTD

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 10:41 PM

You want new tires, or used? You can probably get a mismatched set of 4 decent tires at $15 a pop at a junkyard, or, if CA allows them, a used tire place.

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by JLTD
You want new tires, or used? You can probably get a mismatched set of 4 decent tires at $15 a pop at a junkyard, or, if CA allows them, a used tire place.

Yeah my preference is new tires
Posted By: PandaBear

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 11:09 PM

When I got really lucky, probably $200 for a set of 4 during some sort of sales + rebate + coupon code online, exclude mounting.
Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 11:24 PM

For 215/60-17

Walmart has tires for $50 each in that size plus $15 installation, making the total $260
($200 without install, $260 with install)
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/21/19 11:56 PM

Then again, sometimes you luck out.

2 years ago, I was browsing through Amazon, and came across their listing for Nankang SP-9 tires in 215/55r17. Normal price was roughly $76 each or something like that. Many of you know that Amazon has pricing algorithms that sometimes act unpredictably, and for these tires, it appeared that the price was dropping by a few cents every minute, so they were down in the $42 range, each. I kept watching, and eventually they were down to just a hair over $39 per tire. Additionally, there was a coupon you could clip for $25. I thought it was for a set, but it turned out to be PER TIRE. Bottom line, I got 4 new tires for $56, delivered.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 02:07 AM

Used is cheapest. You can do pretty well.
New? You can get some pretty rank tires. Probably Wally World or Pep Girls.
Wheel Works has a cheap line; they are OK. I hate 'em.
Not for me.
Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 02:21 AM

Something tells me this isnt your first account on BITOG. Which banned member are you?
Posted By: Donald

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by atikovi

+1 - although it could be topped by asking "whats the best price I can expect to pay for a car"
Posted By: krzyss

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 10:34 AM

I think houses have bigger price spread ;-)

Krzyś
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 11:18 AM

LOL A good laugh with my morning coffee, I appreciate that.

Go to each of the sites pandus13 listed, enter your tire size, and check the selection using sort by price. Should give you a good idea of lowest price(s) for a set of tires. When you settle on a tire, check price of that tire again on those sites.

Posted By: supton

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
On a scale of detailed to unintelligibly vague this hit kittens in a closet.

LOL
Posted By: supton

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 11:47 AM

Well, I did a set on my car for $110. A used car dealer had taken in a similar year Camry that had snows on all four corners--and a nearly new set of RT43's in the trunk. He just wanted them gone so he listed the nearly new set on CL for $100. I have a HF tire changer so I swapped them onto a set of rims (those were CL finds also, but I won't count their cost here as that's not important) and then paid a local shop $10 to balance.

Deals like that tend to be hard to be a bit rare though...

I've heard of getting junkyard tires and all that, but I wonder if a set of Douglas tires from Walmart isn't a better deal. Still. Have you done *any* online shopping yet? Around here I can go onto Walmart's site, Town Faire Tire, and probably two others and get a set of quotes with almost no work on my part. Then I could hit up shops that don't list prices online and see what they'd give me.
Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 12:34 PM

We had the OEM tires pulled off our daughter's new Impreza because they had horrendous online reviews and the OEMs on my FXT (different tire) were brutally bad in winter conditions, then consigned the tires through the indy shop that installed RT43s on the Impreza. It took some months, but they eventually sold for $150 and we got 75% of it or whatever.

Contact a local indy tire shop that has a good reputation and see what they have lying around...the tires we got rid of probably had less than 100 miles on them. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody, but they would be better than running bald tires (I guess?).

It may have been a knee jerk reaction to dump tires we had no experience with, but I looked at them closely and they had no siping or anything else that suggested to me that they would get the job done on ice or in snow. My daughter was/is a student and was not going to drive during bad storms, but we wanted tires that would get her through the aftermath of bad winter weather. The tires that came on my car had similarly bad online reviews that matched my experience of feeling helpless with 2" of snow on the street (I left a review on TireRack myself), so that was enough for me to insist we get rid of the Impreza's OEM tires and slap RT43s on there. Subaru is getting a bad reputation for using crummy tires on their cars...
Posted By: pandus13

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Donald

+1 - although it could be topped by asking "whats the best price I can expect to pay for a car"

car = Flying Smoking Volvo?
Posted By: UG_Passat

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 02:43 PM

Surprisingly, from America's Tire, it is not a cheap Chinese tire.

https://www.americastire.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/215-60-17

It's Japanese tire, an old Falken tire. $57 each
Posted By: The Critic

Re: What’s the best price for a set - 05/22/19 04:51 PM

I cannot understand your thought process. You posted a thread with almost no information and you are expecting useful answers? How is this fair to the rest of us?
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy