Home

Help me pick a color for my rims

Posted By: Dylan1303

Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 06:38 AM

Ive been wanting to powder coat my rims for awhile now. Im thinking gloss white or gloss black. Heres a factory pic of my car, mine looks the same in every way and same rims.

Attached picture 03091DE1-1642-4B74-8B8D-57862871CD49.jpeg

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 06:39 AM

The oem color is called ice metallic blue. Its more less a shiny baby blue.
Posted By: userfriendly

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 06:44 AM

What is the bolt pattern, 5 on 100? How about 18X8" black aftermarket wheels and 225/40/18 tires?

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 06:53 AM

5x105 stupid pattern. Id rather keep my eco 16in rims. They weigh like 16 pounds.
Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 07:54 AM

I think a bright white would be best.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 08:48 AM

Leave it alone, imho
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 08:59 AM

Tough with that color...hard to match. Bronze maybe?
Posted By: Char Baby

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 09:46 AM

Yeah, I like the OE silver color just fine with that sky blue paint
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 10:24 AM

Spacesaver yellow appears to be a popular choice these days.
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Leave it alone, imho

This. The sock wheels on those care are beautiful.
Posted By: IndyIan

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 01:24 PM

IMHO, certainly not white, and probably not black either. Maybe a darker metallic grey? I'd play around on the tire rack wheel app and see how dark grey looks. Is the grill grey, maybe match that?
If you've got time to kill, maybe brush/polish the lip and clear coat it. I like the look of brushed aluminum.
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 01:35 PM

What is this going to gain you? Cover curb rash? Get you 2 MPG better mileage covering them with 0W-20 may be more help in that sense.
Posted By: meep

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 01:55 PM

White was a brief thing in the '80s, and to my eye it never really settled. It passed like a fad after something like 3 years.

Black is in vogue right now. I used to love the look because it looked more industrial and "bad" in 80's slang. In my circles, it came about as the look run for a rally or rallycross course where folks ran steelies out of need. But it doesn't work on everything. To my eye a clean unmodified car with black wheels /risks/ looking fake, whereas a lowered/lifted/modified vehicle with black wheels fits better.

I'll second the "go to tire rack" and play suggestion.

Oh, one more point - oem rims, recolored, look like recolored oem wheels. It doesn't work. I did it and was not impressed after I got over the "look what I did" thing. If you want a different look, IMO just saving up and buying aftermarket wheels is the way to go. Or better yet, invest in a different mod with more functional purpose. Or save for retirement. "The truth about cars" boards are full of stats today about the poor state of American's financial savings.

-m
Posted By: LotI

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:03 PM

Everybody runs black nowadays so skip it. You know someone rashed their wheels if you see matte-black plasti-dip.

How about bronze? Or, how about one spoke per wheel painted a different color? It would be unique.
Posted By: Schmoe

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:08 PM

Flat black. You don't want those rims outshining the paint or the other black surfaces.
Posted By: czbrian

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:22 PM

Leave it alone or some variation of silver or gray.
Posted By: Vladiator

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:45 PM

Gunmetal Gray. I'd find it in sprayable vinyl first, like AutoDip. If you decide you don't like it after some time - just peel it off and move on to the next color.

P.S. But I am on the "leave it alone" team. Stock silver complements the car paint nicely.
Posted By: skyactiv

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:48 PM

Leave them as is. Are you trying to make your car look less of a girls car?
Posted By: AZjeff

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What is this going to gain you? Cover curb rash? Get you 2 MPG better mileage covering them with 0W-20 may be more help in that sense.

So you've never done anything to a car for looks? It's going to gain him a little personalization, nothing wrong with that.

Not white and not glossy anything. Flat black screams low rent Plastidip. A darker grey or graphite or bronze would probably be OK.

Another choice is a different OEM wheel. Don't know if there's a take-off wheel market on Cruze wheels but it's another choice.
Posted By: Voleak

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 02:57 PM

Titanium Gunmetal color would look great on your car.
Posted By: CT8

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 03:07 PM

I like the oem color
Posted By: JustN89

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 03:18 PM

If you are set on white or black- black. White would make it look a little too feminine for me.

If you're open to colors outside of white and black, I would plastidip them in different colors to see what you like most. I'd try a bronze, gunmetal gray, even orange. If you don't like it, simply peel it off and try a different color.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of those rims but I understand wanting to stick with them. I think trying a different variation of colors with something that is easily removable would be your best bet.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 03:27 PM

You may not like my opinion, but you asked, so here it is...I absolutely hate black wheels on ANY vehicle...I have two rules when it comes to vehicles; wheels should be chrome, and paint should be glossy...
Posted By: Duffyjr

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 04:21 PM

It looks good the way it is but I like the gun metal gray idea if you have to do a change. Maybe the spokes in the grey and leave the outer lip silver. Something like this.

Attached picture 310_FENTON_Ramrod.JPG
Posted By: NYSteve

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 04:24 PM

Between white or black, would go black butmy go to would be gunmetal grey.
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 04:26 PM

I agree. Black wheels RARELY ever look good, IMHO. They always strike me as "dirty". Now, I have seen some that are exceptions, but they are rare.

Personally, I think the wheels look great as they are right now. They go well with the color and look of the car, BUT, if you feel you must change them, a titanium or gunmetal grey, like this color:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: maxdustington

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 04:56 PM

Black wheels are SO played out unless they are steelies. I don't think people realize that the shift towards black painted wheels is because they are cheaper on new cars than chrome or polishing. Any colour but black, bronze is a good alternative but I would save for a new* set of quality brand name wheels that can perhaps be used on a future car or resold. Grats on not picking up a set of cheap aftermarket wheels, I would rather even black painted stockers any day of the week.

EDIT: New or used set* I always see used wheels on Kijiji, you might be be able to find a set of better factory wheels from a different model/car. OEM wheels outside of their application can be pretty cool, especially if they are from a different brand.

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Black wheels are SO played out unless they are steelies. I don't think people realize that the shift towards black painted wheels is because they are cheaper on new cars than chrome or polishing. Any colour but black, bronze is a good alternative but I would save for a new* set of quality brand name wheels that can perhaps be used on a future car or resold. Grats on not picking up a set of cheap aftermarket wheels, I would rather even black painted stockers any day of the week.

EDIT: New or used set* I always see used wheels on Kijiji, you might be be able to find a set of better factory wheels from a different model/car. OEM wheels outside of their application can be pretty cool, especially if they are from a different brand.

I know a lot of people who actually think black wheels look good...to me they just look like they're covered in brake dust...
Posted By: Pew

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 06:23 PM

Black would not compliment the color of that car. A gunmetal grey would be the darkest and only color I'd choose other than the OEM silver on that baby blue since the windows are tinted.
Posted By: Tdog02

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 08:36 PM

Chrome maybe?
Posted By: spk2000

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/12/18 09:29 PM

When you just can't decide go for all the colors!!

Attached picture Multi Rim.jpg
Posted By: Cujet

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/13/18 05:51 PM

I think wheels look best when they are 2 contrasting finishes. Whether aluminum and grey, or painted a dull silver with chrome.
Posted By: George Bynum

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/13/18 09:38 PM

Please be wary of (otherwise excellent) facilities doing powder coating. Aluminum wheels are heat treated, and SOME powder coating processes heat it enough to weaken it. Many shops don't understand this.
Posted By: NGRhodes

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/13/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by George Bynum
Please be wary of (otherwise excellent) facilities doing powder coating. Aluminum wheels are heat treated, and SOME powder coating processes heat it enough to weaken it. Many shops don't understand this.

What kinda temperatures are you talking about ?
Posted By: George Bynum

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/14/18 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NGRhodes
What kinda temperatures are you talking about ?

Depends on the alloy used, but it is time and temperature dependent ... I've never seen any alloy sensitive at 250F, most are at 350F. I'd have no worries with 2 hours at 250F, but may be wrong. I believe that cast and forged wheels are different alloys ... and would not exceed 250F without KNOWING the alloy.

Re: Help me pick a color for my rims - 10/15/18 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tdog02
Chrome maybe?

Careful there, someone's going to call you old...
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy