Which of these three tires for the Mustang?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gf's 2007 4.0 Mustang. We've narrowed it down to these three:

Hankook Optimo H724
Cooper Trendsetter SE
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring NT

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. I'd pick the Coopers if all things were equal, like pricing and availability.

The Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring NT are the best of those 3. Longer tread life and more sipes in the tread.

The Cooper Trendsetter SE are ok if they are much cheaper than the Uniroyal. If not then get the Uniroyal.

Since its a Mustang, lets go with traditional American brands for a traditional American muscle car look. I know its the V6 one, yet still a Mustang....
Can we add one or two? ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT (T-SPEED RATED) - SIZE: 215/65R16 if she has the 16" wheels
The Coopers or Uniroyals are American names.
When it comes to Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and Corvettes, for pete's sake keep it all American.

Had the hankooks before and never could get them balanced properly. Ended up giving them away.

Cooper trendsetter looks like a cheapo tire for 80s Cadillacs that need a white wall. I'd pass on those for sure.

I would definitely consider some other options. What's your size and budget per tire? You can likely do better than these crummy options.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Gf's 2007 4.0 Mustang. We've narrowed it down to these three:

Hankook Optimo H724
Cooper Trendsetter SE
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring NT

I put Trendsetters on my 1975 2002. No complaints.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices

I would definitely consider some other options. What's your size and budget per tire? You can likely do better than these crummy options.

Ditto. I'd break my no-Chinese tire rule and even consider a Milestar or Sailun. Maybe a Sumitomo or even spend a little more and get the much-exalted RT43s. Unlike Conti's thinking with bringing in European-made Barum as a "budget" tire(America's/Discount Tire has them), Michelin doesn't make Uniroyal even in their Thai or Chinese plants. They farmed that out to Hankook in the past but now an Indonesian firm makes them.

Too bad base V6 'stangs use the same tire sizes as a Sienna or the 2nd gen 2002-2007 Honda CR-V.

She's got some friends that work in one of the dealerships here that give her the hookup on prices and those three are what they have. And Discount Tire seems so iffy these days on getting quality work done.

What good is a hookup when those tires are almost all mediocre? I have a feeling those dealerships throw those tires on used cars.

If I had to pick from those three only, it's a toss-up between the Hankook or Uniroyal but a lot better can be had for not much more. As much as I'd rather use a major-brand tire made in North/South America, Europe or Korea/Japan the Chinese makers might win on the value proposition. The local Lexus dealer offers this as their "good" tire even though I feel if you can afford a luxury car, you can afford nice tires but this seems to have good reviews and a decent following here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Milestar-MS93...3ZeQrN5NBRZbnic

Last edited:
Is your tire size 215/65-16?

You might be better served with the Vredestein Sportrac 5

Originally Posted By: nthach
What good is a hookup when those tires are all mediocre? I have a feeling those dealerships throw those tires on used cars.

01.gif

She's got some friends that work in one of the dealerships here that give her the hookup on prices and those three are what they have. And Discount Tire seems so iffy these days on getting quality work done.

What was the price? And what tire size do you have?

Look at walmart.com for the General Exclaim HPX A/S. If they don;t have those in your size check out the general RT43s.

Why would you narrow it down to three low end tires for a semi-performance vehicle? Those all seem like poor choices and will not allow for any spirited driving in an automobile that is meant to be "driven."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Yep,that's her tire size.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
What was the price?

I think they quoted her around $50 a tire for the Coopers.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
Why would you narrow it down to three low end tires for a semi-performance vehicle? Those all seem like poor choices and will not allow for any spirited driving in an automobile that is meant to be "driven."

Problem is that a V6 Mustang uses a tire size that's a common minivan/SUV size(the 2004-2010 Siennas, 1999-2004 Odyssey, 2nd gen CR-V and Volvo XC70/VW Tiguan use that size) so most tires of that size will be touring or standard tires.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
What was the price?

I think they quoted her around $50 a tire for the Coopers.

If you can get the Uniroyal for $50 I would go with those. Not a lot of options in your tire size as thats a common mini-van size.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Yep,that's her tire size.

Cool
thumbsup2.gif

Then the Sportrac 5 I linked earlier is the best choice for your usage
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back