Tire choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This is a piggy back on my post earlier this week about wheels and tires. After reading your responses and having a talk with my wallet, we came to the decision that a good set of tires is the way to go versus new wheels and new tires. My main objective with new tires is to improve handling and road noise.

Currently have on a Kuhmo Solus in 215/55/17. Thinking about going up to a 225/50/17 for a few reasons.

1) Slightly shorter sidewall which I'm assuming will help with body roll, even if marginally.
2) FAR more choices than the 215/55/17

My final two choices are Michelin Premier A/S or Michelin Defenders.

The Premier's are stickier and I'm worried that will increase body roll more than the shorter sidewall of the 225/50/17 will be able to reduce. But the Defenders don't handle as well and are much harder (90,000 mile warranty).

So I can't decide, do I keep stock size (215/55/17) or change to 225/50/17 and which tire do I pick! Too many factors for me to get my head around to achieve desired result.

The 225/50/17's are tad wider than the stock size and the diameter will go down slightly (which yes I know will change my speedo, not worried about that, only changes it by about 1mph.)

Last edited:
You're so right regarding the amount of "factors to get your head around".

My take is more abbreviated and sounds harsh. It isn't.

1) Stick with stock size-NO EXPLANATION NEEDED. You're no track racer. Anyone would be hard pressed to detect any difference.
2) I'd select the tire with the highest wear rating (the 3 digit number). There'll be enough traction for Ohio use. If there isn't enough traction, you're driving too fast.

Good luck with your decision

Why not the new Michelin CrossClimate+? They come in both 215/55R17 and 225/50R17. They are all seasons that have summer tire dry capability and near snow tire winter traction. When it comes to safety, price is a small thing to pay for.

I don't see any problem with adjusting up to a 225. I have done it before in order to get more tire choices. between the premier and defender, I don't see much difference in the tread patterns. they both have similar tread groove width and similar siping. the traction rating is the same for both tires. that being said, I would get the Defenders because they have a deeper tread: 10/32 vs 9/32. this will have two benefits: better dispersion of water and snow, and longer tire life. as a bonus, they cost a little less than the Premiers.

Last edited:
Look into the Pirelli Cinturato P7, I had a set on my VW, incredible tire. Quiet and great handling.

My aunt put a set on her VW in 215/55-17 size and VW bought it back, but we had a set of junk tires put on it before the turn in and kept the Pirellis. Her Avalon has the same tire size so the Pirellis are waiting to go on when the OE Michelin’s are worn out.

What with help with body roll as you call it more than anything is having tires with 2 ply sidewalls instead of 1 ply sidewalls.
When I owned a WRX, I bought a set of Kumhos at DT to replaced the OEM Bridgestones. The Kumho tires had 1 ply sidewalls while the OEM tires had
2 ply sidewalls. The Kumho's has less steering response and body roll. I went back to DT and got BF Goodrich tires with 2 ply sidewalls that were much better.
The number of plys of the tread and sidewalls is stated on your OEM tires.

There's really no reason to change the tire size, except minus-sizing for winter tires.

Both cars in your sig are 2017's and probably still have the original tires on them. This is important because OE tires are usually garbage for anything but achieving CAFE numbers. Therefore, almost any tire will give you better handling.

I second the CrossClimate+ if you're only using a single tire year-round.

But, if you can, get a second set of wheels/tires for the winter. You can probably afford them given that you have a brand new car. Also, summer tires are quieter and better handling than all-season tires
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Throt
The 225/50/17's are tad wider than the stock size and the diameter will go down slightly (which yes I know will change my speedo, not worried about that, only changes it by about 1mph.)
Check fender clearance on http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp to be sure what you're getting.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Look into the Pirelli Cinturato P7, I had a set on my VW, incredible tire. Quiet and great handling.

+1 on Pirelli. I'm choosing to go with the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus when it comes time to get new tires for my Malibu, 225/55R17. Tread depth is 12/32 and great review ratings. Less expensive than Michelins also.

If you don't like body roll see if you can get a stiffer sway bar.

If you don't like tire squealing and understeering, get something grippier.

But a stickier tire will lead to more body roll.

I ended up sticking with the OEM size of 215/55/17 and purchased a set of Michelin Premier A/S. I upped the air pressure to 38 instead of 34. So far I’m very happy with them. They didn’t let me down on the last 2 cars I put them on so I stuck with the Michelin Man. After rebates and selling my OEM, this $750 set of tires is gonna cost me about $420. Can’t beat that!

Too help with body roll I’m going to install: https://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/37/sfID3/165/productID/808

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back